Wow I have to give a serious answer here whateverrrr, having recently lost my father I was faced with two choices submit to the grief and completely immerse myself in alcohol to numb the pain (which I was tempted to do after being sober for 25 + years) or let the grief flow over me and share the pain with anybody who cared. I am glad to say that was a far less painful option than drinking (and cheaper)

Best Answer

I'm sorry about your dad.

Best Answer

Yep, the better decision! (((hugs)))

Best Answer

Alcohol as a depressant is an artificial means of creating a fill in for the trauma of PTSD. It's very common for people with anxiety and PTSD to turn to alcohol as its biological effect makes the disorder "feel" less noticable.

Best Answer

What's easier to face? A bottle or reality?

Best Answer

I am sorry to hear about your PTSD and wish you the best in overcoming it. Many of the treatment options that are being offered, particularly within the military, are proving to be inadequate. Only those suffering the worst are being offered the more effective treatments. Drugs alone will never solve the root cause of the PTSD, only hide it and ease the pain.<br />
You have to be very aggressive and proactive in advocating to your military doctors or the VA, assuming this is service related, for effective treatment. There are programs that seem to be having great success, but only a small number of those in need seem to be getting it. Be vocal and demand what you feel you need. If you are already off active duty, contact your Congressional representative and have them advocate for you. It sometimes can do wonders in getting you the attention you need.<br />
Even outside the military, I have found that too many doctors and therapists will take the path of least resistance. Do some research on effective treatments for PTSD and then demand your doctor or therapist provide you with the most effective treatment for your needs. If you are not informed, they can get away with taking the lazy and cheap approach which only benefits them and the insurance company.<br />
As far as self medicating using drugs or alcohol, I am glad you recognize that is a bad option and only leads to worse problems. If you get to a point where you must self medicate, use pot in the smallest amounts necessary to ease your symptoms and do not drive under the influence because getting busted is another problem you don't need. Stay away from alcohol and all nervous system depressants (downers) as they will mess you up and aggravate your symptoms. Any form of cocaine or methamphetamine is an even worse option, so stay away from those. If you are physically able, heavy exercise has shown some benefits in treating PTSD from what I have read, so you may want to try that.<br />
Best of luck.

Best Answer

Thanks

Best Answer

Self-medication

Best Answer

yes, many do this too.

Best Answer

It's called self medicating. Instead of dealing with the problem in the correct way, drugs and alcohol are used to numb your existence. However, both are addicting and as you say, just causes another problem. You were very smart to stop using the alcohol.

Best Answer

:)

Best Answer

Anyone who abuses any drug is escaping something in their lives , they don't like their reality . Sadly when we suffer a horrific incident you will do almost anything to block that out , to feel good for just a little while . PTSD happens after such events so it makes sense that people will turn to chemicals rather than face the pain . <br />
My coping mechanism was smack , it helped me escape the truth for a few hours a day but like all habits ended up adding to the misery . I just wanted to block out the events of the past .

Best Answer

its an over the counter anestic and often drinking is considered "having a good time" so its not so frowned on

Best Answer

bad combo-i smoke weed it helps

Best Answer