The things I was "taught" about my body, my menstrual cycle and the attitude of hiding something shameful..... I'm still trying to undo.<br />
I would never, ever let my daughter think there was anything wrong, embarrassing or less than beautiful about the natural and amazing way Nature created our bodies to work. It's a process which enables life, the creation and nurturing of life, and it's *exactly* the way we're supposed to be. <br />
Someone once told me that if men also happened to menstruate, it would probably be an attitude of competition - who could go the longest, produce the greatest amount of flow, whose flow were heaviest. I'm not saying another word, not getting into a discussion... just wanted to share that with all of you.<br />
I for one, am going to love my future daughter(s) enough to overcome what I've been programmed to feel, and I'm going to make sure she feels comfortable, beautiful, and confident about what's naturally happening to her body as a symptom of the miracle of being able to conceive and nurture Life.

Best Answer

your daughter has an awesome mom :)

Best Answer

Thank you. When I bear a daughter, I hope your evaluation of me will be true.

Best Answer

I was taught at school, and my mum made sure I knew exactly what was going to happen to me

Best Answer

I was taught at 8 years old about having a period, I was taught by my dad, he taught health education, so it was easy for him. When I had my period at 12 years old, I knew exactly what to expect and what to do, I wasn't scared at all.

Best Answer

School taught us..but like..I still thought I was dying lol.

Best Answer

I was informed of all gory details from my best friend. I will never forget that. Apparently, this young lady had started hers before I had mine, and she was passing down the information that her mother had given her. I was quite grateful for that actually, because my mother was never around to help me with such things. And boy, was I grateful for those instructions inside of the boxes....lol

Best Answer

I was also given a heads up by someone who wasn't told and thought she was dying when hers started.

Best Answer

That's terrible when young women (children, really) are made to feel like that.... It isn't as if the grown-ups in her life don't know what's going to happen! They probably don't understand how unloving it is to neglect a young female by not preparing her in that way. My great-grandmother (Baba) - it happened like that to her too. She thought she was dying and she should just lay down in the field and wait to die.

Best Answer

Not until I was going through it. I took the birds and the bees, and all the other things well, or so I was told by my parents.

Best Answer

Nope. I had to learn what it was when it was happening.

Best Answer