i was just thinking do we get embarrassed because of the humans we've become or is it actually natural to feel this way wen we make a mistake or fail at something
ldawn ldawn 18-21, F 7 Answers Sep 23, 2008

i think it is something we learn as we get older. when we are children we start out not being embarrassed about who we are/what we look like or what we do. as we get older we are almost conditioned to feel bad about our mistakes and ourselves. just a thought

Best Answer

Oh i am convinced that it is something we acquire as we get older from the many common factors we all share Ex. Parents,friends,religious belief, school. Naturally we are born not knowing what the feeling itself of being embarrassed is and we are most def conditioned to feel bad about our mistakes and ourselves! Its something i think you have to change for yourself. I have taught myself to try not to give a flying duck when i make my mistakes and specially not to go as far as to let myself feel bad about them, i am not affraid of learning from a mistake. I mean there will still be people who will try to make you feel embarrassed but remember that its people , society where the problem came from and well its....not you. Never was.

Best Answer

Thought provoking question! I'm inclined these days to think that there is a natural component, although it's probably nothing so strong as what is traditionally labelled embarrassment. I say that because of some fairly subjective observations, but it certainly does feel like every now and then one catches non-human animals having a whoopsy and then looking about to see to if anyone saw them. Socialisation/social conditioning would seem to leverage on this, and greatly amplify it to create embarrassment responses to things we might not otherwise experience them from.

Best Answer

Its a result of our societal conditioning. Growing up, we're told and shown what 'appropriate' behavior and responses to certain situations are. And, these learned reactions are where embarrassment comes from.

Best Answer

Embarrassment is emotional (a mental and psychological state associated with a myriad of behaviours, thoughts, and feelings). It is usually caused by unwanted attention to one's private matters or flaws, socially akward situations, rejection, being caught in a lie, etc.

Best Answer

dancingkitin has it right.....we are conditioned from an early age. I believe it is mostly a state of mind. We are TAUGHT shame and fear as we are programmed by family, friends, society, religion, school, or whatever. We can overcome it if we really want to and try....but many people are so ingrained with whats "normal" and socially acceptable that they are convinced that they couldnt change no matter what.

Best Answer