I can understand why they are afraid of venomous snakes, or large constrictors, but what's wrong with a simple garter snake?
naturefreak1 naturefreak1 22-25, F 7 Answers Nov 20, 2012 in WTK

Nothing is wrong with snakes.Respect their presence and leave them alone.

Best Answer

I have no idea, I have 2 Ball Pythons, and they are so sweet!

Best Answer

Gardner snakes don't usually bite but they do when provoked. A wild animal is really unpredictable which is why they're afraid of them. As for me, I have a fear of snakes because I was bitten by one on my hand. I have the scars to prove it.

Best Answer

A dog or cat or any other animal we keep as pets will also lash out if they are provoked. Not just snakes. (I used pets as an example because most people like these animals. It seems like most people don't like snakes.) Your fear makes sense since you were bitten by one. But I have a friend who is just afraid of them and he has no rational reason for it. I just don't understand it.

Best Answer

It's not the animal or idem that you're afraid of, it's a psychological thing hence a phobia. The trauma that happened during that time remains in your mind, whenever you see the very thing that gave you that trauma, your mind freaks out, sort of like a memory flashing through your mind without the picture. That's why there are people who are afraid of ridiculous things like styrofoam or cotton balls. I've been bitten by dogs many times before and I love them but it so happened that the snake bite has given me a phobia of them.

Best Answer

So, someone can have a fear of something they've never actually encountered before?

Best Answer

It's possible but fears usually start when they've been encountered in a traumatic way.
A fear can start early without actually seeing it in real life. For example, Tyra Banks is afraid of dolphins. They came to her in her dreams, where they where attacking her and pushing her down in the water.

Best Answer

Strange.

Best Answer

Yep.

Best Answer

I believe it is said that it goes all the way back ti the garden and Adam and Eve...it is all psychological

Best Answer

too long and slithery!

Best Answer

They're just different. It makes them intriguing.

Best Answer

eels really freak me out as well!

Best Answer