I know it's because 99, 9% haven't read any single verse of the Bible (It's like saying "the Little Prince" was a book about a cat without even reading it) but I just read a question on EP and wanted to make it clear for all the people who have misconceptions about christianity for example, that we hate gays or black people. I'm also christian and I read the whole Bible and I'm not guided by people, only by the Word of God, and God says that we should LOVE EVERYONE, Jesus was friends with prostitutes, thieves, liers, murderers, even the people who betrayed Him in the cross. HOW can He or we christians not LOVE gay people or other races? We're all human, we have all sinned. If there's another misconception or thing you were told about christians you can write it here, I will reply with Bible verse inlcuded.
InspiredButterflyPrincess InspiredButterflyPrincess 26-30, F 22 Answers Jun 4, 2012

It all boils down to the "judging" of other people. I am not saying all Christians or other religious persons do this but a lot is seen by these groups. Somehow, religious, stubborn Christians and other religious types tend to look down on others if the way the other person lives does not fit into his/her beliefs. Usually, it is ba<x>sed from the fact that they can not see how someone could live, do, etc a certain way. And they are basing this judgement from only their life experience and using religious text to validate the reasoning. But, how can one judge someone if they have not experienced another person's life?

Best Answer

VERY true. I know I've been guilty of that. I think most of us christians have felt sometimes "superior" from other people because we have God in our lives. Well that's a sin!! We should be compassionate and humnble. I know I'm not the only one who's suffering and have problems in their life. Everyone has. Good point VioletEyes83.

Best Answer

I'm glad you asked this question, because its true that most people have misconceptions about most religions and I agree with your details that its usually because we follow the word of other people instead of reading the sc<x>riptures themselves. I'm not christian, I'm muslim, but that in no way means I disagree with your opinion. Nor does it mean I have to "hate" you and "kill" people who are different from me. <br />
Some people, not all- some just haven't had the resources to be able to learn their truths, but some people are ignorant- refuse to learn the truth for themselves, and some are extremists- who completely warp their sc<x>riptures into something horrible. This doesn't just apply to the "muslim terrorists," there are extremists in all groups. <br />
Religion has never been the enemy. Certain people are the enemy.<br />
Disclosure: I hope you know I don't mean to insult you in any way. I'm not downing or promoting any religion over another. I'm just discussing people in general. I have no intention of getting into a "terf" battle >.&lt;

Best Answer

=)

Best Answer

Exactly. The first step to world peace needs to be world education and understanding. Everyone can in fact get along, despite their differences, if we would take the time to understand, educate, and accept them. (but this excludes people like murderers, and rapists, and or other psycho/sociopaths wherein this wouldn't help at all.)

Best Answer

Agreed.

Best Answer

Ironically, in a recent study, non-Christians scored better than declared Christians when it came to knowledge of the religion and the Bible. Perhaps you should come out from under your rock. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/28/nation/la-na-religion-survey-20100928 http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2010/0928/In-US-atheists-know-religion-better-than-believers.-Is-that-bad

Best Answer

A test is taken by a little number of people, it doesn't mean that all the atheists know more about the Bible than christians. I apologize cause I also have generalized in my Q. I know that there are atheists / another religions that know about the Bible too. But in my case all the ppl Ive came across have misconpections without knowing.

Best Answer

Is that not a more subjective generalization then? I've come across plenty of moronic Christians, many in name only, who not only cannot name the Gospels, have no idea who Abraham is, are unsure if Jonah was eaten by a shark or a whale, the plights of Job, etc. Especially in this day and age, where sermons are more theocratic than educational on the religion, and there are dwindling numbers attending church as is. And so begot the generation of ignorance. I've read the Bible, as I have read many other works. Too often I find that the people who know very little are the people claiming to believe it. It's because I have read the bible, and many other works such as the Qu'ran and Torah that I don't need it to be functional human being. To each their own. But personal subjection is the ultimate ruler in the world.

Best Answer

You're right. Shame on those christians... "Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come!" Matthew 18:7
We're all human
And it's awesome we have the ability of personal subjection and also the free will to chose

Best Answer

Agreed. Though, only argument I have is the delusion of 'free will'. It's natural that people assume because of their abstract nature, but by our own inherent design, 'free will' is an illusion of genetics. Everything you do is a service in some way or another for the genes that compel you. It sucks but it is what it is.

