I am 55 and have pretty much been on my own my entire life. I never had a real career so I have had low level jobs and never really treated nicely at work. My whole work personality has changed to being very difficult and no one at work likes me. I started working full time when I was 18 and I am really tired of it. It seems there is no end in sight for retirement. I also have challenges with my aging mother who is 83. I don't have any real friends but do have a couple of acquaintainces that I see 3 or 4 times a year. I have had enough and don't know what to do. Sometimes I feel like finding a cheap apartment and hibernating so I don't have to deal with anyone. If I quit my job my money will only last 10 years and when it runs out I will have big problems trying to support myself. I don't know what to do any more.
AngelBuck AngelBuck 51-55 17 Answers Aug 2, 2009

I don't know.It does seem to me that some people do have a harder time.I think that a lot of it has to do with our formative years.They say the personality is formed by age 6.And those of us who had dysfunctional families have a greater burden to bear Ridding oneself of negative energy can be almost impossible.

Best Answer

my childhood was extremely stressful, and I burned out by 18. in retrospect, I don't think I'v given myself enough credit, surviving that bullshit.

Best Answer

like meteorite, i don't know if i have any advice for you but i have much sympathy. especially on the work issue and taking care of a relative. i started working when i was 14 and i'm really tired of it now too for various reasons. plus helping my disabled sister, comforting her when she's in pain, can be draining.

Best Answer

Dont blame you for being sick of it all-Life has a way of wearing you down. No advice for you just sympathy.

Best Answer

It is extremely hard for all people since their childhood. We don't know whether the water we drink is healthily safe, so we must go through filtering, boiling and containing in a clean cup..., while the bird just dips its beck into any pond!

Your problem may seem hardest now, but I don't think it is yet the hardest. So just overcome as you do for the last 50 years.

Best Answer

your life is hard because you think your life is hard. think of it as easy, and life will be easy....i think shakespeare said that....or maybe ronald mcdonald i dont remember.

Best Answer

You have taken the first step towards a change today, you have an awareness of what your problem is. Now you just have to work on a solution for it, think about what 21stcenturyschizoidman said. Maybe you could change your life with that 10 years worth of money or get someone to help with the care of your mother with the money to leave you more time to pursue something you would like to do in your spare time so that the work time won't seem so bad.

Best Answer

for gods sake , pull your self together and get on with it or go to India and see what folk have to do there and get sore knees from preying and thanking god for what you have . Things at so bad believe me.

Best Answer

come visit me in the hood sometime.

Best Answer

It is really simple you have enough money to last ten years quit your job and go back to school and find something new its what i would do.

Best Answer

Hi, I understand. I'm 57 and I still haven't got my life figured out. I kinda feel like hibernating too but I can't cuz I live with my 3 youngest ones, teens. I get my faith in God and reading His word but of course there are still unanswered questions and well, I guess, God loves a mystery. All I can say is hang on and be encouraged. By the way, sometimes you can get a self-help book, even for free on-line. I got one on forgiveness cuz I feel I need to improve in that area. It's really encouraging to read about others who have gone through the same thing and actually come out victoriously, but not without a struggle. Life is just a struggle, even for the so-called "successful" people, those who look like they have everything. And, who says your job is low-level? Where would we be without the "low level" job workers? Who says a politician or actor or banker is any better than you?

Best Answer

Do what makes you happy. Do it today. If you don't know what makes you happy, figure it out. You may not have ten years. You probably can't change it all in one day; but you can start making little changes here and there. Be gentle with yourself. Life is about the journey AND the destination.

Good luck my friend.

Best Answer

Have you considered putting your mother into a home? Harsh words I know. But you are 55 and it's about time you took care of your self.

Some people in your shoes, just walk away from their old life and do EVERYTHING they have not done before. Their lives change. Kind of makes sense. Your life is the way it is because of everything you have done up until now. For this to change you need to go and do EVERYTHING differently.

You have nothing to lose. Look how your life is now, can it get much worse?

Best Answer

Wow, money for 10 years. I hope I will have the same some day. Yeah, it's not too much, but there are a lot of people with less also. When I'm at work, I always think about what I could do additionally or instead. I'd very much like to write books and already started with some storys, but progress is very slow. Without quitting your job at first, there may be possabilities for the free time. Writing, painting, starting a website in hope that commercials will pay for a place on it. And even it seems to be hard, try to think optimistic and enthusiastic about it. Make it a self-fullfilling prophecy. Little stones can be the beginning of a mountain.

Best Answer

I felt the same way when I was 23. I was trying to do school and work while managing an autoimmune disease and a mentally ill family member. I can relate to the stress of being treated like **** at work and having no control over your own schedule. Maybe you can work part time for a while so that you can get your rest. You do not want to be unemployed, as no one hired unemployed people.

Best Answer