I hate it when people say it too. I don't really think they mean it literally most of the time , it's more of a catch phrase like someone else said.

Best Answer

I ride the bus and hear people saying that all the time when they are on their cell phones. Annoying as hell. I think it comes from never learning real communication skills of listening as well as when to talk. And when it comes to saying that after every statement I think who ever is doing that probably comes from a family where everyone talks but no one really listens. Or no one ever really listened and was so intent on cutting them off all the time they feel like they can keep the other person form getting a chance to say anything, where by not hearing their side of it at all. Nice trick, but it's a lousy way to try and communicate and it's even worse way to be part of a healthy debate. Most of the time who ever I hear repeating that question also goes from saying that right into something else and never shuts up at all. It may sound cool, but sucks for real conversation.

Best Answer

I don't know but my cousin and my mom do the same thing! They always say " you know what I mean"? It drives me crazy!

Best Answer

it's the valley girl syndrome, we all get stuck in some kinda catch frase once in a while, mine right now is (you feel me) i hate when i say it(usually when i'm pissed off, i laugh now when people do it cuz i do it too.

Best Answer

they want u to believe them i guess, u know? lol i do that sometimes but not really one of my everyday phrases. only when someone looks like they dont understand what im saying.

Best Answer

To make sure that the person relates to their situation.

Best Answer

I have no idea why. But my brother in law does that and after awhile I stop listening to what he's saying and start focusing on the words, "Do you know what I'm saying." I thin its a bad habit they can't seem to break. They don't even realize they do it. LOL

Best Answer

They could be looking for affirmation from you because they might feel misunderstood....know what i am saying?

Best Answer

They don't know what else to say. You know what I am saying?

Best Answer

Because they lack eloquence and have to check.

Best Answer