'Bring' is used when the action is coming toward the speaker and 'take' is used when the action is going away from the speaker. In recent years, in books, on TV and in movies,one consistently comes across improper usage. 'Take' used as a verb has virtually disappeared. People say 'I have to bring this book back to the library' when it should be 'take', for example. Are there no writers out there who remember English 101 grammar?
buffalotus buffalotus 51-55, F 14 Answers Feb 4, 2009

I guess it all depends upon how much education they bring to the table and how much care they take with the language. Ummm....

Best Answer

Because the teachers of today are as uneducated as the students they are supposed to making into useful members of the community.

Best Answer

At last someone decided to BRING up this topic!<br />
My pet hate is the DOUBLE NEGATIVE!

Best Answer

Why is it that people can't use 'bring' and 'take' correctly anymore?<br />
Or lend and borrow , or teach and learn, or their and they┬┤re .... what is so confusing about these words that people keep mixing them up?

Best Answer

Because I would not take the book from my home to the library, I would take the bus to the library and bring the book along.

Best Answer

I was forever bollocking my dad for this as a teen - he's Irish and they say 'bring' not 'take'. Don't ask me why, i don't know! Now i say 'bring' and my husband corrects me! My kids say 'bring' too and it does his head in. LOL. And as for Levins 'bastardization' philosophy, we could say the same for American-English - gray, color, center, etc! All spelt wrong, lol. I agree with overman; language evolves & changes over the years & there's nothing wrong with that. Old English was a world away from the modern language we all speak now. 'Itte is notte layke thiff ennymore - lol. <br />
The only time i'm pedantic about grammar, spelling and punctuation is when i receive a letter from school with mistakes; then i'll send it back corrected.<br />
For all we know, in another hundred years, we'll be writing the way we text message - den we r goin2 b communic8in like dis! Innit?

Best Answer

I think it's where you are from, geographically....<br />
New Englander's tend to say "I'm going to bring you out to dinner", etc....when it should be take...<br />
We do not talk like that in the midwest.

Best Answer

I use "bring" and "take" incorrectly all the time. Sue me.

Best Answer

I heard they gave up teaching English in schools 30 years ago innit?

Best Answer

The rules of language often change with the times. I feel there are far worse infractions than bring and take right now, such as using texting jargon in everyday conversations and correspondence. If we could get people to stop using wat and texting shorthand in business emails I think takes the higher priority

Best Answer

Language is not a static thing. It is meant to evolve. Usages and word meanings change over the years. It has always been this way. Don't lament the changing of your favorite bit of semantics. Let it go. There are more important things to consider.

Best Answer

I don't know. Eventually we'll get to the point where we are grunting and pointing like cavemen.

Best Answer

People enjoy bastardizing our language. Look at the posts here. Sometimes I don't understand anything on the post. I guess some think it cool to use dat instead of that, and dis instead of this. To me it just shows ignorance.

Best Answer