Lists O' Lessons
I moved into my own apartment when I was 19. I was a new Christian, an AmeriCorps volunteer on a stipend, and terrified of life in general (including and especially people in general). One of the things I did to encourage myself during this time was to keep a "List o' Lessons Learned" during each month tacked up on my front door.
I'm kind of moving into a new place in my life, and it's all scary again. You know, that whole figuring out what to do with myself, my days, my...kitten. So I pulled out my old lists from 2000. And you know what? Some of these lessons are still helpful today. So I'm relearning them. And sharing them here.
List o' Lessons Learned in February
- Each friend is an amazing gift from God.
- You can do a lot with a roll of packing tape.
- The Boise BUS system is really yicky.
- Always leave for work at 6:20 a.m. Not 6:30 a.m.
- Faith is a refusal to panic.
- Living alone (and without a car) requires dependence on the Lord and reliance upon friends.
- Don't forget to eat.
- It's okay to have an occasional sleepless night.
- If you do it now, you won't have to do it later.
- Small miracles are just as amazing as big ones.
- People who get around in cars conceptualize distance differently than people who frequently assume the title of "pedestrian."
- Always get exact directions to where you're going before you try to walk there.
- When Management gets involved, expect complex complications.
- Double check to make sure the front door is locked.
List o' Lessons Learned in March
- Check what they charge you at the grocery store.
- If you miss the first bus, catch the next one.
- If you're tired, go to bed early.
- Check on the weather so you can plan ahead.
- I don't understand God, but I know He is good.
- Keep in touch with your loved ones.
- Don't be stingy with your "thank yous".
- It's hard to cook with Oscar Meyer lunchmeat.
- Keep in touch with God: pray.
- The Lord's miracles are amazing.
- I can't help anybody if I don't let God help me.
- Keep careful account of cell phone time!
- Don't ask Mom for anything. [Yeah. This was the main reason I moved out on my own.]
- Things get ugly when you keep God out.
- Things get better when you let God in.
- It's okay to admit it when you're wrong.
List o' Lessons Learned in April
- Buy your bus pass before you need one and discover you don't have the current pass.
- What God gives me is enough.
- I am in very capable Hands.
- God provides.
- Follow where He leads.
- His work often shows up as big surprises.
List o' Lessons Learned in May
- You're not a failure until you quit.
- Pray to God and get to work.
- Opposition comes when we do God's work.
- When you miss the bus, you get to take a long walk.
- It is stupid to pretend that you know everything.
- Each choice is like standing at a crossroad: you have to choose which way to go--old way or new life.
- Let go and let God. Really.
- Forgiving doesn't always mean forgetting.
- God is a good Shepherd: He is trustworthy.
- People you know will let you down. It isn't the end of the world.
- God's got me and I'm safe.
- I am not in control and never have been.
- Clean the cat box every day.
List o' Lessons Learned in June
- I am a better teacher than I think I am.
- Trusting God is exhilarating and exhausting.
And yes, I did learn each and every one of these lessons the hard way.