It seems that people make few friends, and dont want to get to know anyone. They say things like, I dont want to know you because I dont know you (in which is stupid). It feels that people arent friendly anymore and people are moving more individualistic. I walk into places and I immediately feel like I cant make any friends because I can never get out of their "stranger box". Our culture has gotten so unfriendly. It seems that everyone is in their own little world and no one cares about you, how well you did, how you got your nobel peace prize, getting to know you or being friends. Like they say, true friendship is rare. And it seems to me that people are just too cliquish, if they do. Why are people cliquish? Why cant people be able to hang out with everyone if they wish? Im that type of a person. Many of my friends, im their friend, just not part of their "circle" so I dont even have some of the benefits. Like having very basic cable, 20 channels out of 450 channels, but still have cable.
geonavigator07 geonavigator07 22-25, M 15 Answers Mar 15, 2011

Good discussion, guys. I don't even know where to begin!

I think there are a lot of factors to consider. Everyone has their motivation. I must admit, being a single guy, sometimes I just talk to females with the idea to date them. And many times that has ended up leading me to good friendships with individual women (instead of romantic relationships).

I agree that friendship is dying -as many of you said- because of Internet interaction, but you've got to roll with the punches and keep on fighting for real-life friendships (assuming that's what you want). I could sit here and list 20 different reasons for why there are less friendships, but that won't do anything unless you TAKE SOME INITIATIVE to change (& that includes me)!

Best Answer

i think people still want to make friends by heart like me. they just dont know how to express their feelings to others in the real world, you know, people always chat on the net in some other way. However, in the real world, they walk fast, be cool to others. Maybe we should find a way that work to make friends.

Best Answer

I agree. This has been my experience back in college. I was very open and friendly and because we live in a world where being open and friendly is foreign, people reacted very strangely to that. Facebook and other social networking sights as well as texting has taken the place of face to face contact. Because of that the other person being communicated with cannot read your body language or facial expressions so often times there is misunderstanding which ruin blooming, real friendships. Technology has also created superficial interactions... People add anyone to their Facebook as "Friends" and suddenly they have a 1,000 "Friends." I am really sure a person can't have deep relationships with more than a handful of people.

It is okay though. It depends on your path but I have decided that I do not need "Friends." I open to the possibility but they are no longer needed. Sometimes we look towards other people for our happiness, for our contentment, for our self-esteem, for our well-being and so all of these aspects can be ripped away or lessened when a person leaves for whatever reason and stops communicating. It is an attachment and it is a superficial and an impermanent way of sustaining happiness, contentment, self-esteem, and well-being.

Best Answer

Good question,we should all make a positive effort to be more friendly,especially with our neighbours and look out for the elderley.

Best Answer

Good question and it seems we think along the same lines. I am like you when it comes to making friends and I don't have many. I'm not even that close to my family. I think people are afraid and stupid and insensitive. But when I befriend someone, I am sincere and go all out, and give my heart and soul, which in the end kinda leaves me disappointed. Dumb, huh?

Best Answer

The internet and especially social networks like Facebook are killing the relationships of the world. They enable the short attention span that people of today all seem to have. You can meet someone, date them and break up with them in a matter of hours without having to go through all the messy stuff like actually meeting, a bunch of dates to see if you are compatible and then breaking up and starting over. You can see the person how you want to see them or how they want you to see them, be in this "perfect" relationship and you never have to meet. Another way the internet is messing the world up for us is that we are blasted with a million images a week of all the bad stuff that goes on in the world. It is making us all paranoid of everyone around us because it has brought all the craziness and psychopaths of the world right into our homes. We are all getting paranoid of the girl/boy next door when in the past it was a fantasy to meet that person. The dating sites aren't making anything easy on us either. I send women messages but on a dating site they are getting so many messages from so many guys that there is no way for me to say anything in a little email for them to get to know me. Also it makes it difficult, i mean what do you say to a woman that's heard every line to get her to believe that I am an original. I can tell them a thousand times that I am not like any other man but there is no way to get them to believe it when every other man says the same thing!

I could tell them the truth and they probably would believe it because they have all been hurt by some jerk who told them they were telling them the truth. I could tell them I'm not like other guys because I don't like sports. I love to cook, I get along great with kids and I love buying flowers, whether for strangers or the woman I'm with...

Best Answer

I personally feel your age ,personality, the way you are raised and other factors have an effect on that(how friendly someone is)sometimes. I would love to be friendly to people in my neighborhood but I feel it's sometimes impossible because I live in a pretty negative neighborhood. I can be friendly to my neighbors that "live" in my apartment complex , but neighborhood unfortunately no :-/, it's rare. I'll probably get looked at funny or someone(men) will take it the wrong way and will try to flirt with me sadly. Only friendly gestures I get is lust and that isn't friendly @ all. Oh yeah and envy :-/. Hey you gotta look at the positives. I'm sure there are people out there just like you wondering the same thing and you just haven't found them yet :-). I personally feel like I can't trust people that much so I rather not make friends and when I get a certain gut feeling(negative) about certain people it always turns out right .

Best Answer

It does seem like that. I wish I could change it! It's hard to meet people. Be thankful you haven't met people, who you wish you didn't meet for the sake of boredom or friendship. True friends are hard to find these days. I feel your pain!

Best Answer

Humans disgust me! Just kidding, kinda. I think it may depend on where you live. I live in a small town and people are very friendly almost too much when you can't get away from them without feeling rude. Also, sometimes you have to make the first move sometimes. Just say something out of the blue to a complete stranger and before you know it you have made a human connection.

Best Answer

i agree i choose not to because ive been hurt way to much to make new friends. i am saving myself from the hurt.

Best Answer

Too much focus on things, particularly technology, instead of people. Take note the next time power goes out in your neighborhood of how many people show up outside their house. Does there seem to be a direct relationship between the two? Is this to say that we have allowed tech to come between us?

Best Answer

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we as a society are heavily dependent on technology for social interaction. for example... why are we all here ? instead of being out at a club together? everyone wants to stay within the safety of their 4 walls. now more often than not relationships start online ... and in many cases long distance relationships continue for many years with little to no physical interaction (between friends and lovers)... we are relying heavily on technology to keep us social.. and therefore are losing our natural social skills. Do you really think you would talk to me in a club or on the street? - I'm 28 female, extremely long black hair, I wear high heels all the time cept at the gym... I drink Molson Canadian right out of the brown bottle in bars and eat greasy chicken wings with the hottest sauces available.... my bf is 19 years older than me and a former pro football (oval ball us football) player... he also has long hair pulled back in a ponytail....

most people do not talk to me...

Best Answer