I truly appreciate all the answers everyone has given on this question and the others like I have posted. Your input has been valuable to me in the research I've been doing, and will be priceless in the paper I am writing. Thanks again for all the help.
tjb2684 tjb2684 26-30 59 Answers Jun 6, 2011

It is OK for n i g g e rs to say the word n i g g e r for the same reason that n i g g e rs can advertise on TV, "Give to the American Negro College fund because a mind is a terrible thing to waste". Also, n i g g e rs can have a Miss BLACK America contest, and n i g g e rs can have a pro-n i g g e r organization called, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, yet Whites cannot have an American White College Fund, nor a Miss White America contest, nor a National Association for the Advancement of White People.<br />
N i g g e rs are BOTH racists AND hypocrites... THAT IS WHY.<br />
What people don't understand is that anybody over the age of 50 (who grew up in the South at least) commonly used the word n i g g e r and negro interchangeably with no intended negative connotation at all. Do you even know where the word came from? In Spanish, the word for "black" is negro. Spanish, Portuguese and other Europeans were those first slave traders who bought slaves from West Africa (who, by the way, had been captured by their "own" rival African tribes and made slaves in the first place by "negroes", NOT white people). The Spanish speaking slave traders understandably called the slaves "negro", the Spanish word "black". The word stuck once the slaves made it to Portugal and other parts of Europe, and eventually America. The word negro evolved lazily to become n i g g e r, just like in the South the word banana lazily became "nanner", tomato lazily became "mater", and potato lazily became "tater", etc, etc, etc. There was NEVER any conspiracy nor mean spirit intended. Negro simply means Black in Spanish and so they were first called "Black" by the Spanish slave trading industry and the word evolved from negro (i.e., black) into n i g g e r over time. It is as simple as that. I grew up using the word, not as a derogatory term, but simply because there was no such thing as "African-American" at that time. It was what they were known as. I can still remember when "coloreds" became the popular label (and is still used by the NAACP) and now even the word "colored people" is somehow deemed offensive by some negroes (despite the NAACP). In fact, in my short lifetime I have seen the acceptable term switch from first n i g g e r or negro to "coloreds" and then to "blacks" and then to "afro-americans" and then to "african-americans". So you can see that even the n i g g e rs cannot ever make up their minds what they want to be called, so why in the hell should you crucify me simply because I am old-fashioned and stick to traditional vocabulary I grew up with. Why try to make a mountain out of a mole hill and wear a chip on your shoulder? Get over it!

Best Answer

I want to know why is the most racist comment, the most liked? Says something about those people. Because as I see it why would a non-racist white person want to use that word if he knew where it came from, regardless if we use it or not, so to the racist who don't want to be called racist, get used to being called what you are, no white person who are not racist will have any problem with the white person that does use the word being called a racist, because that's what you are, if you know where it comes from, and still use it, then try and use the fact that we use it as an excuse for being racist.

Best Answer

****** means more than the word Black. If it didn't, all the English speaking people today who use it as an insult would just say black. They used it as a form of abuse and control. If you say any word in an insulting way it will get a reaction. It is never ok to insult people.

Best Answer

I'm sorry but no, this isn't racist. And you are incredibly short sighted and a troll to say as much. Especially with that name you signed up with really proves it. Or maybe you really are that sheltered who knows.

Really read what Nig geruno said above, Negro means black, it's why when n i g g e r became taboo and politically incorrect to say Negro WAS the accepted term. Most importantly I think you have to understand how language evolves to get what they're saying. It starts out with a solid common word, when speaking to a Spaniard about that black guy over there (or even a modern day Mexican) you might say "¿Qué es ese chico negro haciendo?". Key word NEGRO, and as they said it transformed over time, probably as a derogatory term (as political correctness is a VERY modern concept) such chink and spic did. Or even the modern wigger, jigger, chigger, etc. And their point of reverse discrimination is pretty right on the dot except NAACP is no longer just for black... err african americans, the point of "colored people" is the fact that they stand for everyone not white from black/brown to yellow and red people. I think there was a case recently that the NAACP took up protecting land rights of native americans (which is where my blood hails from predominantly 25% white, my grandfather was white both my parents are natives). But I grew up white, I don't hear stories of how the earth was formed or listen to my parents speak pottowatomie, never even been to the tribal land (though I guess I am registered and I did get to collect a scholarship to college). The only reason I don't call "my people" indians is because indians live in Asia.

