RadioRichard RadioRichard 66-70, M 9 Answers Mar 25, 2012

It is fairly obvious. Thugs in the UK have no fear of attacking British citizens because they know they are unarmed. Two or three hooligans can beat and rob nearly anyone (possible exception of Michael Bisping) knowing they willl always have the upper hand. When guns were banned the number of gun related homicides dropped but the price was a much higher overall violent crime rate. Citizens are now afraid to walk the streets and don't feel safe in thier own homes. This is too high a price to pay if you ask me.

Best Answer

The US includes 4 categories of crime in "violent crime." (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/violent-crime/violent-crime) Assault is not one of them, but aggravated assault is. Forcible rape is included but statutory rape is not. Robbery - taking with force or the threat of force or violence - is the US standard. These are all higher standards than those in Europe & GB, so our rates come out lower than they would if we used the European standards. One that is comparable is murder; the US is much higher than nearly every developed country in the world. One has to be careful of newspaper accounts, especially when they are citing a political party, as the article above does. Here is a better source of information for Europe, including GB: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Crime_trends_in_detail#Violent_crime_.28Table_2.29

Best Answer

"In Britain, an affray is considered a violent crime, while in other countries it will only be logged if a person is physically injured."

As usual the devil is in the details. Like rape statistics that say 20% of women have been raped: if you look at the definition used you realise that the only reason 100% of women haven't been raped is that 80% of them realised the question they were asked was leading. In this case the Tory party has failed to draw a distinction between our definitions and other countries definitions which is excellent politics but total bullshit.

That said things like Burgalries and robberies did rocket just after Labour banned guns, as did gun crime which by some measures rose 1000% in five years. Rises in crime always come after government makes it safer to commit crime. For instance a place in Atlanta passed a law requiring home owners to have a gun and the burgalry rate dropped 93% overnight.

If we allowed or even required people to carry weapons such as knives and guns you can bet that the crime rate would drop significantly. People would learn to take responsibility for themselves.

Best Answer

In most of the US merely poking somebody in their chest with your finger is considered assault. As someone said "An armed society is a polite society". Thanks for great reply.

Best Answer

Need some stats, controls used, origin of the study, date and length and who did it. Possible, yes. But when analyzed, I question if it holds up to scrutiny.

Best Answer
Best Answer

Thanks for the info. I'll read upon my return!

Best Answer

Is that really a true statistic? Can you sight a source?

I'm not calling you a liar, just seems like a very unlikely statistic.

Best Answer
Best Answer

well, part of this is addressed in the article. I am not even sure what an affray is, but it looks like a major part of the bump, and I've heard home robberies are out of control in England, but don't think those are necessarily violent crimes are they? (I mean a lot are day light robberies in empty homes.)

Best Answer

Affray is getting into a fight and about 40% of robberies happen while someone is in the house.

Best Answer

Thanks for reply. "Affray" is a brawl, fist fight, etc. In most of the US merely poking somebody in their chest with your finger is considered assault.

Best Answer