was it named after the shepherds? I'm in a humorous mood :)
LittleLena LittleLena 36-40, F 10 Answers May 5, 2010

The term "shepherd's pie" did not appear until the 1870s,[2] and since then it has been used synonymously with "cottage pie", regardless of whether the principal ingredient was beef or mutton.[2][3][4][5][6][7][8] There is now a popular tendency for "shepherd's pie" to be used when the meat is mutton or lamb,[9] with the suggested origin being that shepherds are concerned with sheep[10] and not cattle,[11][12] This may, however, be an example of folk etymology

Best Answer

a shepards pie has basic ingrediants that are staples of the POOR, potatos and beef, like trying to say too poor to make a real "PIE"

Its also something that has to do with poor people hospitality, this recipe is full of lots of meaning :) Hey Lena!

Best Answer

It contains minced lamb

cottage pie however is the same thing just with minced beef.

and it also has real Sheppard in it. (but not many people know that) ;)

Best Answer

It's not authentic unless it's made with real shepherd's.

Best Answer

no peas...

Best Answer

Why are you called by YOUR name?

Best Answer

Where I grew up it was called "Poor Man's Casero" because it was so cheap to make. But is it the same thing. I absolutely love it.

Best Answer