Atleast you have dad that gives crap about you!

Best Answer

Your father's protectiveness is a sign of his love for you. He knows, possibly from experience, how easy it is to go astray or to be hurt, physically or emotionally, by others.<br />
It is a very difficult line that parents walk between giving too much freedom, which allows their children to get hurt or in trouble; or too little freedom, which stymies the growth and independence of the child.<br />
Usually the key to overcoming this problem is two-fold. First, you must earn you parent's trust by demonstrating to them that you have the morals, ethics, and mature judgment necessary to keep you safe. Second, you must communicate with your parents what it is they are doing that is overprotective, why it is too protective, and how you propose to overcome their concerns -- then, under no circumstances should you betray their trust and confidence in you when they give it. <br />
If you come to this problem acting as an adult, with an adult attitude, chances are you may be able to get some relief from what you see as your father's overprotection.<br />
---------------<br />
UPDATE -- The unfortunate truth is that for 99 percent of the human population, parents receive no training in how to be parents. We relay on what we observed as children. We adopt those aspects of our parents that we admire and with which we agree and we reject those with which we disagree -- up to a point. Many of our behaviors as adults and as parents we do not even realize we have learned and adopted.<br />
Several years ago I lost my father to cancer. We were very close and I loved him very much. I certainly knew I shared many physical, emotional, and intellectual traits of my father. About a week or so after his death, I was readying myself for the day. As I stood in front of the mirror I suddenly saw my father looking back at me from the mirror, then realized it was not him, it was me. My appearance, my mannerisms, the texture of the skin on my hands -- I was So Much my father's son, in ways I had never before seen.<br />
This is why your father is the kind of parent he is today. One day you will look back and realize that you are your father's daughter, like him in ways you do not recognize today, and you will miss him sorely. Recognize that he does what he does out of love for you, and grow upp to be the best person you can be, following the model he has set for you while becoming the independent and grown woman you want to become.

Best Answer

What if I have tried talking, and was then told : that I will only be a woman when I'm 30...

Best Answer

You are obviously faced with a dilemma. Are you still living in your father's home? As long as you live in his home, you must abide by his rules. When you have become self-supporting, you can accept or reject your father's rules and demands.
Is your father paying your tuition but you do not live in his home? If this is the case, you certainly need to respect your father's rules to some extent. The truth is, however, that the more dependent upon your father you are, the more you must accept his rules. The more independent from his support you become, the more independent you can be in all other aspects of your life. Part of growing up is learning how to be loving and respectful to your parents while exercising your own independence. If you live in your own apartment, make your own car payments, feed yourself, and pay your own tuition, the only control your father can exert is that level of control you allow him. Under these conditions, you can choose to entirely reject his rules, his control because the only thing he can take away from you is his love. If he loves you, and I suspect that he does very much, he can no longer stop loving you than he can stop breathing. To him, no matter how old you may become, you always will be his "little girl."

Best Answer

Be thankful for what you've got , I work with some kids who have had the worst treatment at the hands of their dad / step dads .

Best Answer

Cause hes a man and he knows what other men are all about!

Best Answer

Like others have said, be thankful he cares enough to be overprotective. <br />
He's probably overprotective the same reason many of us are. We know what's out there. I know you know there's evil and danger out there. But you don't know what you don't know. And the reality of it is, you only know "of" evil and danger. You don't know "the" evil and danger. I know that because you asked this question. There are elements in this world so easy to fall victim to-just by bumping into them. You don't even have to join the bad crowd to be forever hurt by them. <br />
The reality is, your dad knows he can't protect you from everything, forever. But he's going to continue to try until he has no choice but to let you go.

Best Answer

He's your dad. That's his job.

Best Answer

men

Best Answer

Because he loves you SO much that he doesn't want anything bad to happen to you.

Best Answer

many reasons....<br />
he is not sure of himself...scared and cluless.....<br />
he has no confidence and trust in you.........and in his unpbringing.....<br />
doesnt want you to make ur own mistakes....and just guide you and be there for you......<br />
doesnt know that to love is not to over protect but to understand and support........

Best Answer

Dads are hard to understand!

Best Answer

My dad is overprotective still and I'm 25.

Best Answer