dbri732722 dbri732722 51-55, M 27 Answers Apr 3, 2011

Most christians only behave because they hope to get into Heaven, so most of 'em are also doomed to never get there.<br />
Atheists often are what they are because -contrary to a lot of "believers"- they have thought things over and came to the most rational explanation: the very high probability that a god, like put forward by popular religions, is a figment of those religion's imagination.

Best Answer

The whole point of being an Atheist is not believing that there is a God. A God believing Atheist would no longer be an Atheist.

Best Answer

Pretending to believe would just feel wrong I suppose.

Best Answer

You believe or you don't. If you pretend to believe and you don't and you are wrong then god would know and you would be doomed anyway.

Best Answer

What I find funny is the fact that its always assumed that even if we knew 100% for sure the christian god was real, that we would worship him. I've read a good portion of the bible, if it were true, there is just absolutely no way. Why would I worship a murderer? Or someone who created pain? Someone who made childbirth painful as a punishment? Or kicked his kids out for one mistake? Impregnated a young woman without consent?<br />
I I try to not engage in hypocrisy, which is why I walked away from the church in the first place.

Best Answer

I disagree with some of the answers, saying that one must chose happiness now or later. One can be a Christian and be happy now and still have the hope of eternal happiness. Living a Christian life for many is happiness now, not just later.

Best Answer

If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where the dogs are.

Best Answer

Which god? There are thousands to choose from.<br />
Perhaps you should start worshiping Odin, just in case you're wrong and it turns out the ancient Norse were right. Surely, you see how faulty this logic is. Sounds silly, doesn't it?<br />
No one is doomed. A rational person would not delude themselves into believing in superstition on a "just in case" basis. Atheists are people who have realized that the existence of any gods is ridiculously unlikely, so believing in a mythical deity against one's better judgment is silly and childish.

Best Answer

Those who do not believe are doomed? Doomed to what, exactly (besides a better life quality and likely a higher IQ)? Can you prove it? It's not a what-if situation--there are no gods. Invisible friends are for children, not adults. Use the brain that evolution gave you and stop deluding yourself.

Best Answer

Being a Christian requires that you cease to care about this life. You literally sacrifice happiness here for the expectation of an eternal reward. That's the price! An atheist does not believe in God, heaven, or an eternal reward. Everything happens now. If heaven is a myth; the abandonment of Earthly happiness would be in vain. He loses his only life!

Best Answer

If someone is an atheist, why "hedge your bets" with something you consider no more real than Santa or the tooth fairy.<br />
After all, if God really existed and is really all powerful, he / she / it would see right through to the underlying motivation - insurance rather than belief - and reject it.

Best Answer

Why don't you believe that "Lord Of The Rings" is true, or that there's a green elephant in my bathroom, just in case? What do you have to lose?<br />
Just because a lot of people believe in fairy tales doesn't mean everyone has to. Dealing with reality isn't a failing.

Best Answer

That's very like Pascal's wager, in which there are two possibilities: God exists, or He doesn't. If he does then a believer will go to Heaven, and if not, nothing will happen at death. If an atheist dies and he exists, the atheist will go to Hell, and if not, nothing happens. Therefore, it is surely more sensible to believe as a form of insurance, if you will. One does not believe one's house will burn down, but one still buys insurance, just in case. I can see the atheist view, of not sacrificing earthly pleasures, but they will find that the qualities considered ob<x>jectively 'good' are very similar to those encouraged by Christianity. Also, the entire Western judicial system is ba<x>sed upon Christian values, so the atheist cannot really escape these rules. At most, he doesn't have to pray or go to Church, but is that worth giving up a shot at Heaven, if it exists? Also, check out Anselm's Ontological Argument with an open mind if you want pure a priori reasoning as to the existence of God.

Best Answer

Pascal's wager is a cynical attempt to "game" God and most atheists, including me, would still cringe at the idea of doing something so disrespectful. Even though I don't believe in a god, I respect the deep attachment other people have to the idea. Pretending to go along would be deceitful and wrong and anyway, the omniscient god we're told about would know whether or not I believed. On the whole atheists are people who have done their research (a recent survey found that we generally know more about the Bible than believers) and taken the risk of standing by our belief in a non-supernatural world. There's no hate, no need to hedge our bets, and no disrespect intended for those who do believe. Unlike certain groups, we don't need to convert anyone. We get a lot of flak for wanting the full protection of a legal system that still favours Christians, and for just wanting to be left alone and have our beliefs respected too.

Best Answer

That is such a good question. But I guess it's alot like the law, people KNOW that exists and still break it. It makes they're lives easier, doing what they want how they want it.<br />
So why would they obey something they don't have proof for?<br />
(I believe, but either belief has compelling arguments)

Best Answer

I do not believe in Atheism,<br />
I have a 'wait and see' attitude towards agnosticism.<br />
I believe in God, Jesus and the holy spirit.<br />
The evangelical faiths believe that to be saved, you have to believe in that jesus died to save your soul. He was ressurected and if you are just paying lip service to that then you are NOT saved.<br />
Although specific doctrines may vary, the Evangelical faiths are all like one big family. we joyfully welcome anyone into our lives and congregations. we respect the differences and they respect ours.<br />
To be truly saved, you have to be moved by the holy spirit.<br />
by technical definition being athiest means that you have not been saved therfore you 'ain't going anywhere'.

Best Answer

It isn't that simple. There is no doom in not believing in a God. There is only learning, evolving, awakening, and uniting. "God" is existence and people can disbelieve in that but that doesn't make them any less of an existing being.

Best Answer

If your an Atheist... your 100% sure that a god doesn't exist... so there would be know atheists if they believed in one just in case....

Best Answer

look around where is your god? I can't find anything that requires invoking a god, it's just an unnecessary extra step and faking belief just to hedge my bet would be a big waste of time.

Best Answer

Whose to say anyone's doomed? That's ludicrous. And anyway, the 'God' business is awfully messy, believer's killin' each other all the time...

Best Answer

You can only believe something you're truly convinced of. You can't simply choose to believe something unless you are persuaded of it by either logic or the weight of evidence. If you are not persuad, then by definition you don't believe.

Best Answer