They say that women still have a long way to go but they have actually accomplished more than "minorities." They could vote before blacks could, have had more seats in the government than minorities, have more favor shown to them in the justice system, etc. And statistically speaking, society has favored affirmative action for women more than for minorities - Michigan just voted against it for minorities concerning college and job opportunities.
AllStarcrushNate AllStarcrushNate 26-30, M 17 Answers Nov 16, 2012 in Education

Your entitled to your opinion though we agree somewhat on this topic, we are coming from 2 different ends of it, so we probably can't agree 100% on everything...perception plays a large part. <br />
To answer your question... I don't get that impression, example...in 2008 Hilary Clinton & Obama aiming for the Democratic nomination for president...who got it? The Male did, Obama not Hilary.<br />
But the real problem is....Women and Non Whites rights all matter equally! Some folks think sexism is worse, some think racism is worse.<br />
Nate your a black male, so I can see you feeling racism as worse for sure..I'm a female...I have a different feeling, though they are both under-represented....The real deal is not to take rights away from white males....but perhaps give people like us who are not that...a seat on the throne for a change...maybe some women faces printed on our money, bills and coins...there are 99.9 % male on american currency. Perhaps a national holiday to Honor a woman...the black male only has one, though it's only one, Martin Luther King..there should be more of those too.<br />
The female of any race has yet to have honoring a woman for a national Holiday there are more non whites and women who have done amazing things just like Lincoln, but they are under-represented in history....So many go under or unrecognized .<br />
So the ideal next person to honor would be a non-white-female.<br />
Also noting...there have been white women oppressing black men in the past...contributing to racism...I agree with you on that one and that is one reason that makes this so confusing.

Best Answer

I hear ya, but although Obama, a black male has absolute power here (mwah ha ha ha! Lol!), it's like I tell my mom who also agrees: white women have held seats in the government much more than blacks have throughout our history, so it evens out. Karma I guess. White women got all that, so now a black man inherits the big nest. Actually there is a holiday for women, I think it's called International Women's Day or something like that, and we also observe Women's History month. I think a woman on currency might be a nice idea, just not a white woman. I would pick somebody like Sacajewea (don't know if I spelled that right) or Philyss Wheately or Harriet Tubman.

Best Answer

Sacajewea! yes! I wanted to put her name as a National Holiday but never can remember how to spell it...lol
What I meant by a National Holiday was day off from work, no mail, banks and gov offices closed....International women's day is pretty much unknown, like I never heard of it...nothing is closed that day..and most of us don't even know what day of the year it's on...but it sounds nice.

Best Answer

You are technically incorrect about voting. Non-white men got the right to vote via the 15th Amend. in 1870. Women (of any race) did not get the right to vote until 1920 and the 1th Amend. It is sadly true that it took the Voting Rights Act of 1965 to address poll taxes and other Jim crow tactics regarding minority voting - the 15th Amend was the basis and groundwork - and it was effective in many part of the nation. As a white woman involved in anti-racist practice I can say that in large part discrimination and attitudes depend on what part of the country you are in. Yes, there is still racial discrimination. But there is an attack on women coming from the right-wing Christians that has been going on for years - attacks on birth control, abortion, health care (as it is being tied up with family planning in some states so Federal funding for poor women to even have pap smears is under siege), wage discrimination, etc.

Best Answer

Black men technically got the right to vote in 1870, but were still deterred from voting. White women got the right to vote around that time in various states but eventually got the full freedom to before blacks did.

Best Answer

There were also poll taxes in some areas that prevented poor white men from voting as well. Heck, we still have voting issues... But we're making progress - it's just really slow.

Best Answer

I do know about that with white men. Still though they had the favor of their own race for everything else.

Best Answer

Correct also Nate

Best Answer

imsbear, Correct

Best Answer

Yes - I'm not suggesting it was equal because it wasn't. White privilege is real.

Best Answer

Well I don't know if I agree with your assertion, but rights like any other thing that is political has nothing to do with who is right or more deserving but more to do with funding and organization. Woman represent a large voting block so it makes sense that their message would be heard louder then other groups.

Best Answer

Yet the thing is, minorities are a large voting block as well. And if anybody should be considered more it should be them as they still face more persecution.

Best Answer

Good point.

Best Answer

But they don't form a single voting bloc. People campaign for the rights of Jews, and black people, and Hispanics... rarely for those of racial minorities in general. Which, come to think of it, isn't very eqalitarian.

Best Answer

umm woman are 50% of the voting block.. blacks are like 13%

Best Answer

And that's where we can get to the myth, oncemoor. The census actually excludes a lot of blacks and hispanics from the population to make us look less - it was even reported! It's the politicians' way of making minorities look small enough that we don't have to matter to anybody. Blacks make up way more than 13%.