Best Answer

I love you, too. I'm glad that's all settled.

Best Answer

I agree we are to love all people to best of our ability, but in loing them we don't have to condone, love or accept their sin. I try to read the Bible regularly because God will sometimes reveal something to me that I missed or wasn't ready for the first time.<br />
As far as races go, God made a world of colors, so why shouldn't he love peopler of different colors, sizes and shapes?

Best Answer

My answer would be that it is for the same reason that some Christians have misconceptions about other religions - or even about those of us who have no religous convictions. <br />
For instance, I always describe myself as agnostic - meaning I neither believe in nor reject a Supreme Being (call that being God or whatever you will) yet i have often been told that if I am agnostic I do not so believe ; people do not know the fifference between agnosticism and atheism !

Best Answer

Well, if you already have a belief you are not having misconceptions because you are sure about what you believe, so you instantly know that that's the ultimate Truth. I was asking this question for the ppl who didn't believe in anything.

Best Answer

Re-read my first paragraph ! What I said is that it's not only non-Christians who have misconceptions about other religions - many Christians do too !

Best Answer

Sorry I didn't express myself right I guess. I said that christians do have a belief, so for instance, they know that there's an ultimate Truth (in our belief). So if we have already an ultimate Truth, we instantly believe the others are wrong. Do not confuse "determinism" with "misconception"

Best Answer

Have you read the Quran, book of Enki or Bhagavat gita or just the bible of the christian sect. How well read are you ?

Best Answer

Christians predominantly condemn the actions of gays and tell them that their actions are a sin. I am pleased to hear that you follow the word of God and love everyone, but the message has not made it to the majority of Christians on this topic. The rates of gay Christian teens that kill themselves is outstanding. My hope is rather than address this with the rest of the community, you bring this issue to the Christian community and be outspoken among them. I respect that action. why not challenge a church leader on the issue? <br />
Have you read the Qur’an, the Rigveda, the Sutras and the Hebrew Bible and so on? You might be shocked to find that the message you like , ie God said to love everyone, is found in all of these religious writing.

Best Answer

I won't force someone gay to change. But, if that person wants to follod God, it's like I'm a compulsive lier and I want to follow God, it's the SAME thing. They're both sin that one keeps doing according to the Bible.

Best Answer

This is where the root of the problems comes from. For gay people being gay is just the same as being heterosexual. To deny that would be like denying heterosexuality. They do not agree it is a sin to love someone of the same sex. Their version of God does not judge their very nature as sinful. How insulting is that? The evidence is there that being gay is biological, it occurs at rates of about 1/10 males world wide. It has been happening since history has been recorded. The wonderful thing is Christians do not own God, there is a understanding of God as accepting of all people and all ways of being are natural and equal, not one viewed as sinful.
I am sorry to say that in my view if you agree to view a person’s innate being, one that loves a person of the same gender, as sinful then you are not God like. You along with many other narrow minded Christians have caused the death of many gay teens through descrimination.

Best Answer

Well it's an abomination according to the Bible and men shall not chenge what the Bible says. I love and accept everyone. But that doesn't mean I will support their decision. I love the sinner but do not love the sin. "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." Leviticus 18:22. I'm feel sorry that men are twisting the Bible just that they won't feel guilty about their sins and so that they can do their own will.

Best Answer

There are a lot of people in this world with suicide thoughts not only gay people. I had suicidal thoughts since I was 19 and I'm sure gay people are not the majority. Don't use that as an excuse.

Best Answer

The bible was written by men not God. You need to do some research on the origins of the Bible rather than simply follow and quote it. The men that wrote the bible were living in a time that condemned women and homosexuals. It is not relevant to society today. My young lady, if we followed the bible and the views on women imbedded within the text your voice would be silenced. Why is it that we have happily disregarded the many lines of the bible that condemn women, but not those that condemn gays?

Best Answer

It is not an excuse, it is a fact. Sorry that you had suicidal thoughts but many young men have suicidal thoughts because their faith tells them they are sinful. They see no future, no hope of happiness. The idea of life with a women seems morally wrong to them so they are presented with the idea of being alone forever or being who they are and being disowned by their community and family.

