Don't tell me to define meaningful.....
Thethinkingthinker Thethinkingthinker 13-15, M 12 Answers Jun 17, 2012

True, nice question. I guess that's because It's all about what appeals to the eyes now. Meaningfulness has left quite a big vacuum which seems to have been filled by glittering nonsense. But then, its popular because people love it. And we always have the old classics and the new indie stuff for us, don't we.

Best Answer

But very few people today enjoy meaningful music......

Best Answer

if that is true, perhaps we are more shallow today.

Best Answer

Hmm, well I don;t think the attitude of people has changed. It's just that people have to listen to what they are offered. Actually meaningful music has a risk of its being not understood by the people. So the music industry has taken the safe path of going with what seems to be secure for them. One factor could be globalization of music industry. The music that is made in USA is followed outside too where listening to Western music is considered hip and cool for the youth irrespective of the the meaning or the lack of it that the piece of music holds. Such music lovers have some linguistic constraints with English not being their preferred language.

Best Answer

I don't very much agree with your last sentence referring to linguistic constraints thing, because I live in India and lot of our film music is inspired by western pop, rock, etc., but only people who study In English medium schools listen to the western styles the others the film music, but the educated people do think that the hip and cool thing......

Best Answer

beacuse people are not driven by emotions anymore

Best Answer

I think people are driven by different emotions now than in the past....

Best Answer

Perhaps because today's kids have been so totally bombarded with information (read: internet) at such a young age that simple musical relaxation with nice, decent-type people singing sweetly to them (Christofer Drew of Never Shout Never comes to mind) is more important for their psyche than the intellectual rants that the Guthries provided to different generations in the past.

Best Answer

Meaningful is personal. No matter what genre lyrics or no. Listening to the Soundscapes channel is great. It slows you down emotionally. If you want instrumental try For Love Of God by Steve Vai or Always You Always Me by Joe Satriani.

Best Answer

Meaningful taken as from a moral aspect of the society which is proved right again and again is more important......

Best Answer

I'm a stickler for morality and doing the next right thing too more than you think you think you know but I still like Metallica.

Best Answer

No offense! It could just be a mis-type but I am going use it as an example to make a point. In your question the isn't really needs to be an is. Otherwise it gives the sentence the opposite meaning that you intended it to be. Because of technology and it's effect on our society people are becoming more and more illiterate. English and communicative skill are no longer emphisized in our educational systems like they once were. News and political speeches limited to sound bites. Add texting and all these things tend to instill in the younger generation the inability to communicate complex concepts. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------When you text all you communicate is redundent small talk. The negative effect on literacy in this country has been tied to texting. The quality and rational of our idea's are challenged by interaction with others. And if our reasoning is not challenged it will not develop and we become stuck in mindless superficiality. Thus since meaningful concepts are not an active part of our lives, those concepts will not have much meaning for us in the arts such as music.

Best Answer

there is meaningful music. there is a lot of sound -- electronic versions of classical --developing well, I think. Some of the pop is good too. the song Loser is good--about bullying. And some of the country music can be uplifting and fun as well as sad and tributary--the fun one is 'if you just got a truck and you want to pump it up...put a girl in it'(those are not the correct lyrics but you get the gist)--and it continues on that vein--celebrating love in a fun way. There is a fair number of songs which are all about sex, partying and angst. I don't know if that is any different than 30 years ago. Love the angst in Tool's songs.

Best Answer

Country music's often an exception, but i feel there is hope for meaningful music.....

Best Answer

listen to the Veldt

Best Answer