Age-ism drives me nuts and it's primarily people (women) in my age bracket that fall foul of it. Jennifer Aniston, Julianne Moore, Selma Hyek, Nigella Lawson ... All look amazing. They look like amazing looking women in their 40s. What's wrong with that? http://www.imdb.com/list/cOHJxLhUy9M/ Why are we so obsessed with looking young when the age we are is hot enough? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Dollyismyleader Dollyismyleader 41-45, F 9 Answers Jul 14, 2013 in EP

I see your point, but they stand out because they are better than the norm in their peer group. I always thought that an attractive mature woman was in many ways more attractive than an attractive younger woman because she was defying the norm.

Best Answer

Yes but that's what's attractive about every generation - standing out form the norm of their peer group.

Best Answer

I'm with you. And I agree, in the world of "attraction," that women are most affected. As a non-woman, I confess I never paid much attention to agism until I became unemployed recently, for the first time since I entered the work force 45 years ago. But now I'm discovering that not only is ageism very real, but that men are in no way exempt from it.

Best Answer

More than looking good, I would like to be good, especially in the soul.

Best Answer

LOL...I agree. I don't like the plastic surgery look. The aging looks far better than the stretched out look. I think society emphasizes youth and beauty to endorse and perpetuate consumerism and vanity, which both line pockets. But you can choose to not participate...which is what I, and apparently you, have done. Yay us! :)

Best Answer

Yeah, yay us! And you have a lovely face and I can't see how your age makes that more true or less true. It's simply a lovely face.

Best Answer

Thank you for the kind words <3

Best Answer

it's our 'youth oriented' culture sadly - but many know and are beyond this - STILL - what's wrong with looking, dressing, (or 'being') younger than your chronological age? - long as it doesn't come across silly. (granted - it can be a fine line).

Best Answer

What's wrong with just wearing the clothes you look good in? You won't necessarily look good in the current fashion and that's true for young people too.

Best Answer

Absolutely nothing of course. I agree one may not look good in certain contemporary styles. My comment was meant to be a bit more 'general'.

Best Answer

I just think however you are IS your age, your real, chronological age. I don't know why I'd have to look at the fun I have and say to myself 'gosh, I'm young for my age' - why not 'gosh, I'm 45 and I have a lot of fun'. Why is fashion, liveliness, or fun the automatic realm of the young?

Best Answer

shove the modesty, I am good for my age, my body is in great shape looking better than women half my age. My confidence and sexuality at its peak. bring it on! xx

Best Answer

It's got nothing to do being modest. I'm not modest. I'm a hot 40 something but I'm a 40 something that's proud of it and not trying to erase a decade. I see women in their 30s all of the time who are fatter, plainer and duller than me. Age isn't the key here. Being fabulous is.

Best Answer

I can say I look 'good for my age' but when others say that to me I find it condescending

Best Answer

You can say it if you're hedging your bets on the self confidence front - or you can just say "I look good" - end of.

Best Answer

Its a dam good thing.

Best Answer

How?

Best Answer

Irs nice to taken for younger than you are ,to be able to do things ,by keeping yourself in shape,it happer than being REALFAT and not moving,for both genders

Best Answer

but being in good health and being in shape isn't the same as being young. I could leave my house now and bump into half a dozen people younger than me but fatter and less fit. What's youthfulness got to do with it?

Best Answer

It does seem a bit unfair doesn't it?

Best Answer

It's not unfair - it's stupid. All that needs to happen to change it, is for people to stop being stupid.

Best Answer

If we look young, we somehow feel we are farther away from death?

Best Answer

That's hot?!

Best Answer