Words that begin with a silent "P" are of Greek origin. I'm told that the "P" isn't silent in Greek, although I'm danged if I can figure out how they'd pronounce it without spitting all over people.

Best Answer

Because the first psychiatrist spelled it wrong, and was too embarrassed to correct it.

Best Answer

Are you saying Sigmund Freud is mad

Best Answer

Yes, and a sex-crazed pervert.

Best Answer

And blamed his mother

Best Answer

and a coke head

Best Answer

Some very nice answers. Psy (Greek letter : Ψ ) pronounce P as a 'hammer'.<br />
Psy has be choosen because this speciality analyse " PSYCHE " from Greek = Soul.

Best Answer

It's not. You've always pronounced it wrong. p-sychiatrist.

Best Answer

Because the pronunciation of english words is not consistent.

Best Answer

Because the English language is insane.

Best Answer

Blame it on the mafia. When the Greeks first invented the psychiatrist, they pronounced it “puh-sychiatrist”. Sometime later, the mafia “bought out” all usage of the sound “P”. Anyone caught using the sound “P” without their express permission “disappeared”. So in essence, they “silenced the “P””.

Best Answer

Psssh. Tell you later when I'm out of my SPadded cell

Best Answer

MB20

Best Answer

Not sure but if you need help i will pay for your sessions

Best Answer

looks

Best Answer

Same reason Psycho & Physio have a silent P....

Best Answer

because you cant have 4 letters without a vowel and y is a temporary vowel so h act as the fourth, if you pronounced the p then the s would be silent

Best Answer

It's because the word comes from Greek, and starts with the Greek letter "psi", which we tend to pronounce more like "sy". (Blame it on rough translation and general laziness; words that are hard to pronounce tend to get buffed off with time.)

Best Answer

p 'cause it is.

Best Answer

Shrink.

Best Answer

It is?

Best Answer

Please lay down on this comfy couch and we will talk alllll about it....

Best Answer

Nimbus needs a couple of sessions and I will pay for them

Best Answer