magicriver magicriver 36-40 9 Answers Apr 29 in Community

The question that always comes back to haunt me is a simple why? This question never seems to have a satisfactory answer.

Best Answer

I don't know how the Holocaust can possibly be mentioned "briefly"

Best Answer

You are right of course. The column has to be brief, and this is the week when memorials are being held so it has to be my topic.

Best Answer

All that can be said is something about acknowledging those who died at the hands of a maniac

Best Answer

and the community that followed the madman...

Best Answer

While others were too afraid to interfere...

Best Answer

then you'll have to talk about why they followed the madmen in fairness to them

Best Answer

Oh, you mean the soldiers! I was thinking of the German citizens. That's different! There's a story in itself.

Best Answer

Tell the entire story that it was not just the Jews, but the Gypsies, mentally ill, disabled, and many other groups that was also experimented on and/or killed.

Best Answer

and educated people, priests and others too.

Best Answer

Gays. Jehovah's Witnesses. Communists...

Best Answer

How can one write a "brief" column about the Holocaust? Over 6 millions Jews and persons of other races, were brutally murdered, and kept in barbaric conditions.

Best Answer

Interview a survivor if you can.

Best Answer

Of course this would be most appropriate though I am on a tight deadline and unprepared and can't do it. Have you had the occasion to speak with a survivor yourself?

Best Answer

Yes, several actually. It was an amazing experience.

Best Answer

wow. Family members or others? Would you like to post anything from what they told you?

Best Answer

Others - we think everyone died in our family. The most interesting story was a man who escaped as an adolescent with his family. The gestapo member actually defied orders and told his family that their was a warrent for their arrest and if they did not leave in 2 days they would not be able to leave the country. so they took a train out of Germany and illegally made their way to China and lived there for a while before coming to the US. Something special was that on the boat to the US, he celebrated passover with his family.

Best Answer

if you are really desperate - just watch bunch of shoah foundation clips. i am pretty sure they are online streaming.

Best Answer

Our local community has recently published a book of the testimonies of survivors who live here. I will mention this in the column and strongly encourage people to read it.

Best Answer

perfect!

Best Answer

Thank you for all the good suggestions! Column submitted.

Best Answer

Why do historians avoid to give emphasis to the fact that Hitler also targeted and murdered special needs people, gay people , gypsies, Catholics , people of African ancestry , etc..?

Best Answer

I don't think you're entirely right about that; many discussions of the Holocaust do pay attention to this fact. But Jews were targeted with particular ferocity and determination. What is emphasized depends on context to; for us as Jews it is sometimes important to focus on mourning our own loss, which is still an open wound in many ways.

Best Answer

Well... I don't think much about that. The world is a twisted place to be. I prefer to focus in humanity in general.

Best Answer

Why?

Best Answer

be sure to mention that one guy who got killed

Best Answer

I will.

Best Answer