Xtwos Xtwos 31-35, M 10 Answers Nov 5, 2012 in Community

An ancient Viking joke.

Best Answer

The Danish made the names misleading deliberately to fool viking raiders

Best Answer

Global warming will at least soon fix the Greenland issue.

Best Answer

I love your answer :o)

Best Answer

The answer about why Greenland has a higher ice thickness than Iceland has to do with two aspects of geography, altitude and latitude.

Regarding altitude (height above sea level), Greenland has a higher average altitude than Iceland. For every kilometer of altitude, there is a temperature drop of about 6.5 Celsius. That extra amount of coldness allows a thicker ice cap on Greenland, which adds even more to the average altitude of Greenland.

Regarding latitude (geographical distance from the equator), Iceland has a latitude of about 64 degrees, and Greenland has a latitude of about 72 degrees, meaning that Greenland is further from the tropical regions of the Equator.

For the two reasons of higher altitude and higher latitude, Greenland therefore experiences a much shorter melt season than Iceland. Last year in 2012 for instance, Greenland had only a 3-day melt season, while Iceland had a 3-month melt season.

Best Answer

the norse wanted to confuse there enemies so they swapped the names. So if you were like: im going to go pillage some norse guys for killing my village and my family! you would hear they lived in iceland so when you got there and it was green you would be like.....oops wrong place well time to go where all the snow and ice is. Then they would be safe. or thats what i heard.

Best Answer

The Vikings discovered and named them...misnamed them to throw off other sea faring nations

Best Answer

They are not in fact made of ice or grass.

Best Answer

Well actually Iceland does have a couple of significant ice caps.

Best Answer

I bet you're only on page 12 of that joke book.

Best Answer