Post
Experience Project iOS Android Apps | Download EP for your Mobile Device

Confused

I believe that there is a God. Many people like to use modern science as a means of disproving Christianity, but that just doesn't cut it for me. I am fully aware of and cannot deny the theory of evolution - the evidence is outstanding. And of course the earth isn't just 6000 years old... that's crazy talk.

However, I also believe that you can't test supernatural phenomena, like God, using earthly scientific tools.,, it just doesn't make sense. God does not have to conform to the rules of physics as we know them. Science does not prove nor disprove the existence of God in any way, shape, or form. I think that maybe people need to stop taking the bible so literally.

What I'm having trouble with is NOT whether or not He exists. I think He does. I just don't understand the "relationship" aspect of it all... does God really hear our prayers? And does he care enough to answer them? I used to have so much faith, but after years of seeing my prayers go unanswered, I've gradually lost that faith and can't seem to get it back. And, to be quite honest, I think I prefer life this way. I was miserable as a Christian because a) I was trying (and failing) so hard to be "perfect" all the time, and b) I was constantly being let down by failed prayer.

**If we are all God's children and meant for the kingdom of heaven, then why does everything about Christianity feel so unnatural?

Einstein believed that God created earth, but then ****** off after that and does not care to interact with humankind. I'm very sad to admit that I'm starting to feel the same way. I want so, so much to believe and to live the fulfilling, enriching life that so many Christians claim to lead, but it just doesn't seem to work for me. I can't say that I haven't tried. My only motivation for still keeping an open mind is the fear of Hell.

Can somebody with a very firm belief in God please tell me if you've experienced similar issues, and how they got past them? What makes a life with God so much better than one without?
beautyseeker beautyseeker 22-25, F 1 Response Jan 21, 2013

Your Response

Cancel

Hello beautyseeker you said:
:What I'm having trouble with is NOT whether or not He exists. I think He does. I just don't understand the "relationship" aspect of it all... does God really hear our prayers? And does he care enough to answer them? I used to have so much faith, but after years of seeing my prayers go unanswered, I've gradually lost that faith and can't seem to get it back. And, to be quite honest, I think I prefer life this way. I was miserable as a Christian because a) I was trying (and failing) so hard to be "perfect" all the time, and "

My reply:
Jesus never told me i had to achieve perfection in this faulty flesh body. Wow am i glad i never got that message from reading His Word. I read that i was to believe Jesus and trust in His Atonement for Salvation. Wow How simple is that :) Actually reading the Bible showed me that it is impossable for humans to be perfect and that it will be by the power of God upon the reasurection that we shall be transformed into perfect beings again.


beautyseeker said:
b) I was constantly being let down by failed prayer.

My reply:
Well God listens to the prayers of the rightious thats what the bioble says and we know that no human is Rightious in this fallen flesh don't we? Don't we? You said it yourself you got depressed "trying (and failing) so hard to be perfect". But wait a minue you say... If no one is rightious in the flesh then why do Christians pray? Well because Christians who BELIEVE Jesus the Redeemer and trust in His Atonement are DEEMED Rightious in Spirit.... I guess people have to read and Believe the Bible to find that out....


beautyseeker said:
**If we are all God's children and meant for the kingdom of heaven, then why does everything about Christianity feel so unnatural?

My reply:
I am wondering since you worked so hard to achieve perfection if you can justifiably state that Christianity is unatural. You didn't seem to understand that achieving perfection was not a requirement of Christianity.


beautyseeker said:
Einstein believed that God created earth, but then ****** off after that and does not care to interact with humankind. I'm very sad to admit that I'm starting to feel the same way. I want so, so much to believe and to live the fulfilling, enriching life that so many Christians claim to lead, but it just doesn't seem to work for me. I can't say that I haven't tried. My only motivation for still keeping an open mind is the fear of Hell.

My reply:
Fear of Hell never holds anyone for long. The "Love of the Truth" that Message of Jesus. Now that Holds people like a Steel Vice..
Now what does the Bible say about that Love that Holds:
1 John 4
" 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 19 We love Him because He first loved us.

Yep He loved us first, And guess what!!!! We had not achieved perfection to earn that love. :) That’s why it's called "perfect love" because it is not love as humans think of love. You know the type you got to Earn. The type that fist requires one to win the Admiration of the other...

This video says this in another context (during an islamic vs Christian debate) But it says it well. Ask yourself if your view of God leans towards the human type islamic view or the Christian one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsWUmsKsAKk


beautyseeker said:
Can somebody with a very firm belief in God please tell me if you've experienced similar issues, and how they got past them? What makes a life with God so much better than one without?

My reply:
Yes i had similar issues when i was a catholic. I got over it by Reading a King James Bible and finding out what Christianity actually is.
Blessings to you

All praise The Ancient Of Days

Thank-you Adstars for you thoughtful response. However, I still don't understand why so many of my prayers have gone unanswered. I assure you that I believed in Jesus with my whole heart and soul. I was so, so confident He heard my prayers that I never even questioned it. At first. I don't see how I could NOT have been deemed "Righteous in spirit", as you put it. My loss of faith has been an extremely gradual process.

I suppose perfection was maybe too strong of a word to use. I was more or less having trouble resisting behaviour that is "un-christian", so to speak. I'm not huge into alcohol and not at ALL into drugs, but I am a party-girl at heart. I like to have a good time once in awhile. And I definitely have a bit of a mouth on me, which gets me into trouble at times. I just didn't feel like I could be myself at church. I felt like I was "playing" christian and acting in ways that I thought I was supposed to act for fear of being a bad influence on the people around me. I didn't seem to fit in with the whole scene.

I actually have a King James Bible, and have probably read through most of it (not in order) over the course of many years. I guess I wasn't approaching it right? I was bored by it and never understood what I was supposed to be taking from it. Very bad attitude, I know, but it's the honest truth.