My mom's home was struck by lightening recently and a lot of things were totally fried. :( Her wifi router doesn't work so she was going to use her desk top, but it wouldn't work, so she unplugged the Ethernet cable from the desk top and plugged it into her laptop and then she had internet that way, but she prefers her desk top so I'm trying to figure out how to fix this. When I tried plugging the cable back into the desk top the little green light came on where I plugged it in and everything on the computer works fine, but it can't connect with the cable?
LectersLover LectersLover 22-25, F 7 Answers Aug 9, 2013 in Science & Technology

We had the same thing happen to one of our desktops. The lightning surge fried the network card, and it would not detect the ethernet cable anymore. We had to have a tech replace the card, and then it worked fine.

Best Answer

How much did that cost because this is an older computer, I may just buy her a new one. :P

Best Answer

If I remember correctly, it was just a little under $100.00. You could call around and ask what varios techs would charge to replace the network card in the type and model of computer that you have. Sometimes, a little comparison-shopping for repairs can really work to your advantage by protecting you from being ripped off by a tech who takes advantage of people not knowing much about computers.

Best Answer

Thank you. :) I added you because your so nice and smart. :P

Best Answer

{{{ Turns off monitor so no one can see me blushing... }}} :-P

Best Answer

It's possible that the NIC fried in the desktop. Without actually being there to test it myself, I can't comment for sure, and not without more background information on the desktop (i.e. the OS, OS version, and any hardware quirks it had before.)

I've seen it before where the only thing that fried in the system was the NIC because that's where the power jolt entered. Fried the DSL router, the wifi router, and the desktop NIC. Everything else was unscathed.

Best Answer

find out where's the other end of the "ethernet" cable.

one end is in the desktop, and the other end?

your router fried, didn't it?

Best Answer

The cable goes directly outside to a big box the power company set up and we can't get inside it. The cable works, so I'm only worried about why it's no longer working with the same computer it has been plugged into for a long time.

Best Answer

look at the plug that goes in the computer. how many wires do you see? two, four, eight?
http://www.housing.illinois.edu/Current/~/~/media/D1605DE745F94BA6829E56F3B1EE473B.ashx?w=450&h=376&as=1

Best Answer

remove the old network connection and reinstall the modem driver.

that SHOULD create a new default network connection.

if when u plugs the cable into the lappy u didn't have to install the driver for it, then the cable must have bee plugged into the lappy in the past.

one way round this, given u have net access through the wifi/lappie combo, and through the wifi/pc combo is simply to get hold of another wifi adapter.

lightning is the most horrible thing that can happen to a pc, u are both lucky the pc still works if it was wired to the modem when the strike hit the phonelines. u may be lucky, it may just be emp to the modem.

hang on I am lost, what is the lappy connecting to??v if the wifi got fried, who's wifi are u now connecting on? u may be bale to save some money here, lol.

Best Answer

there is no modem, its an ethernet plug

Best Answer

Did you read my question details thoroughly? The laptop was using wifi, until the wifi router was fried, so then she started using the Ethernet cable directly plugged into the laptop, but that wasn't the important part of the question because I know I can buy her another wifi router for the laptop.
The question is, if the Ethernet cable is working directly hooked into the laptop, then why not the desk top? That Ethernet cable was always plugged in the computer before the lightening strike and it worked just fine, and the computer works still and the cable works still, but not together.
*scratches head*

Best Answer

it is not ethernet. must be dialup. its going to be horribly slow. where does the wifi router plug into?

Best Answer

Check the settings.

It may have auto set to seeking a WiFi signal.

Best Answer

its a desktop. its not going to have a wifi card

Best Answer

My desktop here at my home uses wifi.

Best Answer

My desktop too.
Only older desktops do not have wifi.

Best Answer

odd, my dt has wifi on the mobo. call it a router if u like, but if it connects to a landline, its a fqin modem.
however, this box outside his house has lost me completely, so I will back off n let u yanks sort it out.
as for the cable, it kinda sounds like he buggered the socket when he pulled it out, but that's kinda rare to say the least. it is possible, but unlikely.

Best Answer