roseofthedevilsgarden roseofthedevilsgarden 22-25, F 26 Answers May 18, 2012

Because many people think potential life is more important than living people.

Best Answer

could not have said it better myself.

Best Answer

~ DITTO THAT ~

Best Answer

*nods*

Best Answer

See my answer.

Best Answer

I would amend that answer to "... people think *politics* is more important..."

Best Answer

Screwball religious reasons by fanatical, frothing conservo-quacks.

Best Answer

Unfortunately, they're not solely ultra-conservative religious zealots. Too many "Average Joes" who don't believe in science, revel in their ignorance in watching FauxNews daily. They aren't crazy, just completely misguided. *SIGH*

Best Answer

Fear and ignorance, of course.~~~ They are making amazing strides treating MS with stem cell therapy. And no dead babies are involved. They actually take the stem cells from the patients own bone marrow. They clean it up, destroying the existing immune cells, then inject the cells back into the patient. They are reversing the disability! Real scary stuff, eh?

Best Answer

I believe there is also hope that stems cells might be used to combat and possibly eventually reverse paralyzing spinal injuries. And I think stem cells can also be gotten from placental cells after the birth of a baby.

Best Answer

Spinal cord injuries, Alzheimer's, the list goes on and on.

Best Answer

Well said Ernie. I have believed for a long time that the cure for spinal cord injuries would come from stem cell research.
Not in my time but in the not too distant future..

Best Answer

Nobody has opposed non-embryonic stem cell therapy, Lilt.

Best Answer

Most are not opposed to Stem Cell Research in general, but in the beginning, the research was strongly rooted in cells from Aborted Fetuses.

There have been great strides made in the field. The harvest the cells mostly now from Umbilical Cords ~ called CORD Cell Research.

But mostly is was a bunch of consevative republican banter designed to decrease personal healthcare choices...

Best Answer

Ignorance.

Stem cells can be obtained from umbilical cords - but because some people seem to think people will have abortions to get stem cells, they want to ban all research.

They are so worried about policing someone else's morals that they ignore the greater good.

Best Answer

Nobody opposes non-embryonic stem cell research.

Best Answer

yes, there are people who do. They think that is you allow that, then peo0ple will obtain them other ways and claim they are non-embryonic. It isn't necessarily a huge part of the population, but i know quite a few people who think that way - and yes. some of them are in policy making (or policy influencing) positions.

Best Answer

NOBODY has been cure of anything by embryonic stem cells. Many people have been cured of serious conditions by adult stem cells from their own bodies.

Embryonic stem cells have an inherent liability--immune system rejection, because they come from a different human. In addition they have been found to cause lots of tumors in mice. (Who needs tumors when you're already coping with a severe heath condition?)

The reason that the Democrats didn't make as much noise about embryonic stem cells in 2008 as they did in 2004 was because the scientific consensus had strongly embraced the superiority of adult stem cells. That same consensus continues to this day, and people here are showing their ignorance in their answers.

Best Answer

Unfortunately adult stem cells are only multipotent and limited in use because they are matured, as opposed to the totipotent and pluripotent stems cells that would be ideal for research and much more widely useful.

Best Answer

Your information is out of date, Ernie. The adult stem cells are now the greatest hope of the scientific community.

Best Answer

It depends what type of stem cell research you are talking about, If they take stem cells from me and you they are very effective for many things and we are not harmed. But so far stem cells form aborted babies have shown no effectiveness for helping anything, in fact they have done the opposite lead to harm. Also there is the moral argument as well, Do you kill human life to use it for your own gain?

Best Answer

People using archaic religious beliefs as a weapon against, present and future benefits... :(

Best Answer

It has a lot going against it.....fetal stem cells seem kinda morbid to me....how many dead babies would you want to cure a illness? Adult and cord blood cells sound ok to me but then there is the whole cloning issue involved. People will always fear the unknown....it scares them.

Best Answer

because god made it that way.

Best Answer

I blame Mary Shelley ....

Its all Frankensteins fault!

Best Answer

Once it leads to common treatments attitudes among the public will change. Conservatives fear science until they need it.

They care more about fetuses than babies.

Best Answer

Can I sacrifice your first born for some treatment?

Best Answer

and the world is flat, and the universe revolves around earth

Best Answer

See my answer.

Best Answer

I know some people are afraid of the slippery slope. If the research proves effective, and it will, and profitable, and it will, the temptation will be there to manufacture human body parts, to have bio factories and such things. Inter species clones, bio blobs, and who am I kidding, its happening now. I have to admit, the notion creeps me out no end.

Read Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Best Answer

"embryonic" stem cells are the issue and it is because of the never-ending dispute about the origin of human life.

Best Answer

Why does the sun come up? Or are the stars just pin holes in the curtain of night, who knows? What I do know men fear what they dont understand.

Best Answer

I don't think it's quite as controversial as it used to be because it really is enormously effective and the embryos used aren't even going to develop into people anyway. They're not babies, but rather women's eggs. I think the science is behind it and the only ones opposing it are just nuts and opposed to basically everything that has anything to do with science.

Best Answer

Science and conservatism are always in conflict.

Best Answer

Yeah, but they don't HAVE to be. It's nuts.

Best Answer

cause some people don't like to make fetus health shakes with the blender of science.

Best Answer

Probably the church/embryos deal. I wonder how many adults the church aboted in the crusades and inquisitions?

Best Answer

A lot fewer than the number of adults aborted by Communists in the 20th century.

Best Answer

Although I think I would support stem cell research, I must say I still have a bad feeling about it, when you've had a child, you've seen how those cells evolve into a being.

Best Answer

Many people think their god says it's bad, so the medical positives for millions of people should be ignored to make the world fit their religious views.

Best Answer

See my answer.

Best Answer