http://rt.com/news/oxfam-report-global-inequality-357/
JustCurious4Fun JustCurious4Fun 36-40, M 19 Answers Jan 20, 2013 in Community

Yes, I do believe it. When I was little my grandpa told me money was the root of all evil, and only as an adult have I realized what he meant.<br />
What I don't get is, why does it matter? There's nothing left to buy! Those poor, dissatisfied people are having to look at colonizing Mars for something new to do. But share it around! NEVAH!

Best Answer

Some do share it around, but it's not enough to solve poverty, there are people (not all but some) who will mismanage every dime they got. A guy at work got his tax refund check last year, he bought an old classic car to fix up with the money ($4000 including EIC) and ended up hauling it across the scales for scrap to pay his water bill before the year was up, in the meantime he owes for a car he bought, and a lot of other things he complains about.

Best Answer

I know what you mean and have seen it for myself. The highlight is not on 'saving the worlds from poverty', but rather the simple fact of how ridiculous this has become. Is there then, no limit at all? Impossible!

Best Answer

Not handling money is one thing, but I experienced single motherhood, did well, and went on to work with other single mothers. We were the ones who did it alone, with the glass ceiling and all.
I think what with 198% inflation over the past 30 years accompanied by a mere 6% in real wage raises, you can figure out why most people are in misery.

Best Answer

I believe it and it's revolting. The gap between the haves and have nots is growing wider every second and we are losing. The rich will never give up what they have and I probably wouldn't either, but higher taxes for the super rich are in order

Best Answer

Something much more fundamental needs to change. But that's a good start.

Best Answer

I agree

Best Answer

I don't mind sharing, do it a lot and always have. And I'm struggling all the time.

Best Answer

Actually that is pretty untrue. If you took the total wealth of the 100 richest it would give enough income to about 10% to reach US poverty level. You have no idea of how many millions in the world live below what US calls poverty line. In fact in many countries, those on welfare in the US would be thought of as very well off.

Best Answer

Even the poor in US live like kings of old - what 16th century monarch had electricity? Refrigeration? Transportation by vehicle? TV?

Best Answer

Gee, the poor I knew in Phoenix were living in parks &amp; I had to drum up donations for shoes &amp; clothes for their kids in my daughter-in-law's first grade class. We also fed them two free meals at school.

Best Answer

I heard this statement, as well. I believe it -- the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The only problem is this: if you were to "redistribute" this accumulated wealth, within only a few years from now, the people that were poor ... would be poor again, and the people that were rich, would become rich again.<br />
Cheers,<br />
AnonymousButCandid

Best Answer

I know and agree, but then something is wrong and must surely be changed? Like the foundation that supports this insanity.

Best Answer

SHHHSH! We ALLL know that, we just have to keep the general populace ignorant!!! Or the republicans won't have a platform to run on.

Best Answer

Yes, you're wasting valuable shopping time citizen. Now please comply and go back to consuming.

Best Answer

there's globalised capitalism for you right there.

Best Answer

They worked to earn it. It's theirs. Giving money to the poor wont accomplish much. Once that money is gone they'll need more again. There's been wealthy and poor since pretty much the beginning of time and that's never going to change. So no there's no end to global poverty especially if you go about it by just throwing money at them

Best Answer

if they EARNED it... it's theirs<br />
No guilt about poverty whatsoever

Best Answer

What Wall Street thief ever "earned" their money? They find ways of siphoning it. Case in point: naked shorting of silver which was a hugely incorrect bet that would have spanked the Investment banks who made them. SOOO regular banks operating under different rules were allowed to make the public subsidize them after they bought the banks that weren't allowed to do that.
I guess you also missed the recent LIBOR rigging scandal. Earned...puleeze...

Best Answer

what have the people on poverty done to deserve that money though... it's not a birth right to have someone pay for your life

Best Answer

Missing the point. Please see responses to ones similar in nature. My fingers are getting soar. Didn't know this was such a 'hot' potato, especially here on EP. I'm trying to relax and thought it''s an interesting yet INSANE fact of our present reality and it shocked the hell out of me....that's all:) Just wanted to get some feedback.

Best Answer

Thank you. At least you get it!

Best Answer

No, but it is a birth right to be free, treated equally (including equal opportunities) and to not have your country plundered and occupied for your resources that you need to lift yourself out of poverty!

Best Answer

yes... how would they end it? Giving each person half a million dolars wouldn't end poverty simply create a new level.

Best Answer

No, not saying that. Just the staggering amount and what could be done with it. Just 'highlight's the extreme gap that exists and shows that there is no concept of 'enough'! That all. Wow!

Best Answer

Oh yeah, agree with you there but of the "100" top richest only 5 or so are there unjustly most are there deservedly or are there because they built on what their ancestors had started. Bill Gates is a good example so is Richard Branson, both hard working entrepreneurs who becasme insanely wealthy because their products/services were so popular/good.

Best Answer

You right. But they probably don;t feature on that list (will check) and this is the upper extreme super elite with lots of power and influence. Very big difference!

Best Answer

nope,realistic if you ask me

Best Answer

That's INSANE!!!!

Best Answer

yes, it sickens me too, but it is just the global system we live in, and since every economical system any country has had is just as shhity, i say it is time to put those economical systems that have always been just theory to work, but go tell the to the governments and rich people of the world.

Best Answer