How do you know the place you move to will be safer? How do you know the world is in decline? Things like slavery and serfdom that used to be commonplace are now abhorred. Most peoples have moved away from the concept of women as property. Violence is now not just considered a crime if committed against certain peoples. The idea that each person gets a vote is more commonplace than ever before historically. How would becoming an expat improve the world? Becoming an expat usually means that someone from a wealthy country takes their income somewhere they have a higher purchasing power. There's nothing wrong with wanting to live somewhere else. I've been to some really nice places I wouldn't mind stay too, but I fail to see how that is some sort of progress.

Best Answer

What I got from the original article is the thought that living in a more quiet, perhaps less advanced country could improve personal safety as it would likely not be a target for terrorism as much.
I moved to the Philippines from the states years ago to retire. Its a 3rd world country with existing dangers but feel safer here for the most part...

Best Answer

I've felt very safe wondering around places that other have labeled as "dangerous." I really don't think the type of country lessens chances of being victimized. I mean if you moved to a rural place even in most western countries you'd have next to zero chance of encountering terrorism as it would be a low level target. I've never been to the Philippines so I don't know what it's like and for some reason the article wouldn't come up on my computer. Still, the basic concept seems flawed as there are both dangerous and safe places in most countries. How technologically advanced a country is seems to have little to do with violence or terrorism as far as I can tell.

Best Answer

Yea I agree to some extent. Lived in Southern Utah for a lot of years and feel sure that is a safe area for the most part. Still, here in the Philippines I feel safe even though it's a very small country with a corrupt government.

Best Answer