Brains are lazy.<br />
Conflicting information clashes with their world view.<br />
This is called cognitive dissonance.<br />
Whatever that world view is, some will avoid anything that makes them question it.<br />
This is because it's uncomfortable to do so, it uses a lot of brain processing power, and takes a lot of work.

Best Answer

I was waiting for someone to answer cognitive dissonance. :)

Best Answer

Deep down, they know that a true investigation of their faith would lead them to question their convictions. They fear anything different or unknown because it challenges what they feel is comfortable and may cause them to change how they feel. As a human species, we are drawn to the familiar, and prefer the commonplace. Change challenges our comfort zone, and makes us feel vulnerable. Asking questions of our belief system introduces change, challenges our comfort zone and creates fear where there was none.

Best Answer

It's funny but as an ex-theist I was able to change my worldview that I was born and raised (not to mention heavily indoctrinated) with, with relative ease. As soon as I was sure my religious ideologies did not match up with how I perceived reality to actually be, I dropped it like a sack of potatoes. I guess I'm just lucky that my mind is built that way.

Best Answer

I too changed my birth/given religion with ease, after attending college and actually reading and learning about the history of religion.

Best Answer

They might be afraid that the new idea is actually the "right" one.

Best Answer

Many people are in denial and they don't want any doubts that they have to be revealed. For example, we have all questioned weather god was real at one point in our lives. We all tell ourselves to believe and we are afraid to admit that somewhere in the back of our heads we might deny it.

Best Answer

This is as vague as it gets in the Q n A world. I dated someone similar to your mind, and pined after another just like you. Shall we examine this? No! Its called denial!

Best Answer

I keep things vague as to not offend anyone's delicate sensibilities and have the focus be on who feels slighted or offended rather than the premise ;)

Best Answer

they are insecure in their religion

Best Answer

Because in the chaos that is life people's beliefs are fragile...

Best Answer

I would put that to lots of questions if they do not want to answer to things. It would set red flags up

Best Answer