Thanks for the reminder. I thought zero was invented by Indian mathematicians, and it well may have been. See this article for an interesting discussion of the History of Nothing [zero LOL].<br />
http://www.gap-system.org/~history/HistTopics/Zero.html<br />
The basis for my continued belief (see the article for approximate dates) is the presence of zero in Sanskrit texts such as Guru Gita [the book my today's avatar depicts which may be seen on gurugita.vpweb.com] which are said to be ancient compared to the relatively late dates of the Greeks and Romans. I concede someone may have modernized the available numbering system when enumerating the verse numbers. I'd never pondered that before...the Sanskrit available today may differ from the original and those crumbling documents are out of my reach. Another article shows the Nagari numbers as the 1st to include a symbol for "0" :<br />
"The Gupta numerals evolved into the Nagari numerals, sometimes called the Devanagari numerals. This form evolved from the Gupta numerals beginning around the 7th century AD and continued to develop from the 11th century onward. The name literally means the "writing of the gods" and it was the considered the most beautiful of all the forms which evolved. For example al-Biruni writes:-<br />
What we [the Arabs] use for numerals is a selection of the best and most regular figures in India. "

Best Answer

I - I

Best Answer

whats this?

Best Answer

The roman numeral for one minus one...haha

Best Answer

The notion of using a symbol to represent nothing was a big leap.<br />
So was hand washing, public sanitation, Democracy, birth control, accurate sea navigation, etc.

Best Answer

Come to think of it your right !

Best Answer

Best Answer

NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE BUT... OKAY? :) LOL

Best Answer

why rude ?? LOL!!!!

Best Answer

I MEAN ITS JUST NOT THAT BIG OF DEAL.. ACTUALLY ITS A LITTLE FUNNY YOU JUST DECIDED TO SHARE THAT LITTLE BIT OF INFORMATION.. ITS COOL :)

Best Answer

thanks

Best Answer

It's because they never realized the importance of nothing in a calculation

Best Answer

I've never really thought about that. You're awesome! :D

Best Answer

hey thanks

Best Answer

Now there is something I never thought about lol

Best Answer

Best Answer

Theres a book called "The Nothing that Is : A Natural History of Zero". Interesting ****

Best Answer

"The Nothing that is" ... sounds like an interesting title if a bit of an oxymoron ;-)

Best Answer