Best Answer

I am waiting for the legal community to challenge the Christian church and charge them with hate crimes against Gay youth. It is very hard to advocate anti-bullying laws when a religious institution continues to demonstrate discrimination and condemnation of a member of society. We will see such a court case in the next few years. There is no place for this sort of behaviour in society any longer.

Best Answer

So is being around men when you're menstruating. Don't pick and choose which rhetoric you want unless you're willing to follow ALL of it.

Best Answer

Listen, to think that someone can change their sexual orientation is sheer nonsense. It is like believing in the easter bunny. You can not become gay or same sex atracted anymore than I can become straight.

Best Answer

Why do Christians care? Why are there even Christians? Who falls for this crap in the modern world? I despair sometimes for humanity.

Best Answer

I don't know that its a misconception... but I am not certain that God, and Jesus are the same... and I recall Jesus being the friend of prostitutes, etc. But I am not disagreeing with you, God is love. God wants that we should love one another, not judge one another, and do unto one another as we would have done unto us - and that doesn't just mean Christians, or any other person that has God in their life, but those people who do not have God in their life even more so. People have, I think, misconceptions about heaven...and what an eternity of "praising" God will be like... but its my opinion that the highest form of praise you can give to God is a life of service. But in answer to your question, why do people have misconceptions - I would have to say it is because of centuries of people twisting religion to suit their own ideals, and not in trying to further the ideals of God but using the threat and the promise of God to achieve what they believe is the best outcome. God and religion have become intwined so that some people confuse the two and think that if they are not religious, they cannot love and serve God. Its very sad.

Best Answer

Well if you know anything about christianity:
1)We believe in the trinity: God-Jesus- The Holy Ghost. They're the same.Genesis 1:1; 1:26; 3:22; 11:7; Isaiah 6:8; 48:16; 61:1; Matthew 3:16-17; 28:19; 2ª Corinthians 13:14.
2)Jesus was a friend with prostitutes etc, He also stood up for the prostitute who was about to be stoned by others he said "The first one who has not commited a sin shall throw the first stone". He was friend's of Maria, she was a prostitute, read Matthew, Luke and Mark.
I like and I totally agree with the last paragraph you wrote, I think humans in Medieval times twisted religion to use it to their own purpose and killed a lot of people. It was terrible.

Best Answer

this is just a vague misconception of yours :D<br />
I follow hinduism and buddhism and yet respect all other religions ... so i think you shouldn't write such things targeting that small misconception minded people ... instead of blaming others lets move ahead with positive thoughts :)

Best Answer

Mostly because the most outspoken "Christians" are the ones who don't even live by the principles of Christ.

Best Answer

Fisrtly where did this idea come from that Christians hate black people. I have never heard of such a strange idea. It might be an American thing. <br />
On the main point of your question it is true that many Christians ( not all ) do hate gay people. I my self was kicked out of home at 18 because I was gay by my parents "good religious people", I was also shunned by everyone in the church. From the age of about 14yo I thought much about suicide because I believed that God also hated me. I realise now that the churches are wrong and that God does indeed love all.

Best Answer

Too Stupid to Understand Science? Try Religion

Best Answer

Strange i have friends who listen to t.d. jakes, joyce myers and others on TV. They have read parts of the bible--however they look to Christians to see how we live our lives. They meet Christians who are judgmental, hyper-critical, hypocrites who change our religion to fit their lives and their ideas.<br />
They ask me why this is. I can not answer i guide them to the bible...I can not answer their question. I<br />
So my answer is Christians need to look inside to find the answer to this question. you cant just hand someone a book to read tell them to believe in this and live theirs another way.

Best Answer

I think we need to be the example and also be wise and read the Bible more often. Some atheists have read the Bible, some haven't and never will. But what matters the most is if you're Christian you've decided to be like Christ Gal 2:20- and our mission is that CHRIST is reflected in our LIVES.

Best Answer

There has to be a God for people to choose to NOT believe in Him.<br />
So, they're just jealous that Christianity is ba<x>sed on legitimacy and atheism relies on the one this it can't handle.<br />
I actually do have atheist friends... we just don't talk religion.

Best Answer

How can one have misconceptions about a delusion? It's a delusion n matter what ceremonies and rites you attach to it. Cuckkoosville.Man made lunacy.

Best Answer

So when god/jesus said love thy fellow man (the generic human race 'man') he was talking about gay men/women as well as straight men/women right?

Best Answer

Every human

Best Answer