bijouxbroussard bijouxbroussard 46-50, F 10 Answers Dec 18, 2013 in Doing Good

This should be a candidate for best question of the day.

Best Answer

Excellent question, Mon Ami!

Ignorance is the main culprit here. Racial slurs are intended to raise the ire of those who are deemed "inferior". The "N" word in particular elicits a strong emotional response.

The mentality of those who try make the word ok to use is both misguided & ignorant. They play right into the stereotypes many have about black culture. "Beware of the angry, paranoid, illiterate, black people!" & "They're nothing but a bunch of violent, gold tooth having, gold chain wearing, thugs!" is what many bigoted, prejudiced, racist, non blacks say all the time.

Ignorance breeds & fuels more ignorance.

Love, education, open mindedness & understanding will always serve as bridges to a more peaceful & harmonious future.

Best Answer

Thank you. It seems the younger generation want to reclaim that hate filled word. They need an older person, like our friend bijoux, who lived during the days of segregation, how conditions were. Things have improved and there are those who would love to go back to THEIR "good old days." (voting restrictions, stop and frisk, and talk of "welfare queens" and "young bucks".) Those dog whistles of racism are freely aired today. You are right. Resurrecting that word would play right into the hands of Fox News, Limbaugh and Newt Gingrich.

Best Answer

Thank you for being so kind, sir. If time travel were ever to be possible one of these days, the misguided youth would see first hand the true horrors of racism & segregation. They would come back with a different view of not only the "N' word, but all racial slurs. They would shape up & get smart REAL quick! The far right will always play "victim" while stoking the flames of racial animus. But many are hip to the kind of game they're playing. They're losing & we're winning. :-)

Best Answer

They love playing the role of "victim." I'm a white guy who went through desegregation in Florida in the 1960s-70s. I try to tell these kids what it was like. Just because I'm white they assume I'm BS. They need to have a grandparent, pastor or someone who is credible to them tell about those days.

Best Answer

Right on! Well said! Black people weren't the only ones marching for peace, equality & inclusiveness back in those days. The more younger people learn about that time, the more informed they'll be.

Best Answer

Everybody wants the pleasure button nowadays bijouxbroussard. Too much like hard work reclaiming education and hard work lol. Much more fun for them to call names and stand over people.

Best Answer

Because we live in a society that thrives on negativity. Anything that identifies us on a lower level is generally accepted.

Best Answer

I just hate that we choose to participate in it, my friend. :(

Best Answer

Its about how much power or authority you allow this word to have over you. If you know better, then it is deemed harmless. Empowerment is self inflicted.

Best Answer

Sorry I don't buy that, but it's not my point. I want to know why we're focusing our efforts on trying to make a demeaning epithet acceptable and not on making education and hard work a positive thing, like it was when my parents were young ? Because kids get bullied and accused of "trying to be white" for studying and doing well in school. Why aren't we trying to make being educated positive and gather our empowerment THAT way ?

Best Answer

Because our society has been homogenized into a group of mind controlled zombies who have little to no sense of self or consciousness. Makes us easier to be enslaved.

Best Answer

Reclaiming bad language from the past is a really bad idea. I agree, Lets be positive.

Best Answer

Negatively is easier. Too bad we can't kill that word, burn it, grind the ashes and dump it in the deepest part of the ocean. Decent civilized people never ever use that hateful word.

Best Answer

Why not indeed? Though in those days, people also had a strong motivation to push themselves to suceed. Not many people have that kind of confidence anymore, it seems.

Best Answer

I agree about the hard work and education, and that should be for everyone. Re the "N" word, I don't know. As long as it retains its power, SOME ONE is going to use it to cause pain and as a word of degradation. Perhaps the only option is to rob it of its power? I don't know. :(

Best Answer

those are things of the past we live in a Googleworld now

Best Answer