You want to hear racist, most people I know (I don't have any black friends because I live in an area that is over 90% white in the entire metropolis) have two definitions for how they refer to a person of African decent.

A) Black people are those people who speak and act in a socially acceptable way, follow the rules of society to a certain extent (the average extent) and tend to get along with non black people without initial hostility. I wanted to add "and act white" but see most other cultures and races don't seem to have this problem of integrating with society however for some reason n i g g e r s.

B) N i g g e r s, essentially the polar opposite of what I explained of a black person, the ignorant, white hating, stero typed black in their teen/early-mid 20's esspecially during a n i g g er moment (see The Boondocks season 1 episode 2). And I have met my fair share of those (as I leave the safe haven of my white picket fence, white neighborhood, mostly to buy drugs from a n i g g e r in the inner city).

It really is just a question of can you integrate with society, even if there are still racial disparities especially with cops (big believer in the "driving while black" offense and not that it's a sterotype), other races and cultures do it why can't you. Why do you have to have the biggest murder rate of your own people putting us higher then countries with active war zones. Anyways I have been at this response far too long for feeding a troll, I just thought your response deserved a direct response calling out your ignorance and sheltered life.

Best Answer

I guess it's like female friends calling each other the "b" word or referring to each other as *****....it is considered OK among "friends" or members of an exclusive group. It's like a joke, I guess. But it's considered an insult from strangers or people who aren't part of your group. <br />
I do think it's silly and a bad idea, though. If people want to see that word eliminated, and if it indeed carries so much hatred and bad feeling, then they should stop using it. Period. Using it among themselves like it's supposed to be funny just keeps it around and encourages other people to use it. So it is kind of ridiculous when they do so much to keep the word in use, yet get all upset when other races follow suit. No word belongs to any particular race.

Best Answer

I agree 100%.

Best Answer

But why the **** do white people wanna say ******/nigga anyway, get over it - I know it's the first time that you guys can't get away with something what with you being allowed to murder and enslave and rape a whole race but for once, admit defeat and sit the **** down.

Best Answer

Um black people rape murder plenty are ignorant and do plenty of bad **** just like white people just like other colors n races it's not color it's the person and there are plenty of ****** up people in this world who think that the world owes them everything when it really don't owe them **** o and by the way black people had slaves to if you didn't know white people had just as much trouble as anyone else even now a days because people think everyone owes them something so why dot we stop bringing color in this when the n word means ignorant and there are plenty of ignorant People in this world all colors

Best Answer

Its called hypocrisy...

Best Answer

That's just hypocrisy and double standards. Bit confusing for young people who don't understand..

Best Answer

stupid *** fool, stop being racist

Best Answer

Well if your wondering why we would want to say n*****, why is it okay for you to say cracker? It's not. Grow up and stop acting like you guys are so big and bad. It's annoying.

Best Answer

oh yeah your not racist with a name like fuckcrakas your just as racist as the kkk nice ebonics bro you say we raped and enslaved your nation, are you sure about that?, cause you blacks do a excellent job of enslaving and raping your own people , if we never brought you over as slaves you would never get liberty and freedom africa is a hellhole bent on violence and greed! , and 120 years later you still cry slavery !! you will never be free until you realise that what happened 120 years ago isn't the next generations fault, you blacks
act so childish give me this, give me that, no wonder 60% of your mothers and fathers are crackheads and alcoholics because you cry slavery in a free world , i'm not saying white people are perfect but with a whiny attitude and greed you do nothing for society!!! , you blacks will be americas downfall, so go loot and rob cause it will just destroy the economy and the land you love and hate.

Best Answer

Putting all the white people in the same basket is very racist as well. My nation was enslaved under Ottoman empire way before Americas were discovered, and we were occupied much longer than slavery was legal in US. Also we never participated in slave trade. So does that give us right to call someone else ******?

Same reasoning can be applied on individual level, nobody today engages in slave trade or mass murder of black people but cannot use the word just because of the color of their skin.

