franklyspeaking franklyspeaking 56-60, M 18 Answers Aug 23, 2012 in Politics

I think it is a great idea and gets citizen's actively involved in the nation and teaches that citizenship has responsibilities too instead of people expecting privileges for nothing. Also from a defense standpoint it makes more sense for my home country of Canada and probably would be implemented if we ever got a leader who believed the Canadian military should be about defending our country and not about being an auxiliary of the US military. Plus military training would teach citizens to work together as a team so in times of crisis like floods or earthquakes the people could take care of their own communities in a proactive manner instead of having to wait for the military to come rescue them.

Best Answer

aargh!<br />
i would emigrate<br />
and i chose to serve in the military<br />
the main argument against is that it messes up the forces<br />
a professional army is better trained and motivated than a bunch of civilians- eg falklands<br />
also, i do not want a load of semi-trained loonies joining gangs and using half-learnt skills in society

Best Answer

National Service-Excellent idea,instill a bit of discipline,give people a bit of investment in their country and a bit of pride in their contribution..

Best Answer

I think it's good for countries to have mandatory service. You may never know if your country needs to invoke a draft to protect its borders, and having trained citizens if a major plus. Not to mention military service builds strength of character and pride in ones country. Too bad it's not fiscally possible in a country as big as my U.S.

Best Answer

Excellent points, Seabass...

Best Answer

Germany just got rid of mandatory service. Now, the US is trying to establish it? What the ****?

Best Answer

The US is not trying to establish it. I was just asking. Actually, military officers (especially higher ranks) like the all-volunteer force because they get soldiers who are much more likely to follow orders (even stupid and bad ones)--as opposed to draftees who would be quicker to point out the stupidity of certain operations/plans.

Best Answer

I think stupidity needs to be pointed out no matter what.

Best Answer

This is true, but careerists are more likely to "pull their punches" on telling the truth. It's called "office politics." We see it in civilian life as well.

Best Answer

Why get paid for serving your country when you can get paid to sit on the couch and click the remote ? Because it's called " giving back " to a country that has given us so much. It was John F. Kennedy who said,"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." That was long before the country turned into the "government should take care of me" attitude of today.

Best Answer

Slavery is wrong.

Best Answer

I would favor some sort of mandatory national service but with a choice so the military would remain voluntary.

Best Answer

Perhaps with higher pay for the military option (hazardous duty pay/incentive)

Best Answer

Maybe one year instead of two. But this time there are NO DEFERMENTS as with the military draft.

Best Answer

Exactly. If Biden's son can go (which he did), then so can the Romney boys....

Best Answer

(AND the Bush girls...)

Best Answer

I had a student deferment, but joined after I graduated college. Everybody could have.

Best Answer

It would certainly make the unemployment figures decrease.

Best Answer