It was, until 1972. But people are starting to accept that it is a sexual orientation that a person doesn't get to choose, and not necessarily harmful to society, and so it doesn't qualify as a disorder if it isn't dangerous to your well-being and it doesn't impair normal lifestyle or harm anyone else.

Best Answer

It was at one time, until very recently. Still is, to some people, and in certain communities.

Best Answer

Yeah and several common sex acts are still illegal in about half of the United States.

Best Answer

No they aren't, sodomy laws were ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in the case of Lawrence vs. Texas in 2003.

Best Answer

so its all about what a community thinks about certain behaviors? as in many societies it is considered as psychological or personality disorder , why certain communities consider this disorder because they told so by their religions. some consider it bad due their culture, some think it as bad because its not in nature, as babies couldn't born by homosexuality. and who agree upon these behaviors as normal they made a consensus about this with in their societies.

Best Answer

Because it is none of the above.<br />
How come ignorant hateful people who ask stupid bigoted questions don't all just go **** themselves?

Best Answer

It isn't a stupid question, but your answer is pretty stupid. He asked why, and all you said is "because".

Best Answer

Well, like almost everything "stupid" is in the eye of the beholder. In MY opinion, since that's all I can offer, it is a very stupid question with a very obvious answer. And I did not write (just) because. I wrote because it isn't any of the above. Meaning...it isn't CONSIDERED any of those things because it ISN'T any of those things. Just wanted to clarify since you seemd not to understand.

Best Answer

But it is considered those things in some parts of the world. And that still doesn't answer the question of "Why?". You are just saying what the question already implies.

Best Answer

Lots of behaviors, sexual and others, are accepted in some places and forbidden in others. I think the question implies the opposite of what I wrote in answering.
But, I don't wanna argue...and I already "liked" your answer because it was good, and to,show I am not petty, small minded, or looking to fight with strangers.
To me, the implication was quite clear--the asker is a homophobe and think homosexuality is all of the above. I think he is 100% wrong. And I don't care what the laws in one place or another say about it at all...I think the laws are irrelevant, and that there are unjust, and or outdated laws all over the place.

Best Answer

Because it not considered a disorder of any sort by the medical and mental health communities and I think gradually most people are coming to that same point of view. I am sure there will always be those who feel differently though

Best Answer