RoseTears RoseTears 26-30, F 13 Answers Dec 3, 2012 in Community

We bought an older home for a ridiculously low price and did all of the renovations our-selves (husband is a building contractor) I could sell it now for three time what I paid for it. New houses cost a lot to build and you will still have to pay to live somewhere else until you get your occupancy permit for the new home.

Best Answer

This is what I was thinking when contemplating renovation. I guess this is where getting an honest Realtor would be crucial so you don't bite off more than you can chew so to speak.

Best Answer

Building a new house was fun <br />
picking out everything just the way I wanted it

Best Answer

Did you do your own footwork or work closely with the contracting company for selecting items?

Best Answer

Build a new one . . . we should get to do this once in every lifetime!

Best Answer

Building new you get <br />
1) The house you design and want<br />
2) New so modern materials and techniques = energy efficient<br />
3) New so no, or low maintnance<br />
4) New so incorporating the latest technology to make life easier <br />
5) New and energy efficient so low energy bills <br />
6) New modern comformtable efficient so easier to sell when / if you want to <br />
7) New = you dont have to repair/work with the mistakes and decay of old builders<br />
just a few examples of why I think New is best

Best Answer

I agree with them all...thank you!

Best Answer

two words: Money-Pit....

Best Answer

I haven't seen it but it sounds hilariously frustrating! I might have to find it. :-) Point taken as well lol.

Best Answer

I'd prefer brand new, you don't have to worry about any hidden problems that the Realtor isn't telling you about.

Best Answer

this is very true...sneaky bastards!

Best Answer

my first wife bought a house....then came home and told me......pipes were held together by electricians tape, the bathroom tiles fell into the tub.....after seventeen years of weekend labor and thousands of dollars it was a palace...a month after it was finally finished, she found a boyfriend and filed for divorce.....save your money.....

Best Answer

....oohhh wow. :-(

Best Answer

man...sound like life slapped you in the face. I know how hard it can be to renovate a house.

Best Answer

Id like to just walk into one that was detached and cozy and well away from annoying neighbors .

Best Answer

depends if it was an old historic rustic type id want to restore if not would want to design and build new one

Best Answer

sometimes it is easier to build your own. i built both my houses

Best Answer

I am toying with the idea of designing my first home. Did you pay out of pocket or get some sort of financing? I'm not sure how that part works...

Best Answer

i paid out of pocket till my money ran out then got a loan to finish. Its easier to get a loan if you already have something started. n the same note it is hard to get a loan if your not a contractor and building it yourself.

Best Answer

I see, thanks for your input.

Best Answer

Answer to it would be very situation specific.

Best Answer