All music and movies are commercial. You think "arthouse" movies don't have a paying audience? Or that people don't pay to go to a festival of World Music?

Best Answer

To whom are you speaking? I love IFC and Sundance Channel, the Indie Film Fest just flew through our town, I love alternative music and college radio. But as soon as anything indie or underground gets noticed, then it's considered commercial. Duality, it's a *****.

Best Answer

Mainstream (or commercial, whatever you want to call it) is easier to find, easier to understand, easier to enjoy. There's nothing wrong with this, I think: it's just a question of choice.

Best Answer

Check out the movie Repo the Genetic Opera. Co-creators Terrance Zdunich and Darren Smith worked for over a decade to get the movie made and there is no advertising budget, and they had to fight for everything they got to see their idea come to fruition. The film is not for everyone but is truly original!

Best Answer

There is no set answer to this, as much as many people try to find a perfect "equation" to explain it.<br />
There will always be commercial elements to non-commercial artists and vice-versa. <br />
I tend to sample equal amounts of specific content from both communities, so I can get a wide range of diversity as I can from both camps.<br />
And then, when I get too comfortable, I ask my friends to push the envelope for me, and make recommendations outside of where I would normally go.<br />
It's not perfect, but I get lot of stuff I like this way, no matter what label is pressed onto the outside of the package...

Best Answer

I enjoy movies purely for the sound effects...otherwise foreign films are just nice to watch for the scenery. for thirty years i have listened to the mainstream music industry whine and cry about decreasing sales:( Look at the Jam Band Nation and see the new model of music business. several bands allow recording OR you can download the nights performance for a small fee. Several bands gave a free CD if you DID but it from a mass market.

Best Answer

I agree with you but I do like the commercialized stuff too and it is nice to watch and listen to other styles of music and movies just to get out of the norm.

Best Answer

The only commercial movies I watch are the trailers they play to get us to go watch them. And hey! They have some pretty snappy songs on commercials too!

Best Answer

You can't expect everyone to share your interests. Maybe they have tried these "unusual" forms of art and prefer the mainstream.

Best Answer