Serious answers only please. I will delete any that I think are inappropriate or obnoxious. I would like to hear from those that do or don't believe in God and especially those that didn't but do now.
strangersnthenite strangersnthenite 22-25, F 36 Answers Aug 22, 2012 in Religion

I do believe in God, not sure if you want reasons why for that choice too :P I don't feel like dealing with a mob of rabid Atheists going ape shît at the moment though.

Best Answer

Wise decision. I would like to here your reasons though. You are more than welcome to send me a message if you'd like.

Best Answer

Maybe in the morning, it's 130am here and my brain is starting to fizzle :P

Best Answer

I do believe in God. I feel like whether a person does or does not believe is a personal choice. It's not something that can be "proven" in an obvious, dumbed down way. It's complex... but if one is willing to put the engery into it, I think that it's worth it in the end.

Best Answer

I don't necessarily believe in God, as in any religion has it. I believe in...something, I just don't think humans can comprehend what God is and what it means to the universe. And I feel like every religion out there is wrong, none of them make any sense. After all, how can one of these religions be right and all the others wrong? How can someone honestly believe the writings, of a mortal man, from thousands of years ago, as truth? It just seems rather ridiculous that I'm expected to believe in a religion that has no factual evidence at all, and all the hard questions I have about them are answered by, "Have faith"

Best Answer

What do you say to the fact that we didn't ask to exist...

That we didn't make our own mind by which we make these supposed choices...

That we didn't make the world that we have to adapt to with its rules and conditions if we want to survive and not be taken to jail or outcast or killed?

How do we have free will when we didn't choose the options we have to choose from?

I'm not debating, just having a conversation.

This god ideal is the same thing as we see in this world.... follow authority... get rewards... disobey authority... jail or worse.

Same thing going on, don't you think?

IF God didn't give you any blessings or heaven ever... would you still follow him... no right... in that case we are still full of greed and selfish and only using those who can benefit and satisfy our desires and senses....

If there is a creator it doesn't mean he is smarter... it would only mean he has a different perception of knowledge than we do... different... not better or worse... not smarter or dumber... different.

I'm simply having a conversation... like I said I want to help my parents... but they didn't know what they got themselves into bringing people into this world... I didn't ask to exist... they wanted me to exist... but not me....

They say that they understand my points and they didn't know that having a kid would mean having a person that would have different desires from them that could causes anguish at times... they said they got married and had kids because that was the norm....

I don't care about my life... I really do wish I never came to exist... but since I suppose my wishes don't count... I have no other choice but to SUBMIT to the authorities that are already present.

You have no idea how it would satisfy my senses (selfish I know) to have someone talk to me using reasoning... Admit that we did not choose any of this IN THE FIRST PLACE... but no.... no one even listens to me or has a serious conversation when I bring my points...

My dad is honest... he says... hey if god exists I submit because I don't want to go to hell... I think I will be better off to be on the side that has more power... I didn't choose to exist... that's just the way it is....

THAT is honest... not to say things that contradict the way things present themselves to be....

Best Answer

I think I get hung up on the word "God" You see, I do not see "God" as having human attributes, I see God as Nature AND the creator of Nature. People get so ridiculous with their useage of the term. "God told me this, or God sent me this "message" as if God were like ole George next door or that all mighty GOD knows them and their intimate little tedious problems but God just cannot or will not do anything about world hunger, poverty, and disasters that effect thousands. (yet HE cares deeply about their favorite baseball and football teams winnings and losses) It's all so absurd.

Best Answer

I believed in him for the first 19 years of my life. I was indoctrinated at a very early age and that process continued throughout all of my pre-college school years. Once I escaped the close-mindedness of those Christian institutions, it wasn't too long that I started thinking for myself about what was moral and what I should truly believe. I realized that there wasn't any foundation for believing in any sort of god whatsoever. If I was born in another part of the world where another religion was relevant, I would have most likely been believing in an entirely different god. Also it is hard to use a book that endorses killing gay people and keeping slaves as a guideline for how to live one's life.

