I mean, the emotional and mental pain are enough. What possible purpose and cause could physical pain have???
Vessa Vessa 41-45, F 23 Answers Jan 30, 2010

The emotional stress affects your body by causing tension in the muscles... or something I guess I don't know I just made that up.

Best Answer

your emotions are all in your brain. but the nerves in the brain do not receive signals. they only carry them. but the nerves in your chest and belly area are more sensitive than the nerves in your hands. this is why strong emotions manifest as sensations in your chest. this is also why people get gut feelings.

Best Answer

Very interesting. :)

Best Answer

From an article in Scientific American: "According to a 2009 study from the University of Arizona and the University of Maryland, activity in a brain region that regulates emotional reactions called the anterior cingulate cortex helps to explain how an emotional insult can trigger a biological cascade. During a particularly stressful experience, the anterior cingulate cortex may respond by increasing the activity of the vagus nerve—the nerve that starts in the brain stem and connects to the neck, chest and abdomen. When the vagus nerve is overstimulated, it can cause pain and nausea.<br />
Heartache is not the only way emotional and physical pain intersect in our brain. Reent studies show that even experiencing emotional pain on behalf of another person—that is, empathy—can influence our pain perception. And this empathy effect is not restricted to humans. In 2006 a paper published in Science revealed that when a mouse observes its cage mate in agony, its sensitivity to physical pain increases. And when it comes into close contact with a friendly, unharmed mouse, its sensitivity to pain diminishes."

Best Answer

That is really interesting...thanks for sharing that. I find the last bit helpful in understanding many things about the human condition.

Best Answer

There is speculation that emotional pain is somehow carried or interoreted by our 'vagus' nerve, which runs down through our chest to the stomach.<br />
Works for me, how bout you?

Best Answer

When my heart was broken byt he love of my life, I physically felt pain. It felt like my heart was literally breaking into pieces. The only thing that worked to alleviate it was acupuncture. The way the acupuncturist described it: your nerves get shaken so badly that you are more sensitive and feel more pain. BTW, acupuncture was great and the pain went away.

Best Answer

I think the reason is that your emotions effect the physical aspects of your body causing you physical pain, I also think certain emotions are linked to certain body parts.<br />
chest-sadness, pain<br />
face- embarrassment, shame(also felt in the gut)<br />
gut- slyness, sneaky, pain, shame, butterflys, happiness, a bad feeling, suspicion, instinct<br />
whole body- hatred<br />
head(forehead/brain)- pain, intense emotional stress, stress

Best Answer

Aucpuncture, what a great cure for a broken heart. What a wonderful idea to feel that we can walk into a doctors office and feel we are being treated for emotional pain we have been though, and just be cured. I may try it just to see if i can trick my brain

Best Answer

Because we are humans and god made humans have feelings.

Best Answer

There is a nerve junction in the left ventricle of your heart that's just a tangle of nerves. Here resides the creator. Events of great sadness and joy effect this with either a severe lightness (joy) or heaviness (sadness) because that particular event brought joy or sadness to the creator of the universe.

Best Answer

Acupuncture it is, then.

Best Answer

Muscle pain, indigestion and sometimes nerve pain can either be idividualistic or combined all at once in the equivalant of a panic attack. You have a sudden increase in adrenaline and often over breath or breath quickly yet shallow which in themselves both cause physical issues as your body trys to reverse their effects be releasing a chemical cocktail that tells your heart, lungs, muscles to prepare to fight. At the same time your chemical/neurological system ramp up to be able to react faster to anything the brain tells them to do.<br />
Breathing, heart rate, muscle tension, gastric accids, nerve pain all can play a part.<br />
This is often called the "Fight of Flight Responce"

Best Answer

You might Fight OR Flight. You also mean Response.

Best Answer

maybe that's why touch is so healing-- in more that a physical way. our bodies and our spirit/emotions are so intertwined.

Best Answer

yeah, i've wondered that before too. it literally feels like a vast, empty hole in your chest. a hole that can never be filled up...that makes me sad,,,

Best Answer

I think is a physical reaction to your blood vessels constricting. I am not sure why this would be so, but I notice I get the same thing when I am stressed or have anxiety. It is harder to breath, my chest feels heavy.

Best Answer

The same reason great love makes your chest hurt and stomach drop......

Best Answer

yes, why does emotional pain cause physical pain in your heart? has anyone figured it out yet? It can't be good for you. I sometimes wonder if I will die of a heart attack when i get old.

Best Answer

Honestly I dont know, but when my boyfriend jokes around about breaking up and taking breaks, my heart starts to have this bad pain and I get a panic attack, also not being able to breathe

Best Answer

We came to this earth to feel emotions.

Best Answer

Your brain uses the same part to recognise emotional and physical pain. When you are depressed, that part of the brain is overworked dealing with the emotional pain, this leads to the heart diverting more blood and oxygen to that part of the brain, meaning your body needs more air, which is why you feel short of breath, also, when you have high levels of mental and emotional stress, some muscles, focused mainly in the torsal area, contract, which is why you feel physical pain in your chest.

Best Answer