Experience Project iOS Android Apps | Download EP for your Mobile Device

WARNING! Poisonous Sanitizer

Although the following account didn't happen to my family, as a Mother, the following report struck fear in my heart! PARENTS, GRANDPARENTS, AUNTS AND UNCLES, SIBLINGS... READ THIS FOR THE SAKE OF OUR CHILDREN!

I received an e-mail from someone just a few days ago, about their friend's SCARY experience! This woman's husband was called at work, and told to come get their child from school, as she was very sick and acting STRANGELY. When he arrived, his young daughter could barely raise her head and her eyes were unfocused.

The family immediately took her to the hospital where a series of tests were performed. Blood work and X-Rays came back normal! Finally, after the school had interviewed some of the girl's classmates, they discovered she'd been LICKING HER HANDS after using SANITIZER!! The hospital did a Blood Alcohol Level on the child, and it was 85%... 6 HOURS after getting to the hospital!! That was the equivelent of someone her size drinking 120 PROOF!!

Since this episode, further research has been done by the parents, and they discovered 3 SQUIRTS is FATAL to an infant! Scary to know that sometimes our best intentions are NOT the best option!  

emerald emerald 36-40, F 7 Responses Jun 18, 2007

Your Response


hmm. thanks for this story. I just read it.

Hand Sanitizer alcohol poisoning <br />
Ok. I don't know where to begin because the last 2 days of my life have been such a blur. Yesterday, My youngest daughter Halle who is 4, was rushed to the emergancy room by her father for being severely lethargic and incoherent. He was called to her school by the school secretary for being "very VERY sick." He told me that when he arrived that Halle was barely sitting in the chair. She couldn't hold her own head up and when he looked into her eyes, she couldn't focus them. <br />
<br />
He immediately called me after he scooped her up and rushed her to the ER. When we got there, they ran blood test after blood test and did x-rays, every test imaginable. Her white blood cell count was normal, nothing was out of the ordinary. The ER doctor told us that he had done everything that he could do so he was sending her to Saint Francis for further test. <br />
<br />
Right when we were leaving in the ambulance, her teacher had come to the ER and after questioning Halle's classmates, we found out that she had licked hand sanitizer off her hand. Hand sanitizer, of all things. But it makes sense. These days they have all kinds of differents scents and when you have a curious child, they are going to put all kinds of things in their mouths. <br />
<br />
Thank you <br />
Lacey Butler and family <br />
<br />
I wanted to share with you the same email I had recieved...

Yes, Paper, all you say is true. However, schools are trying to get it passed in our state to set up hand sanitizers in the lunch room, and have EVERY child use them before eatting. See the added dangers for little ones? And the child I spoke of was still highly intoxicated 6 HOURS after her hand-licking spree. And indeed I have another fear, now that the warning and side-affects are being made more public. HOW MANY TEENS or CHILDREN WII USE THIS AS A WARPED WAY OF GETTING DRUNK??? Don't say it wont happen cause how many sniff glue and gas just for the purpose of getting high? Will sanitizers be the next thing on market to get a person carded before they can buy it, just as glue now is in Wal-Mart stores??!!

I wanted to say that that this did in fact happen to two little girls but according to reports neither were seriously hurt. They were intoxicated and who knows how much it would take to kill a child! wieght, age and alcohol content has to be figured! No company or research facility has ever said how much of the product it would take to kill a child... You are warned to keep the product away from children (it's on the bottle) just like you would any other product that contains alcohol... Just a little FYI... Source

Oh my goodness ... thats what my mom uses for the kids at her house ... not anymore ... thanks for sharing sweety !!!

I wash my hands regularly, like I was taught when I was little... but people nowadays are keeping their bodies from building up a tolerance/immunity to dirt and grime and bacteria thanks to all of the anti-bac stuff they're using. The body needs exposure to these things to be able to stand against them... my kids will play in puddles and make mud pies, damnit! LOL

Thanks for sharing. It's good to know that the hand sanitizers have a direct effect on health. Hopefully this will get people to use it less, because the antibacterial revolution is also encouraging super germs, the .01% that are immune to the antibiotics. when the .01% are the only ones breeding, the numbers that are immune will increase.