Best Answer

ok...Lets get out and protest more, Nate.

Best Answer

Good idea, but in this day and age, somehow I think there's something more we can do to get people to take us seriously.

Best Answer

They don't matter more than race rights or equality. They just get more main stream attention. But to be honest, even to this day alot of women are seen as inferior, where as racism is an issue that is being dealt with. You are more likely to get into trouble for racism than you are for sexism. I'm not a feminist by any means, but I understand why some women are,.

Best Answer

Not so. Politicians can make racist statements forever and not step down, but insult a woman or "her right to choose" very harshly, and there comes pressure to resign.

Best Answer

True Nate, but I am guessing it's cuz there are more women than non white men....not sure if that is the reason, just guessing..anyway I guess it's progress and not perfection so far....perfection should be the goal.

Best Answer

No, Spice, the numbers and figures that show women as being more in number are actually false. It was just discovered just last census that among whites, women were OVERCOUNTED TWICE more, while minorities were UNDERCOUNTED. So the figures have women actually looking bigger and better than they really do.

Best Answer

Equality is a funny word...<br />
Don't think it'll ever be reality..<br />
I'm all for equality, but it seems so impossible to achieve..<br />
A daunting task to take on..

Best Answer

They don't. If women face less discrimination (I'm not sure that they do) it's precisely because they *aren't* a minority.

Best Answer

Women face less discrimination because it's about gender. Men are supposed to feel guilty for everything they've done to women, so they have to give women everything. Yet the thing is, where women have not wanted to be oppressed and mistreated throughout history, they have often had no problem contributing to it or promoting it based on race, culture, and religion. White women during the slave era wanted to be treated like human beings, but didn't care that blacks couldn't be.

Best Answer

Are you complaining about historical attitudes, or modern ones? Because no-one can do anything about the former. And "Women face less discrimination because it's about gender" is just a restatement of the problem, not an explanation. Of course sexism is "about gender", but you haven't explained why gender discrimination is seen differently to racial discrimination.

Best Answer

Gender discrimination is seen differently than race because people see women as the weaker sex that they feel needs more help, whereas people view other races as specks that are inferior to women.

Best Answer

People campaigning for gender equality aren't doing it because "women as the weaker sex that they feel needs more help", that would be utterly hypocritical. And people who "view other races as specks" are exactly the people that racial equality campaigns are trying to win over. I get that you think feminism gets undue attention and that racial equality is relatively overlooked, I just disagree that it's because anyone views women as intrinsically more important than people of racial minorities.

Best Answer

I do though because people have this narrow mindset that women are the "birth givers" are the weaker sex, the wives, the daughters, and so on. So they feel they should be compensated more. It's easier for politicians and organizations to cater to women than to do it for a mass population of people of color, especially when women have contributed to their oppression.

Best Answer

But even if true, it's not like gender equality and racial equality are mutually exclusive, is it? People campaigning for women's rights aren't taking anything away from racial minorities.

Best Answer

It's not about taking anything away from minorities, it's about having an equal mindset. If one group wants rights, then we should give it to the other group as well. If women wanted to be treated like human beings, they have to treat and view others as wanting the same thing as well.

Best Answer

They don't.

Best Answer

What is this the ******* stoneage, woman have equal rights and then some.<br />
So do "Minorities", a guy can walk of a boat in my country, get handed a new house and benefits for nothing, equal rights? my arse, if a British guy tries that he will be told to **** off, wait on a never ending list, and then told nah your not getting it because you've not got this, you've not done his, but a nobody can come in my country and get it no questions, ahah, what a laugh

Best Answer

That happens in my country too, but minorities are treated worse than women are.

Best Answer

I don't think that they do matter more. Maybe because of historical reasons and because of statistics? Equality in society? That is certainly part of women's rights, isn't it?

Best Answer

But here's the thing, where women have not wanted to be oppressed and mistreated throughout history, they have often had no problem contributing to it or promoting it based on race, culture, and religion. White women during the slave era wanted to be treated like human beings, but didn't care that blacks couldn't be.

Best Answer

During the slave era, if I'm not mistaken, women could not even vote. Or were starting to. It's like in war zones - seriously, do you think every man wants to fight? Does he have a real choice most of the time?

Best Answer

You're trying to avoid the matter. I'm talking about women, who cried out about being mistreated, but supported the mistreatment of others.

Best Answer

I know Nate...that sucks! it happened!...the only one to come out un-scared was the white male.

Best Answer