I'm not defending the use of the word, I'm just saying that whoever uses it no matter what their skin color is being racist.

Also is it ok for black person whos ancesstors proffited on slave trade to use the n word?

Best Answer

This has no logic behind it and only adds to the racism which is already prevalent. If you wish for the world to continue murdering and abusing a race then I am sure you would happily allow for racism to continue.
However, I am sure you do not feel that racism is something that should be a common place occurrence therefore I suggest that you think before speaking out of hate. As for telling people to sit down, if you think that sitting down and saying nothing will help the inequality of the world to resolve itself then I think you will find many people who disagree with your ignorant views and opinions and will, instead of sitting down, stand up and cause more violence than the world really needs.

Best Answer

Perhaps it's a generational thing. I could happily live without EVER hearing the word again, and I DON'T understand any black person who feels otherwise. It was said everywhere when I was down South as a child visiting my parents' families, and in THEIR generation it was often the last word a black person heard before meeting a violent death. I hear other blacks, (especially young people) try to justify using it by saying,"we're taking back the word, to remove the power." It was never OUR word, it was a belittling name OTHERS gave us, and it would take another 400 years to remove the power from it.

Best Answer

You know, I completely agree with you. I'm white but I live and grew up out in the country and I hear everyone of all races drop the N-bomb on a daily basis. I have never said that word for the mere fact of what it means and why it was used. It's a very ugly and cruel word.
I've had a family member on my dads side come up to me at a reunion and threaten me with, "If you ever date a ******, he'll never be seen again." because I made a point once that I wouldn't care if a guy was purple with blue hair; if I really liked him, I would date him.
This is the year 2011 for goodness sake. Why are people still so badly bent up on race and name calling? I just don't understand it...

Best Answer

I think we all know when it is proper and when it isn't - you just need to get over it.

Best Answer

I agree, and I'd even go further to say it's racist for a black only to like blacks saying the N word.

Best Answer

no **** ******* ni***** oops sorry if i offended you, I watched a rap video and thought it was a normal thing to say now.

Best Answer

say it in my presence and see if its normal...

Best Answer

I would beat your black *** senseless!

Best Answer

Lol beat your knob,ya knob

Best Answer

there you go again.... resorting to the only thing you all know.. violence. Two faced hypocrisy . If you can say it I can say it.. after all it only means Black in spanish.. its not an insult it simply means BLACK.. so GET OVER IT! And stop threatening us... are you one of those people who play polar bear? As long as you all resort to violence over a stupid word and most everything else you nowadays perceive as raaaaaaaaacist you will NEVER be respected as a people.

Best Answer

What an ignorant thing to say. Everyone knows ****** is a derogatory term used to offend the African race. Yes, "negro" may be the Spanish word for black. However, "******" was, and still is, used by other races to offend the African race. The reason why we do not like other races, especially Caucasians, to use the term is because of the history and hate that the past generation of Caucasians filled it with. With that being said, it will never be okay in our eyes for you guys to say it. No, we did not suffer like the African race did during the slavery and Civil Rights Era, and no, you should not have to suffer for what the past generation of Caucasians did to the African race. However, ALL of us do know the history and context of what the African race went though with the term, which is why we, Africans/African-Americans, will always be offended when another race says it. As far as us calling each other "*******" and "niggas," of course it is okay for us to say it to each other because we are saying it to each other. Call it dumb, stupid, or a double-standard, but why are you so worried about us saying it to each other? I just told you why it is offensive for other races to say it, but I bet there will still be pointless argument about how it is not fair for Caucasians to branded as racists for saying it. By the way, derogatory terms used by other races to offend Caucasians will never be as offensive as terms like "******," "kike," "spic," and so on. These terms have history filled with hate, pain, and suffering behind it, where as "cracker" does not. I also want to talk about what you said about "us" always resorting to violence. That is the dumbest thing that I have ever heard. Not all "black" people are violent, just like not all "white" people are racist. There is good and bad in every race, and the sooner we ALL realize this, the better off will we be. Who am I kidding, though? We will always be branded the most violent race of them all, and you will never take us seriously.

