Call me naive, but I didn't know that paraffin oil (=mineral oil=kerosene = petroleum) is used in the big bulk of cosmetic products. For example in most skin lotion which is nice for one time use since it doesn't spoil like natural oils, but it's also not absorbed by the skin, just clogs the pores and essentially long term makes skin more dry and also more prone to develop rashes etc.... wtf, seriously?!
laleee laleee 26-30, F 5 Answers Apr 19 in Health

Most natural oils have very complex chemistries and are full of aromatic molecules. For this reason, concentrated natural oils are often irritant to skin and can never be used pure. Hence the dilution.<br />
Paraffin has a predictable composition so the finished product will contain fewer "surprises" and since it's neutral, it won't alter the scent in any way.

Best Answer

Thanks for explaining that...I guess a major point is also that it's cheap.... but still, just because it's easy to use,makes it better than natural oils?!
And using paraffin for food? That sounds downright disgusting! And the environment? When this all goes down the drain with shampoo for example?

Best Answer

The fact something is distilled from petroleum doesn't make it automatically worse than something natural. Take castor oil seeds for example: ingesting four of them is enough to kill you. Nicotine is also natural and no one would say smoking is good for your health.

Purified mineral oil even has medical uses. It used to be administered as a laxative but these days, it's mostly used in veterinary medicine. One use is that it can coat parasites and asphyxiate them.

The refined grades of paraffin oil used in cosmetics these days won't clog pores. Pore clogging is more of an issue with fats that have a high iodine number: those are prone to solidify as they oxidise. That doesn't happen with paraffin but it does happen with most natural oils.

Best Answer

I know it's used in medicine as a laxative.. you do make some good points... but I'm not really convinced it's so harmless... especially not for the environment.... and es wax for chocolate...?!

Best Answer

The immense amounts of packaging that female beauty products use cause far more damage to the environment than any paraffin they contain.

Unlike motor oils, paraffin isn't full of burned-up carbon and heavy metals so, don't expect it to be serious pollutant. Remember that even your faeces are pollutants in that they supply extra nutrients to algae and their grow will diminish oxygen levels in rivers and so, kill fish.

You meant beeswax in chocolate, as to give a shiny appearance? It's harmless.

Best Answer

Isn't paraffin wax made of paraffin oil? it is used in all kinds of chocolate recipes.

Best Answer

huh! yeah I think so... what I found out is that it's not toxic but not biologically degradable... so eating that sounds yummy....

Best Answer

Seriously how did I not know this?! Ignorance really is bliss!

Best Answer

Don't think for a minute that the government cares about our well being it is all about who is paying off who.

Best Answer

why shouldn't it be?

Best Answer

Cause it's not biologically degradable... and the reasons listed above....

Best Answer

why wouldn't it be biologically degradable? it's just fat :)

Best Answer

It's petrol

Best Answer

it's fat :) very stable fat. petrol is biological too, remember?

Best Answer

through thousands and thousands of years..... that's not called biological degradable....

Best Answer

petrol was once vegetables...

Best Answer