chanal1 chanal1 31-35, F 16 Answers Nov 4, 2009

My father and his sisters constantly talk about money. It drives me absolutely crazy. We visited his older sister at her penthouse apartment overlooking Lake Michigan in Chicago a few weeks ago and they were nearly hysterical talking about the national debt. (I only mention their home to show that they are not poor.) My aunt started demanding to know why my generation isnt even talking about the debt crisis and and got into an argument with her. <br />
My dad and his siblings are all in their early 70's and were born to parents that suffered hard during the Depression. I can respect my grandparent's struggles and their life changing experience of being so poor for so long, but for God's sake, this isn't the 1930's. All I can say is that my grandparents must have really put the fear of God into their children regarding money because they are completely obsessed with it. <br />
I think I am good with finances but I honestly know nothing about finances and economics. When my mom died I put her life insurance money away safely. I have a 401(k). I have savings bonds. I am far from a big spender but my older generation is still sure than I don't care enough about money. It is INSANE.

Best Answer

Why does my b/f feel he has to tell me about every penny he spends. He will tell me how much his gas bill is, his electric bill etc., I don't want to hear this on a date. He is really getting on my nerves.<br />
Got a anwser for me.<br />
Tired

Best Answer

Money is a means to an end & nothing more. Sure you can buy stuff with it but it on it's own cannot make you happy & the pleasure derived from purchases is usually short lived. We seek security from it & to a more or lesser degree it supplys just that. We have lost the root of who we are so we are not secure. Therfore we seek more of the thing that supplies it.

Best Answer

No one really knows how much money is enough. More you earn, more are the requirements. So the vicious cycle continues and people get lost here.

Best Answer

Society has programmed it into us that money is what makes the world go round. without it we are socially nothing, therefore some people have become obsessed with making it to ensure their social status in this life. We all feel the need to be accepted and some feel that the only way that they can be accepted is through making money.

Best Answer

because that is where their heart is. (their focus)

Best Answer

money is always on the mind, and it seems no one will ever have enough of it. they might be boasting about having a lot of it, or complaining they don't have enough, it will always be the subject on hand. i think about money all the time, and how the hell am i going to pay my bills each months.

Best Answer

They are trying to impress people.

Best Answer

Because they are not stoned

Best Answer

I would if I had some.

Best Answer