40yearsoldandAbove 40yearsoldandAbove 46-50 52 Answers Jul 8, 2009

i agree with most reasons people have given i.e. young people are cheaper...however i also think that it is mainly a power thing meaning that young people can be manipulated and bullied easier, basically easier to control and are usually less of a threat no matter how good they are at their jobs , to the bosses position. Us 40 plusers would be more intimidating to 'manage' and are wiser to the games people play.40 nowadays is still pretty young lok for jobs that prefer maturity or wear a baseball cap sideways at an interview and go yoh dudes !

Best Answer

I hire people for my business and i hire all sorts and ages. The age range you are talking about (i am 47) have the most experience in the job and while some think that they are to old i tend to think that experience is quicker then youth and brain is more economic then braun. Anyone who says different is to young and doesnt know the difference.

Best Answer

Because the bottom line is everything. Older employees have higher health care costs, which cause the employer's share of health insurance costs to go up. Older works usually can't afford to work for minimum wage and, even when they're willing, employers feel those workers will leave as soon as they find a better paying job. There are other reasons, too, but they're equally poor ones.....like age discrimination.

Best Answer

You lack vitality and attractiveness. But if you have skill and experience to show for it, you'll get hired.

Best Answer

I'm 48 and finding that what everyone is saying about 'hard to find a job' is so true. And I fully understand employers position on hiring in this age bracket. But on the other hand I don't have small children anylonger that need to be picked up by 5pm from daycare, or need to attended to at home when they have an illness. And I have years and years of customer service experience that is priceless, and I have patience that has developed over the years.

Best Answer

well generally older people are hard to manipulate than younger ones. Older has a tendency to overpower others coz of their age experiance not only in work but in different ways. When a GM needs something, he can directly ask the youngs to do it without hesitations....

Best Answer

Youth is so often more important. A 40 year old isn't valued for experience when it's longetivity that is more important. The "can't teach and old dog new tricks" comes into play here.

Best Answer

I think it just all matters on the area that you live on the age group that gets hired more here its about 25-35 to get hired first and then it also matters what establishment your trying for so all it really matters how you handle looking for a job

Best Answer

I'm reliable,efficient,diligent,cleanly dress and well mannered but can't get hired. I've been with the same company for 14 plus years. Now that I want to change jobs no one will hire me. What not enough piercings? One hair color too much to handle.tell me why does a person need a resume to pump gas?I think that's just retarded.anyway that's my 2 cents!

Best Answer

idk...but right now over whre i live there hiring people who are older then me..im 20 to work becuase they figured get 2 students who work parttime...well we could hire on older adult to wokr full time and knock the students out...the young ones arent able to get a job now

Best Answer

Because we're old school and tough to sway not usually up on the new ways , we don't have much time left to work as a rule and don't and most don't put forth the extended effort as a future team pla<x>yer and younger folks are up to speed , more willing to get there foot in the door and are more easily persuaded to do more than they should have to in their position of employment. not to say this is the case of all 40somethinger's but it's the general opinion that the majority of us are this way and quite possibly true..and why not ..we deserve to be that way by now..lol

Best Answer

We are more costly to insure... well in the US anyway.

Best Answer

i work in a hospital and indeed, mostly young people are hired than those above 40 because young people are easier to mold and train, especially those fresh out of college. Secondly, we hired above 40s previously and majority couldn't handle the physical, emotional and mentally needed to work in a fast environment like the ER.

Best Answer

Because we are young enough to kick some ***, and old enough to know whose *** to kick.

Best Answer

bummer...I thought the older the better

Best Answer

I think that it is longevity....We can not be on the job as long as the younger ones....But then...they would weant to party more...So I think that is just a silly thing....Don't you

Best Answer

It does seem really difficult to find work these days when you are in your 40s and 50s... Many people who have lost their jobs are finding great success and enjoyment with the business that I am involved in- it is a business where you can work at home, and you only need the internet and a phone. Let me know if you are interested!<br />
www.attractsustainableabundance.com<br />
sustainableabundance@gmail.com<br />
~Bonnie

Best Answer

I would rather hire older people theres no substute for experience. but on the other hand I'am a old broke bas__tard with out the right to have a say

Best Answer

You're old, tired and jaded.<br />
They want people who are young, ambitious and rather naive.

Best Answer

Companies hire young people for their willingness and capacity to learn. Those that are smart will grow with the company.<br />
I am 43 and when I applied for office positions in my 20's, I was gratified when I landed my first position. I stayed just for a couple of years then I started temping. I should have just stayed put and grown with a company. At quite a few places, I've temped at, there were so many people who stayed with the company or stayed several years with one company till laid off then were fortunate to be hired by another company and stayed put.

Best Answer