Best Answer

I've never really understood why black people use this word but get angry when another race uses it AND IM BLACK!!!! maybe it's because I grew up in a place where there weren't ALOT of African Americans and I grew accustomed to it and then I moved and went to pretty much an all black school and people picked on me I was "trying to be white" what is trying to be a race?

Best Answer

I feel sorry for you because you suffered something I TRULY don't understand. Blacks say WE WHITES keep them down but just as your case proved it is the BLACKS who keep blacks down. You spoke like an educated person because you were, and instead of them trying to learn from you they wanted to drag you down to the ignorant negro speak of the ghetto. They pride themselves in that and cannot see why they never get ahead. So I do not feel one bit sorry for them whatsoever!

Best Answer

It's not okay for anyone to use the word ******! I don't care who you are. The same is true for the word cracker, dyke, homo or any other word/phrase that degrades another person. IT'S EITHER ALL OR NONE WHEN IT COMES TO THOSE WORDS!!!!

Best Answer

100% agree...

Best Answer

I don't know. I am an Asian that was always called a gook or a chink as a kid. I wouldn't ever want to call another Asian those words. Yeah, they went through my mind. Lots of things do. I just can't see calling a fellow Asian a derogatory name for fun. I don't mind calling an Asian person a "Boat person". That's in jest. The other derogatory Asian words -no. If I were called a Jap, that wouldn't be so bad. The "n" word can be so harsh. I like a lot of rap, but still - too much makes me wince. I don't think I would feel better about myself if I referred to myself as a "hard-*** Gook" or "hard-*** Chink". I don't know. It just irritates me to hear so much self-debasing. Then again, oppression and racism affect different people in different ways.

Best Answer

They are the ones who have suffered for being called that name and now that it's in their hands they get to do with it what they wish. Respect it.

Best Answer

they haven't suffered at all because of that name, they suffered due to ignorant oppresive ********. If they want to be treated like normal people maybe they should stop calling eachother *******.

Best Answer

that's the problem whitey created the word and now whitey wants to rid the word

whitey always has to be in control
black s can say the word amongst each other all they want
why the hell are you concerned with what black are calling each other
non blacks knows ****** was categorized to mean offensive degradation so why the **** would you be trying to say ****** anyway

Best Answer

Never meant as degradation but as a description.. you say whitey we say ******.. its what you are... ****** from negro meaning black. Do you not say you are black? ****** simply is a derivative of negro... spanish for black... also in many other languages as well. You all just decided you don't like it and have made it a near crime. Well I for one remain unchanged and you won't force me to stop thinking it or saying it when I please. And what will you do? I know.. violence... thats your only way.. hate filled words and violence rather than understanding the meaning of the word has no negative to it.. IT is simply what you are. Period. A ******. Just as I am a whitey.. same thing..

Best Answer

The use of the word perpetuates it's use. If you can say it, I can say it.

Best Answer

This word is a part of their history; it belongs to them. So long as you don't share the same history as them, you can't judge them for using it. I don't understand the logic in your last statement...

Best Answer

Their History? Please! Thats a joke. I will respect all those whose family's may have been brought into this country or raised during the time of slavery. Things were truly different and I get that. But get over your self. Just because your great great grand father or mother was enslaved does not give you the rights to abuse the freedoms they fought for. Its about rising above the level of thug and making yourself a better person and helping those around you see that there's a better way to conduct your self in public and in private.

Best Answer

It doesn't belong to just them it a description of what they are racially. We are white they are negro.. and ****** is just slang for negro.

Best Answer

Doesn't make it right. All should use it or none at all..

Best Answer

No, that's what we call a double standard. It's not one way street.

Best Answer

Lololololol I say nigga all the time.

Best Answer

lol say it around me and up mess u up ignorant word for an ignorant person and that what you are : D

Best Answer

learn how to type and talk you dumb broad :)

Best Answer

see? violence is your only answer.. just for someone calling you what you are.

