I am stringing failures together like pearls on a necklace. I have just failed again, this time at my medical lab tech program. It is all because of phlebotomy (drawing blood).
From the very begining, I did not want to do it. The thought of it made me feel sick. Now I have confirmed my incompetence. This past week I have failed miserably at it. I have made mistake after mistake and kept requiring help to fix my mistakes. Here's what I did:
1. forgot to untie the tourniquet (repeatedly).
2. did not stick the needle in far enough
3. stuck the needle in too far
4. did not anchor the vein.
5. could not find the vein
6. could not tie the tourniquet on properly
7. just plain missed the vein.
What marked the end was when on Tuesday at the end of the day, I missed on someone with really good veins. Then the next day, someone almost fainted. That was it for me. I knew I could not do it any longer. I had to quit.
Now I just feel kind of numb.