I speak a few languages. I would've thought that if any country should yield the greatest population of bilingual people, it would be America. But there is still a lot of cultural ignorance regarding cultures that have been in America forever. Why are so many ethnicities living together-- literally crammed together-- and are still not a part of each other's heritage?
DaSSRedemption DaSSRedemption 31-35, M 17 Answers Feb 9, 2013 in Hobbies

America is two-fold. The first fold being the native Americans who through societal influences are instilled in the belief that we are the best at everything, and leaders of the modern world. This creates a kind of inflated ego, and which ultimately leads to ignorance. We are a people of mass distractions. We live our lives fulfilled in these distractions. These distractions include being bombarded by advertisements and our society engineers greed and covetousness. It can't be helped. There are a few of us who have taken the time to realize this and thus educated ourselves but this is what I ultimately believe is the reason behind your concerns.

Best Answer

Because America is an ethnic melting pot, it needs some commonality. That commonality is the English language. The more we get away from that the more fragmented we will become.

Best Answer

Thanks!

Best Answer

I'm not talking about languages but about common bonds. We are more like a tossed salad than a melting pot.

Best Answer

Nothing wrong with a tossed salad. Healthy eating.

Best Answer

We used to be a melting pot. Where we joined each other as one as Americans. Now we are fighting to be separate again. Irish~American, Italian~American and so it goes. It is sad, I like very much to enjoy sharing a culture that is mixed and referred to only as American. We can celebrate cultural differences while keeping them under one name and not feel as though my cultural history has been lost while I enjoy your history along side mine.

Best Answer

For a very long time the attitude of Americans (the descendants of immigrants who arrived before the 20th century) was that being an American meant checking one's "foreign-ness" at the door. It wasn't until the mid 70s that people began embracing and hyphenating their roots. Now, arguably, many people who come to the U.S. feel no need to assimilate at all and insist upon the right to be accomodated in not doing things "the American way". There's probably a happy medium between the two extremes, but we've yet to find it.

Best Answer

It need a little more salt.

Best Answer

And several other spices.

Best Answer

Yes, the mettle East brother and sister to name one.

Best Answer

people do not like change

Best Answer

This is the most concise answer.

Best Answer

A lot of it has to do with conservative isolationism. For example, there's a conservative outcry every time a state tried to change public information to make it available in Spanish and English. The motto is, "You're in America, learn English!"

Best Answer

One does not simply throw ingredients into a pot and expect them to mix together.

Best Answer

Because people really don't want to melt together, that's a liberals fantasy.

Best Answer

This threatens to be the best answer as 'honest' as it is. But I don't think liberals should be fingered for dreaming. Maybe the problem is with people who don't want to dream.

Best Answer

It's not everyone's dream to melt. Hell not even liberals want to melt with conservatives. They understand the folly of the melting pot.

Best Answer

Not wanting to melt is understandable, but it's also hypocritical or at least counter-intuitive. Where should melting begin and end? I have a feeling that that's the real question.

Best Answer

We we're never a melting pot. We're a salad bowl no mixing but the ingredients stand next to each other.

Best Answer

This is well-said. I sometimes meet people who see beneath the apparent and sometimes meet people who like to tell it like it is; but I rarely meet both features in one person. Sounds like you don't mind being both.

Best Answer

well... the world runs on diversity... so the fact that america tries to be a melting pot should show you how misguided the whole idea is.

Best Answer

Because most of them have their nose to the grindstone and shoulder to the wheel.

Best Answer