I mean, I'm sure I must sometimes...but I don't ever remember anything. I know someone who has such vivid and beautiful dreams, almost every night. They can recall them so easily. I haven't remembered a dream in many, many years. (With one exception). Any ideas or suggestions??
CoracaoQuebrado CoracaoQuebrado 26-30, F 19 Answers Jan 27, 2010

Actually, you DO dream. Thousands of them I bet. In fact, that's why you don't remember them. You have one of those minds that forget ''unimportant things'' that make you confused or hurt (like those insane women that forget how painful childbirth is and have 8 kids, over and over) Because of a chemical released during dreams, you would be dead if you didn't actually HAVE them. Unless you're Dracula or kin, I think I can be safe in saying you just don't remember.<br />
Want to have dreams that your brain will think worth remembering? Make them. Go to bed and just ''day dream'' one you can control. Walk in Caesar's Rome; have a drink with Gilgamesh in Ur (but don't play ''bones'' with him to see who pays. He cheats.. Trust me on that..) Think of the ''dream'' you want and try to put detail in it, and most importantly, while doing so, tell yourself that you won't mind that it's going into unknown lands where you can't control EVERYTHING. Your mind will refuse the idea of a lack of control for awhile, so it'll be a few nights past when it finally works, but it will, IF you're honest about wanting dreams. Some people HATE them; they can't stand that lack of control.<br />
Happy Trails..

Best Answer

You state with great confidene that the questioner does dream every night - thousands even, and then go on to say that they would in fact be dead without the chemicals released during dreaming.
Do you in actuality have any references to studies that have actually studied the issue and back up your statement, or is it just one of those thing you instinctively "know"? I would love to see the facts presented backed by some scientific research - especially given that according to you, I am some sort of Vampire or other walking dead.

Best Answer

Over one summer I tried the "I will remember my dream tonight" every night as I was just drifting off. Then every morning as soon as I was just opening my eyes I tried to think back to my dreams. Surprisingly I remembered at least one dream every night, but if I didn't write it down at that very moment, I wouldn't remember it even an hour later. The more I focused on remembering dreams the longer into the day I could recall dreams.<br />
I think writing down really helps, but more than anything, if you really want to remember your dreams you have to have undivided focus both when you go to sleep and immediately when you wake up (at least in the beginning).<br />
Think of dream recall as something that must be practiced and you may get somewhere :)

Best Answer

it is actually common for most people to not have dreams, just all the phony bullshit saying you do dream is false as well as having more than one dream because when you dream you don't dream until 2-6 minutes before you awake you brain just processes in such a fast rate it seems like hours.<br />
But to answer your question electronics interfere in our dreams so by not using any sort of electronics like microwaves and fridges, as well as phones and computers , 45 minutes before you sleep will help you A) sleep better B) have dreams and remember them.

Best Answer

you might never dream because you never really get to the third level of sleep witch is REM -sleep , witch is were dreams are made. this usually happpens to people with anxiety or lots of stress.

Best Answer

An awesome way that helped me, i had the same problem, I taught myself to have lucid dreams using the W.I.L.D. technique. You should look into it.

Best Answer

I think this bit of information will help everyone:<br />
"In extreme cases of no recall, still another thing may be going on. These people may be dreaming very little or not at all. That probably sounds unlikely to most of you who heard growing up that everyone dreams at least during the four or five Rapid Eye Movement (REM) periods of the night. But the people who did that research in the 1950s and early 1960s may have jumped the gun a little because they hadn't studied the full range of people. ba<x>sed on recent studies, including one using low recallers who were very low on visuospatial skills, it now seems probable again that some people don't dream.<br />
Moreover, some people who suffer lesions in specific parts of the brain are known to lose their ability to dream for varying periods of time. These unusual cases show that it is possible to have the usual amount of REM sleep -- about 20-25% of the night -- and not dream. And to be mentally healthy without ever dreaming."<br />
So, yes, there are people who just plain don't dream, and it can be traced back to specific parts of the brain functioning differently than the majority of people.<br />
I can say from personal experience that not everyone dreams. I haven't had a dream in the 18 years of my life. I have been interrupted mid-REM, I've repeated 'I will remember' to myself for extended periods of time, and I've attempted dream journals at the suggestion of a therapist I used to see.<br />
I am perfectly capable of imagining very visual and sensory 'daydreams' while awake, and still aware of my surroundings, in certain situations (such as a dark, empty room with few other focus points), but whenever I actually fall asleep (whether it be at night or during a boring class), I experience more like time jumped forward and completely skipped the duration of my sleep, regardless of how suddenly I was woken up, and what state of sleep I was in.<br />
Now, if you have had dreams you remember at some point, it might just be you have a low recall percentage, but I would try the many other methods to remembering dreams before suspecting that you don't have them at all. But, if you haven't had a dream at all in your life, despite attempts to remember and even therapist assistance, you might be part of the small group of people who don't.