Best Answer

If by God we mean the traditional tri-omni God, then:

(1) The evidential version of the problem of natural evil: we can say that there is a possible world where God could allow this much evil not caused by our free will and still be good, but it is very unlikely to be actual.

(2) The evidential argument from the hiddeness of God: he is strangely absent from the world, why? There is no logical problem since it is possible for an unconcerned prime mover to exist such as that proposed by Aristotle, but it seems unlikely.

(3) The evidential problem of non-belief: this is mostly for the abrahamic religions where God is presented to be concerned with us believing in his existence, yet his inaction is unlikely given such a trait.

(4) The logical contradictions in the tri-omnis (e.g. omniscience violates personal privacy which violates omnibenevolence).

(5) An inductive argument from the minds that we know: the disembodied mind of God is unlike the minds that we know exist, so it doesn't cohere well with our current set of known facts.

(6) The evidential problem of animal suffering: animals are sentients that lack the capacities for free will both under libertarian and compatibilist definitions, so it is unlikely that the amount of suffering the animal kingdom inflicted on these unwilling and non-choosing agents is morally justifiable.

The problems faced by any creator-God is that it requires platonism about abstract objects to be false to argue for it's logical necessity, and the action seems to violate any coherent notion of objective time. If we have two states of affairs that is before time and after time, then with the lack of temporal succession we are saying that these states of affairs were both true at the same time, which is a contradiction. What meaningful ontological distinction can be made between these two states of affairs?

For a God that is of different character traits that would be compatible with deism, then problems arise with the fact that belief in God is not properly basic, so the lack of evidence provides a positive reason to dismiss it if rejecting philosophical arguments in favour of his existence.

Best Answer

I read your long ,complex,Analysis and I must say you're too smart for God.

Best Answer

Too many miraculous things in my life have happened for there not to be a God.

Best Answer

What about the poor starving children in third world countries, what about the innocent murdered molested children, where was their miracle?

Best Answer

Perhaps their miracle is in how they effect and change other peoples lives without even knowing it. It depends on how you view what a miracle is. For some it could be rain during a drought, and others a smile from a stranger that changed the course of their day. There are little miracles all around, it's just whether we choose to see them or not.

Best Answer

Part of it is that I can't make myself buy the idea that there is some all-powerful dude on a cloud listening to and watching everything we do, who has planned to let bad things happen to good people, who is supposed to be loving and merciful, yet vengeful, based on what people feel like interpreting that day.

The other part is watching the high-profile people that *do* believe in God. They're so loud and so over-the-top that if anything, it drives me further and further away.

Best Answer

If you don't believe in God.... what do you believe in? If you don't mind me asking. In hard times, everyone turns to something. EX: God, psychics, fate, luck, fortune tellers

Best Answer

Honestly, I don't believe in anything. In hard times, I focus on things like family, pets, maybe a bit of writing. No gods, no psychics, no fortune-tellers. I don't believe in fate and I have very little faith in luck.

Best Answer

I absolutely do believe and HE loves us all being the sinners we are.

Best Answer

I believe in God, but not the Judeo-Christian god. To me, christian doctrine doesn't make much sense. I was raised christian, but have done a lot of research on other religions and the origin of religions along with other related subjects.

Best Answer

I don't remember exactly when I stopped believing, but I also can't say that I ever truly believed. I know when I was younger, I said I believed in a god but that's probably more of me being told that there is a god and not critically thinking about it.

I know of some things that made me think about the Bible and religion. I read the Bible and early on, people lived impossible lifespans. Then the story about Noah's Ark. Then I learned about how the 7 day creation story was based off of the Babylonian creation story (and this is coming from a Catholic school).

I also started thinking about all the different religions and whether they were right or wrong. I actually looked into many in depth to learn what they were about. I also realized I didn't feel a need to believe in god/goddesses/whatever.

In many ways, not believing is a lot more peaceful than believing. I do good works for myself and for others, not because it may get me into heaven. In many ways, I will say I am better than many Christians. I volunteer at a food pantry, I volunteer on the fire department/EMS, I am studying to be a nurse to help people and not the money, etc.

