I truly appreciate all the answers everyone has given on this question and the others like I have posted. Your input has been valuable to me in the research I've been doing, and will be priceless in the paper I am writing. Thanks again for all the help.
tjb2684 tjb2684 26-30 55 Answers Jun 6, 2011

I guess it's like female friends calling each other the "b" word or referring to each other as *****....it is considered OK among "friends" or members of an exclusive group. It's like a joke, I guess. But it's considered an insult from strangers or people who aren't part of your group.

I do think it's silly and a bad idea, though. If people want to see that word eliminated, and if it indeed carries so much hatred and bad feeling, then they should stop using it. Period. Using it among themselves like it's supposed to be funny just keeps it around and encourages other people to use it. So it is kind of ridiculous when they do so much to keep the word in use, yet get all upset when other races follow suit. No word belongs to any particular race.

Best Answer

I agree 100%.

Best Answer

But why the **** do white people wanna say ******/nigga anyway, get over it - I know it's the first time that you guys can't get away with something what with you being allowed to murder and enslave and rape a whole race but for once, admit defeat and sit the **** down.

Best Answer

Um black people rape murder plenty are ignorant and do plenty of bad **** just like white people just like other colors n races it's not color it's the person and there are plenty of ****** up people in this world who think that the world owes them everything when it really don't owe them **** o and by the way black people had slaves to if you didn't know white people had just as much trouble as anyone else even now a days because people think everyone owes them something so why dot we stop bringing color in this when the n word means ignorant and there are plenty of ignorant People in this world all colors

Best Answer

Perhaps it's a generational thing. I could happily live without EVER hearing the word again, and I DON'T understand any black person who feels otherwise. It was said everywhere when I was down South as a child visiting my parents' families, and in THEIR generation it was often the last word a black person heard before meeting a violent death. I hear other blacks, (especially young people) try to justify using it by saying,"we're taking back the word, to remove the power." It was never OUR word, it was a belittling name OTHERS gave us, and it would take another 400 years to remove the power from it.

Best Answer

You know, I completely agree with you. I'm white but I live and grew up out in the country and I hear everyone of all races drop the N-bomb on a daily basis. I have never said that word for the mere fact of what it means and why it was used. It's a very ugly and cruel word.
I've had a family member on my dads side come up to me at a reunion and threaten me with, "If you ever date a ******, he'll never be seen again." because I made a point once that I wouldn't care if a guy was purple with blue hair; if I really liked him, I would date him.
This is the year 2011 for goodness sake. Why are people still so badly bent up on race and name calling? I just don't understand it...

Best Answer

They are the ones who have suffered for being called that name and now that it's in their hands they get to do with it what they wish. Respect it.

Best Answer

they haven't suffered at all because of that name, they suffered due to ignorant oppresive ********. If they want to be treated like normal people maybe they should stop calling eachother *******.

Best Answer

that's the problem whitey created the word and now whitey wants to rid the word

whitey always has to be in control
black s can say the word amongst each other all they want
why the hell are you concerned with what black are calling each other
non blacks knows ****** was categorized to mean offensive degradation so why the **** would you be trying to say ****** anyway

Best Answer

This word is a part of their history; it belongs to them. So long as you don't share the same history as them, you can't judge them for using it. I don't understand the logic in your last statement...

Best Answer

Their History? Please! Thats a joke. I will respect all those whose family's may have been brought into this country or raised during the time of slavery. Things were truly different and I get that. But get over your self. Just because your great great grand father or mother was enslaved does not give you the rights to abuse the freedoms they fought for. Its about rising above the level of thug and making yourself a better person and helping those around you see that there's a better way to conduct your self in public and in private.

Best Answer

Lololololol I say nigga all the time.

Best Answer

lol say it around me and up mess u up ignorant word for an ignorant person and that what you are : D

Best Answer

learn how to type and talk you dumb broad :)

Best Answer

Does "African American" mean that person is from Africa ? Hell No. I am white but am not a "Irish American"

Best Answer

It is OK for n i g g e rs to say the word n i g g e r for the same reason that n i g g e rs can advertise on TV, "Give to the American Negro College fund because a mind is a terrible thing to waste". Also, n i g g e rs can have a Miss BLACK America contest, and n i g g e rs can have a pro-n i g g e r organization called, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, yet Whites cannot have an American White College Fund, nor a Miss White America contest, nor a National Association for the Advancement of White People.