Best Answer

You said when you sleep it's like "time jumped forward and completely skipped the duration of my sleep, regardless of how suddenly I was woken up, and what state of sleep I was in" That is so weird because I always seem to know if kind of how long I slept. Not to the point where I can say the exact time. But I can recall if it was short or long.

Best Answer

When I was young, I only had dreams that were either a 'rehash' of something I had done usually recently before, or they, as it turned out, were of events that would unfold soon. Never had I had dreams of vidly wild nature or such. I even had the ability to unravel others dreams. It circulated around my church and my dad paid special attention to this and said this was a gift. It was uncanny. But after going away to serve in the Marines and eventually, in the war, I fogot to dream at all. It is not really even posible to delve into others dreams anymore. I am a devout Christian who studies Messianic Judaism and we are Pentecostals, so this once 'gift' is something special to me, if I could regain it. Now, 20 years removed from the Marines, I still have no dreams, except, in the last 2 years, I remember 3 occassions of a dream and in each one, my deceased dad was present. Doctors tell me I have TBI from a cobat injury and no short term memory and migraines, so it is possible I just do not remember any dreams. So why 3? And why all of a sudden?

Best Answer

To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever actually done a study that proves (or even suggests strongly) that everyone does in fact dream. This beleif is one that "everyone" seems to "just know", and I have seen people get nearly violent in their defence of this belief.<br />
I have tried many different versions of technique to recall dreams - it has never happened. Perhaps it is time that people came to accept that just because they dream and can't imagine life without them, that it is not necessary that everyone else does as well. I beleive that I function quite well without them. :)

Best Answer

It's been several months now I've notices I've had no dreams. I think I get enough sleep. I wake up rested and energized. I turn a lot but only after I've woken up from sleep. When I sleep I'm completely out. But can't remember any dreams.

Best Answer

Forgetting them to avoid something as a defense mehanism ?

Best Answer

Stop smoking so much weed?

Best Answer

You may want to DVD them, and watch them when you wake up.<br />
If they're blank, that could prove you don't dream.<br />
Sweet Dreams.

Best Answer

Dreams being mainly irrelevant are hard to remember why would you care? I'm sure you must dream.

Best Answer

Try repeating to yourself "I will remember my dream" several times before you go to sleep. According to my Pscyhology teacher, it works.

Best Answer

We remember our dreams when our REM sleep is interrupted, that is to say if we are woken during REM we will remember what we were dreaming even if only for a little while. If your sleep patterns are pretty well normal then you probably get past REM before you are wakened. The people who remember the most dreams have the worst, most interrupted sleep

Best Answer

Hi I was lookin this up cause I used to not dream much but now I'm having loads of dreams I think it depends on the negativity around you I recently started driving to a lake I feel where I feel at peace every day I think this is one of the reasons I think stretching and exercise like yoga can help also reducing meat and increasing fruit can help you remember your dreams you won't find this advice in a capitalist society because there is no money be made hope this helps

Best Answer

I also noticed that I used to dream of shadows scaring me I used to chase them but one night I chose to bring someone I loved into the night mare it instantly became more real and I could see what the shadow was

Best Answer

I was told by my boy that he never has dreams.this went on for many years.never gave it much thought.my boy as i now know suffered from hydrosephalus extreme fluid build up in left and right ventricles in his brain.undiagnosed for several years.finally enough symptoms of this caused referal for ct scan just procautionary.it was only after this scan his condition was diagnosed.a parents worst nightmare was realized with consultation at mcmaster hospital dr baroni looked at ct images and suddenly got real serious were going to try to deal with this today.brain surgery was nessary and now.he said i cant send him home.almost within 12 hours he assembled a team had a plan 3rd ventriculostomy.surgery was a complete sucess.after my son came around in recovery.he was fine but it was very late so with the all well he was soon off to sleep with his dad beside him and rest of family at ronald mackdonald house.when he woke up the next morning he said dad i had dreams last nite.he litterally had not had a single dream since his earliest childhood 10yrs no dreams.the surgery fixed him he was just 16.that was 7months ago he still continues to dream much thanks to mcmaster childrens hospital and their neuro team and our family dr'.there is no doubt that this was life saving surgery.so if someone says they have no dreams ask for clarification is this litteraly absolute or very rarely.in my sons case there was an absolute absence of dreams.my son never ran with fluid type motion other children seemed to my son had henoch sheinlin pupura at about 3 4yrs old.this may have caused the blockage in his brain causing hydrosephalus.ags 7 9yrs headaches 8th grade mandatory testing at school he scored in the lowest percentile.grade 10 started to have vision problems one eye.then some unsteadyness in standing.it wasn't until all these symptoms finally added up to enough to warrant further investigation the ct scan if this post can save one persons life it was well worth all this writing one thing in itself may not mean much but it was the lack of any dreams i feel most noteworthy.not trying to scare anyone. god bless.

Best Answer