When people die, they are dead. They do not wander around on earth. They do not burn in hell. If a person is aggressive due to a health condition, it is the health condition and not some demon possessing them or their cruel actions aren't going to mess with their souls.

Best Answer

I used to. God is a very ambiguous and in most religious terms thinks of such a God would have us be going a certain way with it by our obedience and standards. And that it is suppose to be Most Perfect in Loving Us. These Religious Interpretations is in my ideas are only the ideas of those trying to reach Eliteous Status by trying to Control Us and Others by miss-conceived ideas to moralize the savageness that has come from being Human. Or that such a God backs up the Elites for what they want. Instead of getting into the Sciences of Understanding other Truth's. Because Science of understanding the Universe does offer a better edge on gaining greater Powers and is abling the use as Evil's this way also if not that we can discern the Understanding of our Universe with our own Benevolence and good nature of ways, Science to me in the good ways is our Ayurveda's to the more truths in Life. But this Divine Being is not coming through to me Ayurvedically. There for some reason is an Evil and it makes me wonder if God isn't so much there and as Perfect, but that our Divine in the Universe is only learning how to deal with a Universe (???) Not So Perfect that I can go by deceptional Religions for trying to get control of our own ways of Discovering this World in its Mysteries and Wonders that most want most of Us to Retrain our Discoveries of and on this Life with even more meaning to it. God is not really to me what the world wants us to believe. But if I find that any such Divine can offer more of a Ayurveda in my Life, then I hope to be on the right tract with it. But I do not believe this God in most cases as the way this world would have Us to. Its miss leading most of Us for Human Controlling.

Best Answer

I did believe in "God". I don't any more. Some years ago, I took an interest in quantum mechanics. If God wasn't such a popular idea, and if the christians (the american taliban) weren't so afraid of science, the whole god-concept would go the way of Thor, Odin, Isis, Pele, and the rest of the gods and their children.

There is an energy field. it appears to be aware. It does not, however, involve itself in the workings of our lives. To make it easier to understand, it is "being" but it is not "a" being. Because of the Big Bang, which left us all entangled, we are one being, and that one being is the energy field, that physicists call the quantum field, the morphic field, the unified field, etc, and spiritual people call the universal intelligence, the greater self, etc.

Better than 99% of quantum physicists are non=christian. They have found something far more beautiful, inspiring, empowering, and satisfing. My life is a gagillion times better as an ex-christian than a christian. when I stopped insisting that God be part of my worldview, the beauty of live exploded - within and without.

Best Answer

I believe in god. Its true most people believe in a god because he or her needs a reason to feel adequate like there is something to keep them from falling in this desoate pit. Let's examine the word god. Its just a title. There are many gods. I so happen to believe in jehovah. There is a difference in religious people than those who ust believe in a certain deity. Let's face this... all things must end...atleast in this world. So if my lord exists then the non believers will see and then be forced beyond will to see the truth. Belief requires a humble person anyway. I have had too much destruction in my life to ignore the miracles of something greater than myself. Also let's examine the word devil...it simply means liar.

Best Answer

Look, people are comfortable with there sin. We all (myself included) hold our sins near and dear to our hearts. We don’t want to be accountable to an intelligent designer so we PRETEND there isn’t one.

Best Answer

At first, I thought I believed because it was what I was raised to believe. Then, I thought I didn't believe because so many things never made sense to me. After that, I thought I was agnostic. Now, after realizing that there's more to the multiverse, this universe, and existence than any of us can comprehend, I realized that no one has asked the right questions. This all goes beyond "belief", and pertains more to the details of what is believed.

Best Answer

I do not.

Because it doesn't exist.

I can find nothing that can't be explained without invoking a god.

Best Answer

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.", Stephen Roberts.

Best Answer

The idea of a god is preposterous on its face and there isn't a single shred of evidence to even suggest the existance of a real god. Man invented god. That is the simple truth.

Best Answer