N i g g e rs are BOTH racists AND hypocrites... THAT IS WHY.

What people don't understand is that anybody over the age of 50 (who grew up in the South at least) commonly used the word n i g g e r and negro interchangeably with no intended negative connotation at all. Do you even know where the word came from? In Spanish, the word for "black" is negro. Spanish, Portuguese and other Europeans were those first slave traders who bought slaves from West Africa (who, by the way, had been captured by their "own" rival African tribes and made slaves in the first place by "negroes", NOT white people). The Spanish speaking slave traders understandably called the slaves "negro", the Spanish word "black". The word stuck once the slaves made it to Portugal and other parts of Europe, and eventually America. The word negro evolved lazily to become n i g g e r, just like in the South the word banana lazily became "nanner", tomato lazily became "mater", and potato lazily became "tater", etc, etc, etc. There was NEVER any conspiracy nor mean spirit intended. Negro simply means Black in Spanish and so they were first called "Black" by the Spanish slave trading industry and the word evolved from negro (i.e., black) into n i g g e r over time. It is as simple as that. I grew up using the word, not as a derogatory term, but simply because there was no such thing as "African-American" at that time. It was what they were known as. I can still remember when "coloreds" became the popular label (and is still used by the NAACP) and now even the word "colored people" is somehow deemed offensive by some negroes (despite the NAACP). In fact, in my short lifetime I have seen the acceptable term switch from first n i g g e r or negro to "coloreds" and then to "blacks" and then to "afro-americans" and then to "african-americans". So you can see that even the n i g g e rs cannot ever make up their minds what they want to be called, so why in the hell should you crucify me simply because I am old-fashioned and stick to traditional vocabulary I grew up with. Why try to make a mountain out of a mole hill and wear a chip on your shoulder? Get over it!

Best Answer

No, it's not okay.

Best Answer

I personally dislike that also. If another lesbian called me a dyke or something, I'd punch her teeth out. And I also hate how a vast majority wouldn't be caught dead saying ****** but they throw around ******

Iike it's nothing.

Best Answer

this is an ignorant word for a ignorant person no one should say the **** if some one calls me that see wont i attack them i ******* hate that word and ive heard it said to many times

Best Answer

thank-you as I agree with you I am caucasian and I find it insulting when people use the N word so i wanted a perspective from an african-american. .I wish that the rappers of today wouldnt use the word in their songs as it is teaching kids its ok .their view is well lil Wayne or so and so says it so its ok

Best Answer

I don't know. I am an Asian that was always called a gook or a chink as a kid. I wouldn't ever want to call another Asian those words. Yeah, they went through my mind. Lots of things do. I just can't see calling a fellow Asian a derogatory name for fun. I don't mind calling an Asian person a "Boat person". That's in jest. The other derogatory Asian words -no. If I were called a Jap, that wouldn't be so bad. The "n" word can be so harsh. I like a lot of rap, but still - too much makes me wince. I don't think I would feel better about myself if I referred to myself as a "hard-*** Gook" or "hard-*** Chink". I don't know. It just irritates me to hear so much self-debasing. Then again, oppression and racism affect different people in different ways.

Best Answer

I think we all know when it is proper and when it isn't - you just need to get over it.

Best Answer

I do believe that you - tjb2684 - are a racist, this post and many others that you post all have a racist bent to them --- What a shame.

As regards an answer -- its been covered - Its how the word is infered determines whether it is racist or not --

Best Answer

no, I am not racist, in fact some of my closest friends are other races then I. To tell you the truth, I was doing a bit of research on the issue, getting peoples opinions for a paper I am writing in school.
Everyones input has been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Best Answer

I agree, and I'd even go further to say it's racist for a black only to like blacks saying the N word.

Best Answer

no **** ******* ni***** oops sorry if i offended you, I watched a rap video and thought it was a normal thing to say now.

Best Answer

say it in my presence and see if its normal...

Best Answer

I would beat your black *** senseless!

