Maryse7 Maryse7 18-21, F 10 Answers Dec 11, 2012 in Community

My daughter has autism and she already cooks with me at age seven. Actually all I really have to do is observe and take things out of the oven. She's really good with spices. She says she wants to be a chef one day. Or a "Star Girll". That would be a rock star, not an astronaut. :)

Anyway, yes, I would. I worked in the Special Needs program in our school district for years and we helped teach teens with special needs how to cook simple meals. Those kids did just fine. Other students I wouldn't have allowed near a kitchen, of course, but the ones capable of the job were no worse than the average restaurant worker.

Best Answer

Nope. I have worked around and with them..risk of spit in the food or some other unsanitary action is too high.

That's not saying people who aren't "special needs" are sanitary by default either, for the record.

Best Answer

Yes I would, my wife used to work at a restaurant that employed "special needs people" and they were excellent employees. Much better than the slack assed teenagers that worked there.

Best Answer

Sure. Just because they have special needs doesn't mean they can't put together a sandwhich.

Best Answer

2 of my brothers have autism and they both can cook. The younger likes to make tea and the other one makes delicious spaghetti. They both know how to cook several different things. Just because they are labeled special needs doesn't mean they are limited. Only severe cases that referr to those who can not do some things. Special needs kids are not as helpless as many people see them. They learn differently than others do that's why they are unique. Cause they are not A copy of what is "normal" in society. The phrase "don't judge a book by its cover" should come in handy when you see a special needs person.

Best Answer

Quite likely already have. We don't see behind the scenes in restaurants.

Best Answer

yes why not. clean good food is good food. period.

Best Answer

why not

Best Answer