It's a really cool law! Pretty basic, too.
siamul siamul 22-25, M 4 Answers Nov 22, 2012 in Hobbies

The Square Cube Law is a fundamental scientific idea first explained by Galileo. For different size objects, there is a difference in the ratio between the area (the multiplier squared) and the volume (the multiplier cubed). Because this ratio has an effect on the properties of objects changing this ratio changes the properties of the objects. In other words, size matters.

The Square Cube Law is currently not being taught by most high school and elementary science teachers and this has a negative impact on our society. Because most people, including scientists and engineers, are unaware that size matters costly mistakes are continuously being made that could easily be avoided. For example, by doubling the ingredients of a cake recipe the larger cake will come out undercooked, or if an engineering structure is made ten times larger than before there is strong possibility that it will collapse. This begs the question of why the Square Cube Law is not being taught.

The biggest problem with teaching Galileo’s Square Cube Law is that the paleontologists have failed to figure out how the dinosaurs and pterosaurs grew so large. Unfortunately it is the science teachers that feel the embarrassment over the scientific incongruity between Galileo’s Square Cube Law showing that size matters and the exceptionally large terrestrial Mesozoic era animals that seem to be contradicting the law. For the science teachers it is not fun to be caught like a deer in the headlights when a smart student points out the incongruity of the teacher’s statements.

Instead of admitting that they do not know the answer, the paleontologists mislead the public with unsound explanations of how the dinosaurs and pterosaurs grew so large. Until a solution is found and accepted for the paradox of the large dinosaurs, science teachers will find the scientific incongruity too embarrassing to teach the Square Cube Law and the importance of size. See DinosaurTheory.com for additional information on this subject.

Best Answer

what is that?

Best Answer

Tell me one situation in my adult life where I would have to use it.

Best Answer

If you do anything sciencey, it explains a lot. And even if you don't, it explains why ants can lift so much and survive falling at terminal velocity, why no Godzilla-sized land monster exist, and why small people are more agile than bigger people of the same bodily proportions.

Best Answer

Why doesn't high school teach currency issues. Like how too save and buy a house and understand interest rates and foreclosures seems interesting too

Best Answer

We had a guest lecture on that from a couple of underemployed craftsmen one day. They didn't go into enough depth, though.

Best Answer

I watched 30 families on my street alone lose their homes because they did not think out basic things like interest rates, basic upkeep and emergency issues.

Best Answer

My teachers said I would never go past grade 9. I showed them. I got my grade 10

Best Answer