Best Answer

Lol beat your knob,ya knob

Best Answer

I rarely hear any black person say "******". I hear nigga. Either way, it's slang. nigga isn't looked at as a hateful word in the black community, unless you're one of those uppity black pride zealots. considering there are still so many racists that do say ******, i can see why any black person would be offended by hearing that from a non-minority.

Best Answer

Thank you for giving me permission to say nigga, This was the phrase i was referring to, as you are correct I rarely hear one say ******.
I like this answer and appreciate the time you took answering it, it shows you aren't what that word implies.
The only thing I still wonder is why the word nigga is a popular slang, when it sounds very similar to the other, and thereby implies the same exact thing to the majority of our populous.
To me the word has a very negative connotation, and whether or not it is ok to say, I doubt I ever would.
Come to think of it I would unfortunately have to agree with the uppity black pride niggas
but in all seriousness, where did it come from?

Best Answer

Because its not personal to those who share the experience. It's very personal and offensive when others try to exploit the word for their own fun, even when not intended to degrade, because it appears to them to be marginalizing the word and its horrific origins.

Lets just agree that it shouldn't even be used by blacks but they have earned the right to use it if they feel the need to express themselves in that way.

Best Answer

I've never really understood why black people use this word but get angry when another race uses it AND IM BLACK!!!! maybe it's because I grew up in a place where there weren't ALOT of African Americans and I grew accustomed to it and then I moved and went to pretty much an all black school and people picked on me I was "trying to be white" what is trying to be a race?

Best Answer

I personally hate double standards. I don't care if you feel it is only ok for one race to say something. I believe it is better to be above reproach. What I mean by this is that why should we willingly do anything that is questionable? If you tell someone else not to do it then don't do it yourself. I also believe that the white people, blacks, jews, asians, germans, all races pretty much have endured slavery at some point in time through out history. Africans actually enslaved each other... and that was not even as bad as what the jews endured or event he perscution that the christians went through. We have all been through the fire. I personally believe that we should have moved passed all of this a long time ago. Either treat it as a normal word or everyone do not say it at all. I never take any word as hostile unless someone declares it to be so. So I say this, please stop taking offense to things ( anything) unless you are 100% certain that offense was the purpose from the opposite party.

Best Answer

It's not okay for anyone to use the word ******! I don't care who you are. The same is true for the word cracker, dyke, homo or any other word/phrase that degrades another person. IT'S EITHER ALL OR NONE WHEN IT COMES TO THOSE WORDS!!!!

Best Answer

We cannot ignore the fact that '******/nigga' is a slur, and we cannot ignore the fact that people are offended by the word, even by its mere utterance, even when they know the offense as unintended. It taps into a part of our brain that resists rationalization. However, context can overturn this offense, which is why it is sometimes more acceptable to African Americans if members of their own biological race use the word. In certain situations, uttered by certain individuals, we consider something inoffensive that would be offensive if uttered by anybody else in any other situation. My guess is that African Americans are more offended when they hear a Caucasian American use '******/nigga' because it conveys the spirit of degradation, hate, and prejudice towards a group of people that was based solely on the color of their skin.

If you are Caucasian American, it would probably behoove you to forgo the utterance of this word, even if you are using it as a term of affection. There are countless other words that can take its place. But this can be said to African Americans as well. I see no justification behind the continual use of the word among African Americans. It’s one thing to try and neutralize a taboo word by openly using it, but deeming the word’s utterance forbidden for a specific biological race only perpetuates its negative power.

The enslavement of a specific group of people is disgusting and it's utterly inconceivable that supremacy still exists today. I have never understood how someone can look into another human being’s eyes and see anything less meaningful than their own existence, simply due to something as trivial as skin color. We are not all the same, but we are all equal.

Best Answer

You must be a n i g g e r!

Best Answer

I personally think of it like spitting. People only say it because they think it makes them cool or improves them somehow, but i have friends that are Black and they never say it, they they come from respectful families and they would treat it similarly to a really offensive curse word etc..

I know white people that say it and TBH they are all pretty much the same person, walking around in groups, thinking they own everything.

I think the word should either be left alone or treated like any over curse word.

It is extremely stupid, black people fought for equality, now they want more????

Anyway that's what i think :)

Best Answer