Best Answer

Does "African American" mean that person is from Africa ? Hell No. I am white but am not a "Irish American"

Best Answer

I personally hate double standards. I don't care if you feel it is only ok for one race to say something. I believe it is better to be above reproach. What I mean by this is that why should we willingly do anything that is questionable? If you tell someone else not to do it then don't do it yourself. I also believe that the white people, blacks, jews, asians, germans, all races pretty much have endured slavery at some point in time through out history. Africans actually enslaved each other... and that was not even as bad as what the jews endured or event he perscution that the christians went through. We have all been through the fire. I personally believe that we should have moved passed all of this a long time ago. Either treat it as a normal word or everyone do not say it at all. I never take any word as hostile unless someone declares it to be so. So I say this, please stop taking offense to things ( anything) unless you are 100% certain that offense was the purpose from the opposite party.

Best Answer

It is the blacks who will not let us all get beyond this. They will not let go of the poor little us because it gets them so much attention and so MUCH GOVERNMENT money meaning your tax dollars.

Best Answer

I personally think of it like spitting. People only say it because they think it makes them cool or improves them somehow, but i have friends that are Black and they never say it, they they come from respectful families and they would treat it similarly to a really offensive curse word etc..<br />
I know white people that say it and TBH they are all pretty much the same person, walking around in groups, thinking they own everything.<br />
I think the word should either be left alone or treated like any over curse word.<br />
It is extremely stupid, black people fought for equality, now they want more????<br />
Anyway that's what i think :)

Best Answer

No, it's not okay.

Best Answer

I personally dislike that also. If another lesbian called me a dyke or something, I'd punch her teeth out. And I also hate how a vast majority wouldn't be caught dead saying ****** but they throw around ****** <br />
Iike it's nothing.

Best Answer

Why would you hit someone for calling you what you are?

Best Answer

Agree

Best Answer

this is an ignorant word for a ignorant person no one should say the **** if some one calls me that see wont i attack them i ******* hate that word and ive heard it said to many times

Best Answer

thank-you as I agree with you I am caucasian and I find it insulting when people use the N word so i wanted a perspective from an african-american. .I wish that the rappers of today wouldnt use the word in their songs as it is teaching kids its ok .their view is well lil Wayne or so and so says it so its ok

Best Answer

Then it stands to reason according to you that all the rappers and many negro's today say it every day all the time.. ergo they are ignorant. right?

Best Answer

Yes. Shouldn't use it.

Best Answer

I have wondered the same thing. I don't refer to black people in general as n*****r nor do I want to. The idea that it is acceptable for blacks to use that term with one another because they don't mean it negatively is B.S. I have heard many blacks use that term with other black men when they were expressing Anger, Hatred or comptempt toward that person.<br />
Also saying n****a as opposed to n*******r is a stupid argument. If micheal richards said n****a in his rant instead of n*****r does anyone think it would have made a difference?<br />
My last point is we white people don't call each other Honky's.

Best Answer

I do believe that you - tjb2684 - are a racist, this post and many others that you post all have a racist bent to them --- What a shame.<br />
As regards an answer -- its been covered - Its how the word is infered determines whether it is racist or not --

Best Answer

no, I am not racist, in fact some of my closest friends are other races then I. To tell you the truth, I was doing a bit of research on the issue, getting peoples opinions for a paper I am writing in school.
Everyones input has been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Best Answer

I rarely hear any black person say "******". I hear nigga. Either way, it's slang. nigga isn't looked at as a hateful word in the black community, unless you're one of those uppity black pride zealots. considering there are still so many racists that do say ******, i can see why any black person would be offended by hearing that from a non-minority.

Best Answer

Thank you for giving me permission to say nigga, This was the phrase i was referring to, as you are correct I rarely hear one say ******.
I like this answer and appreciate the time you took answering it, it shows you aren't what that word implies.
The only thing I still wonder is why the word nigga is a popular slang, when it sounds very similar to the other, and thereby implies the same exact thing to the majority of our populous.
To me the word has a very negative connotation, and whether or not it is ok to say, I doubt I ever would.
Come to think of it I would unfortunately have to agree with the uppity black pride niggas
but in all seriousness, where did it come from?

Best Answer

Why the helllll do people wanna say the N word anyway? If blacks are gonna stop saying it, we're gonna stop by our own standards. Not by other races, i.e. white people who can't take not being allowed to do something for once.

Best Answer