The word Lieutenant does not contain an "F" nor any combination of letters usually considered to make an "F" sound, so why do you say it that way?
krool1969 krool1969 41-45, M 16 Answers Nov 14, 2012 in Hobbies

LUTENANT

Best Answer

I think that it is the result of too much tea and a direct correlation harming self-esteem from the transformation of being a huge empire to a country that is know for only for that lady that sings good - boyle. It is a tragedy.

Best Answer

Dang I need a cuppa. Hold on.Don't say anything till i get back

Best Answer

LMAO

Best Answer

Stop there.

Leftenant was the word for it FIRST, as British Standard English was first. It pre-dates "American English". It comes from Latin/French words.

Best Answer

nice parry

Best Answer

My favorite gentleman; Gen. George Smith Patton Jr. once stated: "We are a common people separated by a common language." Spent a lot of time with the Brits. in Hong Kong and Singapore, liked them a lot. They sure can drink. I think the Gen. was spot on.

Best Answer

I don't know but when I hear it I always get the urge to look to the left

Best Answer

hahaha I find this hilarious! Regards from London :D

Best Answer

it's the correct pronunication...it's origin is a french word...come to my country and you'll hear a heap of words pronounced with an ' f' ' when there isn't an ' f ' in the word.. eg Whakapapa

Best Answer

it's their language, and they made it up. u don't have any business criticizing them just because you decided to be different

Best Answer

And why is "Worcestershire" pronounced "woostershire"?

Best Answer

We English are like that especially place names

Best Answer

Yes, I shoulda said "woostersheer".

Best Answer

Damn! I thought the Shire was in England! I hope it's not too late to cancel my plane ticket. I was a'lookin' forward to one of them there hot little midget gals with hairy toes!

Best Answer

It the accent you perceive the f sound

Best Answer

I say, Guv'nah....do explain.

Best Answer

I thought it was said "leeoo tenahnt" even when those overseas say it o.o

Best Answer