70 years ago today the US President signed a law ordering the internment of tens of thousands of Japanese-American citizen in concentration camps simply because of their race.
ChipmunkErnie ChipmunkErnie 61-65, M 12 Answers Feb 19, 2012

Sorry but I think it was good policy to do that at the time.. Just about every country did this - it was hardly a US only thing. Japan simply enslaved and killed their people from other countries. Would that have been better?<br />
The Japanese had a very active spy and sabatuer network here. We could have lost the war had it gone unchecked. (Germans did too). Take a moment to research what these countries did to those in nations they conquered. Ever hear, for instance, of the rape of Nanking?<br />
Second guessing is a fools game. We did what had to be done and those in the camps suffered no worse than the average soldier who also lived away from home in a barracks.

Best Answer

Somehow I knew you'd be defending the internment of the innocent.

Best Answer

And what the heck has the Rape of Nanking (horrible as it was) have to do with locking up so family who just wanted to run a small store and continue the life they'd made here? Not to mention the extremely brave and devoted service so many Japanese Americans did in our military, despite the way we treated their relatives.

Best Answer

You don't get that the internment wasvto prevent spying and sabotage? That's why it was done. they discussed just interning adults but felt putting families together was more humane.
Lots of shopkeepers had to go off to barracks during ww2. Most then went on to get shot at and many killed in trenches thousands of miles from home and family.
Compared to what those innocent men did the relatively light hardships of the interred are trivial. Everyone lost things during that war.

Best Answer

Twyla is a knee jerk Conservative...whatever she thinks the liberals are for or value, she can rationalize a position against it.

Best Answer

Actually voted for Clinton twice. You folks are so ready to dismiss others who don't agree with you using wrong info - and in this situation I'm defending the policies of a democrat!!

Best Answer

Did Japan attack America

Best Answer

Yes, but Japanese American shopkeepers didn't.

Best Answer

Its a shame for the innocent but Japan started it &amp; their death camps were much worse.

Best Answer

Actually some did. Lots of history on those shopkeeper types reporting ship departures, troop movements into ports, railroad track destruction, etc.

Best Answer

Well that's it, lets not have remembrance day.

Best Answer

Let's remember people who were the heroes.

Best Answer

Yes. Thank you...and as an aside...my grandmother remembered visiting her German cousins at the camp of their internment in Hoboken New Jersey during World War I. There was a large German community in the town back then and many of them worked on the docks of the harbor so were considered security risks. She remembers standing outside of the fence and talking to them. Her mother's family were all inside, her father was English and she had an English last name, so they did not have to live in there.

Best Answer

I'd forgotten about that.

Best Answer

Pat Buchanan was fired from MSNBC because his book has a chapter on the dangers of "white" American becoming a minority. I saw a video of him trying to rationalize his position on Hannity's show. I'm glad MSNBC fired him! The man has a lovable personna, is extremely smart and appears reasonable. He could make ethnic cleansing sound rational to people of simple minds....I won't even go into what he believes but he backs it up by making a case that Germany survived as a strong nation mainly because the are ethnically pure and were not balkanized like we will be with all our various ethnicities! Good God!

Best Answer

I want to say he never comes out and says there needs to be a "solution" (shudder) to America's diversity...he is just making the case that diversity is a bad thing for his kind...Egads! Part of me thinks some very smart person needs to put him on a prominent stage and tear his thesis apart into little tiny shreds and then set them on fire!

Best Answer

Yes let's celebrate the silencing of voices you don't agreebwith lilannie. And the silencing of Buchanan differsbfrom Nazi censorship how exactly?

Best Answer

He wrote his book, it was published and is on sale. he is everywhere promoting it..he just doesn't have a job with MSNBC anymore. What? You want to take away a private company's freedom to hire and fire who they like? This "freedeom outrage" can be posited every which way, you know.

Best Answer

He can say whatever he likes and does. But the white race is not the be all and end all of everything that is good about America and to try to persuade others to such a thing is stupid, ugly and dangerous.

Best Answer

He wrote his book, it was published. its for sale and he is promoting it all over the place....How is that being silenced? MSNBC is a private corporation and they have the freedom to hire and fire whoever they choose...see? This "freedom outrage" card can be posited every which way.

Best Answer

Who's celebrating? Not me, his ideas scare the living bejeebus out of me.

Best Answer

Its all too easy for many to forget that Hitler wasnt the only person to use concentration camps to punish innocent people.<br />
Thank you for reminding me of that and for hopefully educating those that felt concentration camps where something only Hitler used. They were around long before he was born and being used by many countries.

Best Answer

The British extensively used concentration camps for the Boers during the Boer War 1899-1902.

Best Answer

I know but people like to be blind to many of the awful things that were done by the brits or americans

Best Answer

Yes because putting families in protective custody is EXACTLY like mass extermination of 12 million Jews, gays and gypsies.

Best Answer

There were plenty of concentration camps that people were left in to starve to death and be incredibly badly treated long before Hitler. I have not said in anyway that what Hitler did was not as bad, worse or shouldnt be taken into account but merely stating that many think concentration camps were the brain child of Hitler and no one else ever used them

Best Answer

OK,I'll stop (putting my pantalones up)

Best Answer

They did the same here with both Iranians and Iraqis during the first Gulf War.

Best Answer

Still can't understand it--my father and his brothers went to fight in Europe-despite our German heritage-shame on our government for not recognizing its own citizens. They lost so much and never recovered from it.

Best Answer

There actually was some talk of putting German and Italian Americans into camps, but there were far too many of them and they were too interwoven into the everyday life of the US to make it practicable.

Best Answer

Fear and racism - easy to look at someone and see Asian-harder to tell a German from another European. A really horrible mark on our country's history, I think.

Best Answer

I wasn't aware of the figures.

Best Answer