inthebelljar inthebelljar 26-30, F 15 Answers Apr 7, 2011

My cat puts his toys in his bowl. They are something of an enigma, cats, and that's the way they like it.

Best Answer

cats definitely have a mind of their own.. which is part of the reason i love them..

Best Answer

Some instinct kicks in I guess. A few of my cats did that too. One would not drink out of a bowl. Either he would stick his paw in the water and bring his paw to his mouth or I'd leave a stream of water from the faucet for him to drink. Aren't they the best?

Best Answer

yea, mine prefers water straight from the faucet but will drink from the bowl if no faucet's on..

Best Answer

hah may be the same reason my dog grabs a mouthfull of crunchies from her bowl and runs with them over to the back door, drops them and then eats them one by one from there... repeatedly.

Best Answer

To have the feeling it's a prey they captured.

Best Answer

To make sure that it is dead before he eats it.

Best Answer

My Philby does the same thing, also does the deep meow over his water dish before he drinks. He has done this for about 9 years, but then again, he thinks he is human and will meow in a different tone when you ask him questions, weird!

Best Answer

I think it's because they watch us eat off of plates using our hands (plus utensils). We pick up our food and bring it to our mouths, rather than burying our faces into our plates. I cannot recall observing wild or feral cats behaving in this way. I am open to feedback on this theory.

Best Answer

Maybe, so he can see it better while he eats. My cat will push or knock his bowl about all over the kitchen and if it's not what he wants, he'll cover up the dish with a rug or something to let me know he's rejected it. Animals are funny like that. My daughter's miniature dachshund will grab a mouth full of food from the dish and then run somewhere else and spit it back out and eat it off the floor. Go figure.

Best Answer

How should we know? go ask the cat.

Best Answer

i asked the cat first, of course. his response was inconclusive so i decided to see what the ep community thinks.. :)

Best Answer

Cats are weird like that, my cat likes to pick food up with his paw and eat it like that. I think it comes from them wanting to attack and kill their food cause he sometimes bats it around for a while before putting it in his mouth.

Best Answer

Mine do the same. My maine coon actually "digs" in his bowl knocking it ALL out...the he complains cause he has nothing left to dig in.

Best Answer

hehe sounds like he makes quite a mess.. i don't mind him digging in the food bowl much. it is the mess he makes digging in his litter box that bothers me a little. cat litter flying in all directions..

Best Answer

It is the cat version of eating at a picnic? I don't know. <br />
My dog takes a dog biscuit over to the carpet in the den to eat it. She won't have the biscuit on the tile floor in the kitchen. Animals are peculiar.

Best Answer

your cat doesn't have an 8 second rule!

Best Answer

i wouldn't be too sure about that. he gobbled it up pretty quickly after it was on the floor..

Best Answer