I have often wondered... Is it apathy? Do people know, but just don't care (are careless)? Do you blame texting for the misuse of words? Do people know better, but carry over the shortcuts into normal conversation? Is proper grammar no longer pertinent, or does it have its time and place (and if so, where would that be)? Should it be left to the listener to interpret intent, or is that the responsibility of the speaker? Are teachers or the education system at fault or are we as students failing at making better use of the resources available to us? Is it a deliberate, intended use of creative expression? I have expanded the timeline on this question, because I find the topic interesting. By the number of responses received thus far, apparently others do as well, with varying opinions on the subject.
imathinkin imathinkin 51-55, F 46 Answers May 22, 2010

I think that the internet and especially the texting craze have contributed to the decline in spelling and grammar. When I was young, good spelling and neatness counted. What is bad is that in business, where I work plus other businesses I deal with, I often run across some truly illiterate phrases. Not very professional to say the least. What is strange to me is that most computers come with some form of spell checking and even syntax checking which I find helpful when I make a typo. By the way, contractions turn two words into one using the apostrophe. You're = you are. This should answer your question.

Best Answer

While I disagree that texting is a cause, it probably aids in hiding the obvious...you had a lot of good things to say.

Best Answer

It's an improvement on Ur

Best Answer

Because they do not care!...You'll find that out after a while!

Best Answer

Your right, its anoying.<br />

Best Answer

Does it matter?<br />
People complain about it so much. Who cares about other people's grammar? Not a big deal. They're not aspiring authors or editors; just average people sharing their lives on a public forum.

Best Answer

I find bad grammar very sad, especially wrongly used reflexive pronouns. I think it does matter, but if people want to use sloppy language it is their loss, it just sounds so bad.

Best Answer

I agree that it would be sad and would be a loss, not only to the speaker, but to society as a whole, if grammar no longer mattered.

Best Answer

whatever makes for entertainment and or splendor. People express however they'd like.

Best Answer

i agree with ur reply, the power and freedom of ex<x>pression and creativity, and as a result, often choose to write in a lower case or to change words like your to ur, for example. i enjoy the whimsy of shortening words from their original spelling (such as through to thru) or to abbreviate words (like between to btw and of course to ofc)...it's fun

Best Answer

Not everyone was taught by nuns who used rulers as a teaching aid

Best Answer

Funny! I was! LOL (Could explain a lot!)

Best Answer

They just don't care.

Best Answer

They're just lazy maybe... -_-

Best Answer

Whiteangel was correct in her answer,this is not an exam.This site is for light fun,too many odd balls like you appear to be take it too far.

Best Answer

People ask all kinds of crazy questions, and you think I am an oddball for asking this one? That's funny.

Best Answer

Maybe they were typing faster than they thought, maybe they don't know any better, or maybe they just missed it when they reread their writing.

Best Answer

i think it comes from texting on phones... i sometimes forget and type your instead of you're in emails to... hehe :)

Best Answer

why do people get lives instead of correcting other peoples grammar.

Best Answer

I think you must mean, why "don't" people get lives, instead of correcting other people's grammar, but thank you for pointing out the obvious, that misused words tend to send the wrong or unintended meaning.

Best Answer

people do worst things....

Best Answer

yeah they are careless they don't care what they type. they don't make only this mistake there are plenty of ANNOYING mistakes

Best Answer

I think it's just ignorance. I know of a good friend who spells "Hate" as "h8" and "you're" as "ur" and it goes on forever. But what I don't get is that he knows how to spell correctly! He's written articles for me and they've been very good. Yet he continues to spell in this annoying way! I do admit that I have used "your" before. But only because I wasn't sure which one it was. But now I know.

Best Answer

Because some of us were not given the privalage to go to college or Uni. I left school when I was 15 to go and find a job so my family could eat. My father was an alcholic and gambler.I think I am not doing pretty badly concidering the circumstances..

Best Answer

I can relate. My mom was pregnant and I was 1 when my dad graduated from college. He worked three jobs, one to provide for his wife and kids, one to pay for his education and one so that he could help feed his 11 brothers and sisters. He was the only one to go to college of his siblings.<br /><br />
<br /><br />
I just graduated...finally. I put myself through college on the G.I. Bill. I had some bad things happen to me in my youth that prevented my family from paying for my education. It's possible that I put a high value on education because I was able to overcome the seemingly insurmountable hardships I refused to see as barriers, and look beyond the sacrifices I had to make to obtain it. I figured if my dad could do it, I could too.

Best Answer

I find that a lot of people don't know how to spell anymore..

Best Answer

You might be correct, but if so, why is that? Would it not be sad?

Best Answer

y'all..

Best Answer

That's a contraction for you all...what's wrong with y'all?

Best Answer