There are two types of recess appointments; intersession (between sessions or Congresses) and Intrasession (recess within a session) appointments. While both parties over recent years have made both types of recess appointments there are many academics and constitutional scholars who question the legitimacy and constitutionality of Intrasession recess appointments.<br />
What President Obama has done is an affront to the separation of powers, the Constitution of the United States, and the American people. <br />
The President WITHOUT the advice and consent of the Senate, during a period when Congress WAS in session made an illegitimate Intrasession "recess" appointment to an agency that BY LAW mandated Senate approval for the Director of the agency!<br />
There are so many Constitutional violations here it is staggering.

Best Answer

To those with short memories, I respectfully submit:<br />
President Reagan made 243 recess appointments over eight years, President Bush (41) made 77 recess appointments over his one term, and President Bush (43) made 170 recess appointments in his eight years.

Best Answer

Irrelevant. Read the Details.

Best Answer

For those with even shorter memories the Dodd-Frank act was passed by a democrat congress and signed into law July 21, 2010 Some time after Reagan, Bush(41), Clinton and Bush(43) - We don't have ex post facto law. What previous presidents did is irrelevant.

Best Answer

How is history irrelevant?

Best Answer

How Olly North!

Best Answer

It's irrelevant because the same thing is not involved. Those previous presidents made recess appointments when Congress was officially in recess.

Best Answer

Reply by Atri Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:17PM
It is irrelevant because of the Dodd-Frank act. The law changed! So what Either Bush, Clinton or Reagan did have no legal or conversational meaning in this case. Obama has broken the law and I believe one he voted for after speaking on the house floor about a recess appointment made by Bush for an interim UN Sectretary for the US so we were represented at the UN meetings and UN Security Council. Now Obama has done exactly what he was so rabidly against as a Senator. I guess he thinks because he is a liberal Democrat he is above even his own laws. He is also stepping on and ignoring the US Constitution which provides for recess appointments, but only when Congress is NOT in session. This Congress is technically and actually in session even if working on Congressional "housekeeping" issues, and it was called in session by the Senate Majority leader, another liberal Democrat, Harry Reid. Folks you can't have it both ways, no matter how bad you want it.

Best Answer

0bama doesn't seem to realize that he isn't a dictator. This isn't the first time he has ignored his oath to uphold the Constitution and likely won't be the last. He has said that ' the Constitution is a hindrance to good government ' so we shouldn't be surprised when he ignores it.

Best Answer

He learned from Bush, my pal

Best Answer

Do you really think that excuse would fly in court? Well yer honor the other guys did it ! Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Does it really matter where he learned to do it? I have learned how to rob banks by watching the even news that doesn't make it okay for me to do it.

Best Answer

Actually Bush refused to do what Obama just did.

Best Answer

I must of missed something. This isn't surprising, for I am arriving late to everything even dinner.

Best Answer

I think Bush/Cheney had defiled the constitution way more than Obama has. But it all depends on which of the two sides you are on. Two choices are clearly more than enough to accurately portray a functional democracy. Hell, a more functioning democracy would be if we only elected from republicans right?

Best Answer

Oh I see your one of those guys that says if so and so broke the law them it is okay for me to do it too.

Best Answer

You can do whatever you want buddy.

Best Answer

The Constitution felt so dirty after that

Best Answer

Is that all you can come up with, How does me doing "what ever I want" excuse 0bama of breaking the law?

Best Answer

"if so and so broke the law them it is okay for me to do it too."
That is why I said you can do whatever you want.
Our last two presidents were war criminals georgie and billy both who sold our country out and you want to whine about Obama.

Best Answer

When confronted with obstructionist a@@holes he had to do something for the good of the country. Good for him--now let the whiners fight it out.

Best Answer

Even though he violated the Constitution and the Dodd-Frank act?

Best Answer

Don't be silly you know that when democrats make laws such as the Dodd-Frank act that they are exempt, those laws are only for the other guy not them.

Best Answer

Never stopped a Republican.

Best Answer

What Republicans would that be? We haven't had a republican president since the Dodd-Frank act was signed into law, so what republicans did or didn't do is not germane to the question.

Best Answer

Bush refused to make recess appointments during pro forma sessions, so, no, "Never stopped a Republican" isn't true.

Best Answer

BTW--just saw the Justice Department lawyers don't agree that it's un-Constitutional or illegal. You'll have to check with a lawyer to figure out why.

Best Answer

You know how much regard I have for Obama's Justice Department, which has sued states for illegal immigration laws which were copied and pasted from existing federal statues, which let the New Black Panthers off for having a man stand outside a Philadelphia polling place with a club while uttering emitting racial utterances.

Best Answer