IMAGINATIONATWORK IMAGINATIONATWORK 36-40 14 Answers May 19, 2012

A lot of top-loaders start to smell like mildew because as soon as people take the wet clothes out, they close the top of the machine. The dampness in the washer has no way to evaporate and eventually the washer develops a musty, mildewy odor.

Best Answer

It is really. As others have said, baking soda rinsing will help, but I always leave mine with the soap drawer as well as the main door open a little, and have never had a problem with it whiffing.<br />
I<br />
I'm not familiar with the high-efficiency machines but will hazard a guess that they use less water so don't rinse themselves so well on the last part of the cycle.

Best Answer

Well it might not be a scam but it is a waste of money, if you wash with biological washing powder, do a hot wash every so often, dry your machine after use and leave the door open, there should be no smell.

Best Answer

I think its something to do with the filters and build up of dirt, grease and acids and calcium etc in the water that can rot or stick to the filters etc... baking soda and vinegar are the answer for sure.

Best Answer

Yes. Use baking soda or take it apart and clean and dry every piece of machinery. do either of these choices whenever needed. you'll either thank me or go insane with rage.

Best Answer

I don't have a front-loader, but my top-loader sometimes needs to have the door left open so it airs out. When I used to go to the laundrymat, the attendant would ask me to leave the door open on front-loaders.

Best Answer

No. The new high efficiency machines, the ones that use a lot less water, they start to stink over time. Don't know why.

Best Answer

No matter how well they spin, washing machines stay a bit damp and can develop mildew, etc. But just run it through a cycle with no clothes but a bit of bleach and some baking soda and that should take care of it.

Best Answer

If you were washing SKUNKS, you might need that. :)

Best Answer

No, something happens, I guess water gets stuck places or something, and it can get stinky and make your clothes stink.

Best Answer

High Efficiency washing machines do have the problem of smelling a little mildewy...

Best Answer